taller screen for r100 pd

Adam Gipp

Hi all
my father has recently bought a r100 pd and would like to know if there is a taller screen that you can get for this bike, had a look on mra but couldnt see anything.
Any advice would be greatfully recived.
many thanks Adam

Hi Adam, I had a SECDEM screen on my PD which was taller, but I don't know where it came from.

Regards

Try Motobins.co.uk www.motobins.co.uk

Their website is not brilliant but a call to them might find what you are looking for.

Hi all
my father has recently bought a r100 pd and would like to know if there is a taller screen that you can get for this bike, had a look on mra but couldnt see anything.
Any advice would be greatfully recived.
many thanks Adam

Have a look

Found a pic

Attachments

• old%20cottage%20and%20gspd (Small).jpg
    old%20cottage%20and%20gspd (Small).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 324
first

my first purchase was the Laminar Lip http://www.laminarlip.com/r100gs.php . this raises the screen height and redirects the air flow.
The medium height Parabellum screen followed for winter riding, as this is wider and gives greater protection.

Neither screen has eliminated the turbulance problem, my helmet just gets less of a battering. Neither screen cures the buffeting/bars movement when riding behind high sided vehicles.

SCREEN EXTENSION . .

. . need a simple clip-on screen extension that will go over the existing screen rubber beading . .

Parabellum

The Rolls Royce of screens for the R100GS-PD is the American made Parabellum. It's not cheap but it looks as if it does the job. Sometimes these turn up on Ebay.

http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/parabellum/bmw-sport.htm

I've got a Parabellum 'Touring Shield' on my R100GS - it's great:thumb

I'm 6'2" and the standard screen buffetted me horribly and noisily, and aimed all the rain and cr*p right at my eye level. The Parabellum is very quiet and deflects pretty much everything away - visor up at motorway speeds is fine and comfy.
The downside is it's perhaps not the prettiest thing to stick on the front of a bike - but for riding through the winter, who cares?

Graham

Did you have to send away to the States for your Parabellum or could you find someone over here who stocks them. If it came from the US, was there any problem with posting and packaging the thing?

Paul,
I'm afraid I was just lucky. I could only find the Secdem and whatever Motorworks stock in the UK, but then 'Givitsum' from this very forum imported a GS from the States the year before last which came with both the standard screen and the Parabellum, which he sold to me. (I think he just preferred the look of the standard one)

If I ever had to buy another screen I'd certainly consider importing another the same - it's got to be worth emailing Parabellum for a quote, the exchange rate is very good at the mo.
Graham

http://www.laminarlip.com/r100gs.php
i got one of them.
but i have fitted a taller screen with a curvature that wont accept the lippy thing :blast

so it's "neither here nor there" as the man said after putting his truss on upside down :D.

i reckon the lip would work well with a standard screen if you take the time to set it up / play with the position of it til it fits your height, posture, choice of helmet and the angle of the screen in the first place.
as my "dual lock" sticky pads gave up the ghost (it's how you secure the lip to the screen) i gave up too!
really must get some more pads.... or sell the lip :rolleyes: - coz the taller screen....aint bad....
:nenau

ohhhh decisions decisions! :D

There isnt much wrong with the stock screen if it is set right .

When I bought my bike the turbulence was terrible , and I tried to cure it by raising the screen higher.

This made it worse so I dropped it right down as low as it would go then raised it slowly.

It is best not far from the lowest position, any higher and the air just tumbles over the top.

IMHO most of the aftermarket lips and screen look plain ugly - I just wouldnt put them on the bike. no matter how well the worked.

And the prices are just plain ridiculous.

There isnt much wrong with the stock screen if it is set right .
And the prices are just plain ridiculous.

with respect to you Sir, :D
so much depends on your..
~height.
~your posture / deportment / way you sit on the bike.
~choice of helmet / peak / visor or goggles.

i do remember years ago reading in the pipe+slippers journal an excellent article that took most if not all of its wisdom from another article that had apparently been published in the 1930's :eek:.
the bottom line was a formula that was roughly speaking;
for ideal low turbulence set up, have the top edge of the screen low to mid slap bang in your eye line, when "slouching" (or tucked in at highER speed:augie) / so its just right for looking over the edge, in a sweet spot - little or no wind, when sitting "upright".
this at a distance of 12 and 3/4 inches (yes really:rolleyes:) away from your face / nose.
and allegedly Bobs yer Mother brother. :thumb2
this does work for me (including a big nose and open face lid:D) on most bikes i've had....
but haven't quite got it right yet on the R100GS :blast

as for aftermarket screen prices - yes, agreed.pricey!
its a known problem that we WILL pay to fix :rolleyes:.

must find a source for them "dual lock" sticky pads.... i reckon the Lippy thing is worth another go.

anyhow - hope thats some help...to some one. ;)

Adam

I have a taller than standard screen I bought long ago for my 1992 R100GS, but never fitted.
It is almost like new.... tiny scratch, and slightly smoked. It has a slight flip at top. (I cant post pics, but if you tell me your mail address I can take a pic or 2 and e mail them to you
If you want it, then call me on 07969 543 307, and I'll post to you.
£25 plus Postage sound okay? (Ive had it sat about for years)

Bub

thank you all

Hi bub and all.
I will forward all of this info to the older one who will be very greatful iam sure, Bub i would think he will contact you about the screen you have for sale if you can hold onto it for alittle while longer as he isnt computer user friendly as of yet.
many thanks Adam

Adam

I can wait... the screens been sitting here for years. But it might as well go to a good home. I dont want much cash for it because I havent got an airhead anymore, and unlikely to get another unless I win the lottery.
If it will help ya dad, then its gone to a good home, n he can buy me a beer if and when we ever meet!

Bub

UGLY ?

. . worrrever about screens being ugly, to make a bike look ugly & ungainly, you can't beat a topbox.

IMHO the angle of the screen is everything - the hieght is almost immaterial.

That is why some of the mini farings on bikes like the Ducati Monster work so well even although they apear to be 12" :augie:)too short to be effective, they just deflect the air up and over, without turbulence.

If you can get a good side on view of most effective screens you will see what I mean , they mostly slope nearer 45 degrees than 60.

I know that it is possible to make a huge ,fugly, exspensive screen that works, for folks who's thinking is rooted in the 1930s and who should probably be driving a cage anyway , but there is no need to , a well designed small one will work just as well and hopefully will look better and cost less too.

Adam

I have a taller than standard screen I bought long ago for my 1992 R100GS, but never fitted.
It is almost like new.... tiny scratch, and slightly smoked. It has a slight flip at top. (I cant post pics, but if you tell me your mail address I can take a pic or 2 and e mail them to you
If you want it, then call me on 07969 543 307, and I'll post to you.
£25 plus Postage sound okay? (Ive had it sat about for years)

Bub

Hi Bub

Do you still have the screen, what is it-is it the Ermax?

Bill

Back
Top Bottom