Oil leak final drive

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hey up
I cant beleive that a few days ago I read a post of a oil leak on back-end
Lo an behold I remove me wheel and I have the same - Or have I ??
Is the oil capacity 260 or 350 cc on a GS100 PD
Does overfilling cause backflow through the holes at side of the wheelstud holes
The reson I say this is that the bike is new to me and it was serviced a thou miles ago
Any other thoughts besides RTFM
I have read the manual
thanks for your patience :thumb

The brake pivot cam has two to four little rubber seals on it. Pull the shaft out and check these seals. otherwise it may be the big main seal on the drive.

not any of these holes ? i hope
bevel.jpg

if it is and you have had new bearings it has not been shimed up properly get it done properly ! or the taper bearing has shit itself anyway these are down to the shiny ally bit not seating in place properly
bevelsplit.jpg

ended up geting second hand one because i could find noone prepaired to sort it it is a prescision bit of kit that needs to have the correct tools used on it. Bm

ps
only rtfm if you have the clymer manual haynes dont cover rebuild of final drive

It certainly seems to be coming from those holes, I found ( honestly ) something which resebled a coffee bean in the center hole
Can the seals on the brake shaft let oil into the area and then it seep through
Lets hope so. The bike dosent seem to have any work done on it and has only done 35000 miles
Anymore thoughts
PS I have read your posting, but could I buggar as find it later when I was lookin for it :thumb2

after looking at it and scratching my head for a while i found the replacement bevel box with 6month waranty was probably the best idea. couldnt find any one to rebuild it and i dont have to tools needed to build it and shim it up corectly.
as far as i can see about the only way for oil to come out of those holes is if the taper bearing has a problem alowing the central bit with the bearing to work loose and let the oil through. do you have any play in the back wheel. think you need to find someone to rebuild the box. Bm

Back
Top Bottom