Looking for Trans Portugal

xrv

Reaction score
Hi

Thinking about my next return from Africa in the near future i would like to go up through Portugal as i have never been there before.I was recently told by a portugese biker i met in Morocco that there is an off road track running south/north through Portugal...i have looked for it on maps and googled it too but have found nothing.Does anyone know if this track exists or am i being led up the garden path....which would be fine if it was the length of Portugal.
Thanks

Dean

Have a look on advrider there's a Portuguese guy on there (he now lives in the States) who's posted a lot of threads covering a massive amount of the country.
He may be able to help.

Hi Dean. There really is a Trans Portugal Competition but is aimed more to Enduro Bikers.
We have two major other rallies that may be of interest for guys with big trails.
One is called Portugal Lés-a-Lés and is touring rally from north to south and only uses back roads and some unpaved roads. It is a two day ride and is 1000Kms long. Last edition was in Junenand there were 740 participants on 440 bikes. Next year it will be around 22 to 25 of May. If you're interested drop me a line and I'll send you more info on it.
The other one will be organised by me and a group of friends and is more or less the same as the Lés-a-Lés but with a lot more unpaved roads and will accept less participants for obvious reasons.
We're working on the date and the itinerary right now. I'll post the complete information in a few days.
Antonio

Last edited:
Hi Antonio,
I am in Obidos and would like to know more about your planned trip and the Les A Les.
Thanks
David

hi antonio. interested in les a les. normaly do trip to geres and poto most years i love it .normaly stay campo s geres and do a bit of tracks and trails riding. please contact me if you have anything planed . atelogo. murray.

Hi Antonio,
I am in Obidos and would like to know more about your planned trip and the Les A Les.
Thanks
David

Hi Mates,

I've been away for some time so I dont know if I'm answering too late.:(

The registrations have opened last weekend for the Lés-a-Lés tour.
The maximum number of registrations for this year's edition is 1000 but as far sa I know until yesterday 485 registrations were already done and paid for.
The cost is 150€ and includes all meals, road book, t-shirt, team number and control card and DVD of the tour (to be sent by mail a few weeks later).

Each team wil be composed of two bikes. Single bike teams are not allowed. In the event of having registrations of single riders he or she will be teamed with another rider in the same situation.

The event will start on Thursday 22th of May in Bragança with technicall verifications (tyres, exaust, insurance, driving license, Puncture repair Kit) and the tour will start next day at 7 am.

Note: All bikes MUST BE street legal, hence the tyres must be in good conditions and the exaust system cannot have a noise output above 86db or as stated on the grey card.

If the bike fails to pass technicall verifications it will not be allowed to participate and the registration fee will not be returned.

About the tour:

It will be about 1000Km long, done in two days, Starting in Bragança and having its first rest day at Coimbra.

The second day will take us from Coimbra to Sagres in the Algarve.

The average speed will be about 50Km/h and will be allways trough back roads.

Even though this is not a competition, each team must be on time at each control and in the event of not reaching in time there's a tolerance of 30 minutes.

My experience tells me that each participant will spend about ten to twelve hours driving each day so only skilled drivers should apply.

For those of you that may be able to read a bit of spanish or portuguese here is the link for the Portuguese Federation of Motorcyclists:

http://www.fnm.pt/fnm/artigo.asp?cod_artigo=154712

I've been in touch with the organisation and manage to secure ten entries for those of you willing to participate.

As I'm not allways around the forum those of you interested should send me an email stating that and giving me your contact (phone, cellular) in order to allow me to talk to you about the details.

What else can I say?

If you really want to know as much of Portugal (the least known areas) as you can in three days, this is the Tour for that.

I'm sure that once you've done it the first time you will most certainly come back for more.

Imagine a bike feast with more than thousand blocks riding bikes ranging from small 50cc scooters to Goldwings and trykes, all at once in the road crossing villages where seldom passes a car...

It never ceases to amaze me how we can ride for so much time in a small country like Portugal.

Hope to see a lot you coming this way.

I have an offroad route (mapsource .gdb) from north to south that was sent to me by Markie Wales on advrider,I hope he won't mind me passing it on :thumb but it's 1.1mb so I can't attach it here.:nenau

Tony

hi antonio. interested in les a les. normaly do trip to geres and poto most years i love it .normaly stay campo s geres and do a bit of tracks and trails riding. please contact me if you have anything planed . atelogo. murray.

Hi Murray,

Here go some video links related to Lés-a-Lés just to complement the information given in previous threads.

News in TV about the Tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoKTGfXWZYU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjV5b6ObtU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmAmruVDqM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2LWE8_LHuo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_DyKaaBd4M&feature=related

If you feel tempted to take part on it send me an email...

C U soon.

I'm off to Portugal in March - I'd love to get the map you speak of. How can I get it of you (if you are willing to share) :)

hi antonio is there a map of the les a les route available on line. by the way what bike do you ride. do you no of any good rides up in geres?not on line very often so will pick up message in few days .obrigado. atelogo. murray.

About the maps...

hi antonio is there a map of the les a les route available on line. by the way what bike do you ride. do you no of any good rides up in geres?not on line very often so will pick up message in few days .obrigado. atelogo. murray.

Sorry Murray, but this year's edition map is not availabale yet.

If you drop me a line telling when you're coming down here I'll be glad to meet you somewhere and pay you a beer and give you the printed copy of one of the roadbooks done in previous Lés-a-lés.:beerjug:

Antonio

I have an offroad route (mapsource .gdb) from north to south that was sent to me by Markie Wales on advrider,I hope he won't mind me passing it on :thumb but it's 1.1mb so I can't attach it here.:nenau

Tony

No problem at all - in fact I strongly encourage everyone to share it round!

markie underscore wales at hotmail dot com if you want a copy.

cheers

Markie

Back
Top Bottom