GPS

falcoron

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a GPS, but im a tight arse! not really doing any long tours or anything just like gadgets. Seen quite a few Garmin street pilot 3 delux very resonable on e bay and wondered if these are ok for a bike and what do i need to mount it to my 1150gs. These are probably old hat by now but as long as it does what its supposed to, i can use it in the car anyway just wondering what the honourable tossers thought.
Cheers :beerjug:

I'm still using a SP111 DL and while the newer models are more user friendly, it still does what sat-navs do. I have mine mounted on the cross bar in a BMW cradle (about £12), bike powered, and running through my Autocom.

Let me down a bit to start with but to be honest I think that was more down to me not really knowing how to use it properly. Reading the instructions helped! It's got me into and out of some Cities I'd have been completely lost in on trips, so all in all I can't complain, and as you've mentioned they're cheap as chips just now.

get a 2610

:thumb2

Or a Quest1, not the next version (surprisingly enough a Quest2) :aidan.

SPIII feels unuseable after a Quest or the 26 range.....the latter are under £200 for all you need now and hugely superior.

buy a map.

lit ets you look at where you're going before you go. Gives you the pleasure of thinking about your route rather than simply following the machines instructions. You may also learn some geography from the map, which is highly unlikely if you just use the satnav.

Having said that I have a Quest (1) and think it's fantastic. I've been round Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland) - but I also have a map. (Maybe I'm a luddite)

As an example, if you don't do your homework before you go anywhere you might miss something interesting. On a recent trip I had a fantastic ride over the St Gothard Pass, whilst a friend travelled through the tunnel (17 km of Hell), the only difference was I used a map & then programmed the satnav, he simply took the satnav at face value.

Gadgets and Gizmo's are all fun, but make sure you have worked out what you want it to do - otherwise you could be disappointed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave#...

I used a map & then programmed the satnav

Absolutely, I wouldn't do it any other way. Paper maps rule for route planing but a sat nav. is a fantastic tool once you've decided where you want to go and what route you want to follow. In the main all a sat nav does for me is provide a convenient method of presenting that preplanned route in close detail whilst I ride rather than have a small section of a folded, inappropriately large scale map in the pocket of my tankbag.

Oh yes, another vote for the Quest 1 here as well.

If its mainly as a gadget I'd recommend a Quest from ebay. I got one for £100 - the maps aren't the latest, but the UK roads aren't that dynamic. When the occasional bypass doesn't appear a bit of common sense should see through even those with a weak sense of direction (ie me).
the quest has a rechargable battery which mean you can navigate yourself around your garden/park etc - which is always handy :thumb

Im new to satnav aswell but have used it already on a few trips Chester, Lincoln and Liverpool.
Benefits: Much safer, no pulling over to look at maps,no unexpected U turns.
Map illuminated at night, if you wear glasses its easier to read the GPS than a map.
The main part of most journeys is usually straight forward:augie
and the last mile in a city can be take half an hour but not with GPS.

Love my maps as back up and route planning.

GPS adds to the fun:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom