Crossing the Pyrenees from Spain to France; what's the most spectacular route?

CoffinDodger

As the title says, I'm looking for the most scenic, spectacular route across the Pyrenees. I'll be riding a K1200 LT SE so it has to be an asphalt/concrete surface. I'll be travelling on or around 4th November so if there's a chance of any snow, I'd like to try and avoid it.
Suggestions are welcomed

As the title says, I'm looking for the most scenic, spectacular route across the Pyrenees. I'll be riding a K1200 LT SE so it has to be an asphalt/concrete surface. I'll be travelling on or around 4th November so if there's a chance of any snow, I'd like to try and avoid it.
Suggestions are welcomed

The n230 is a must do road,but there is a good chance of snow in november.

Likely to be lots of snow in November so it may be an idea to use either the Bielsa or Vielha tunnels to avoid the highest passes.

Did it last month (August/September) its all good but I found the French side just that bit better.

Motorcycle Sport and Leisure did it in the August issue I think. Their route looked pretty good. I basically hit Pamplona on the way back from the Horizons Unlimited bash in Portugal and turned right zig zagging my way down to Andora before heading North again through the South of France. (2988 miles in 9 days)

The roads were fantastic lots of bends watch out for the eagles there BIG one tried to land on my Helmet:eek: Some roads are a lot narrower than you would expect looking at the map. Oh yea Cows watch out for them to as they roam free on the mountains and like to hang about near the roads.

Road works. They were digging a lot of roads up laying pipes look out for unmarked big holes in the road that will swallow your front wheel. They don’t bother marking things up on the Spanish side

The roads to Andorra will probably be kept snow free for longest if the weather does turn bad, but it's not the most attractive or scenic route.

Vielha would be my suggestion. Or the coast road on the Med coast is not too bad, not too high, and will probably be a little milder.

Snow in November

You would be unlucky to find snow in the mountains at this time of the year. Over the last several years winter appears to be coming later. Last week we received a dusting on the high peaks.
If it does turn cold, its around 15 degrees now and the forecast for the next severals day is good, stay of those wonderful biker friendly winding roads through the mountains. You can quite easily get caught with black ice and slippery roads.
Keep an eye on the weather and change your route accordingly.

Safe Riding
CliveS

Guys,
Thanks very much for the advice and comments - most appreciated. I shall plan accordingly!

Back
Top Bottom