Trip preparation

JD65

First post, so hello to everyone.

I am heading of on a trip to africa in January on my 07 GSA, any tips on preparing the bike and what spares to take, if any? I don't want to miss out on any riding for the want of a part worth a few £ or a lack of protection.

Thanks

I guess it depends on how far you are going. If it`s Morocco you may want to post this on the Travel section amd you`ll get loads of help from Timolgra et al.

Have you checked out the Horizons Unlimited website? They offer the best advice on all things when travelling by bike and you should get all the info you need from there.:thumb

All you`ll get on here is "1200 to Africa, you need an 1150":hide

Have a great trip.

I've never done any adventure/off road travelling, but from experience and reading others' posts on here you might want to consider taking a fuel pump controller (which I think are about £45) and a ring for the EWS (fits round the ignition and interacts with your key). The former is a straight swap. I don't know how much the latter costs, or how it is fitted, I'm afraid.

I don't carry either of these, although my fuel pump controller when I was just about as far from home as I've been on the bike (Austria). But that was still not far from the nearest dealers, a situation you may not find replicated in Africa.

Good luck!

trip prep

hi
here are a few basics .
spare oil , spark plug ,tool kit baby wipes ,liquid puncture repair . lanyard for keys ,nothing worse than losing your keys .pull out mini rucksack . pen.cash.

Thanks guys
Just for info i'm heading to timbuktu. plug is a good idea:)

I'll be fitting TKC80 tyres, has anyone tried any of these puncture repair/prevent liquids. Any pro or cons or just not worth bothering with .

JD - I've copied your thread here - wider and experienced audience may get you more tips :thumb2

Have you done any trips on this scale before?

There's a thread somewhere where Steptoe and I outline the spares we carry but you'll want to modify that for your 1200, fuel pump energiser, sidestand switch, rear drive oil seal and EWS thingy.
Re. tyres. Lots of conflicting ipinions on puncture prevention, feck even my own opinions are conflicting:D

Take a Tyre Plugger kit, tubes and levers, you can't guarantee you won't rip a sidewall and that will stop you.

If you have space, just pack some good luck and that'll be all you need:thumb

Just back from a 7 week trip. I took the extended tool kit, some more tools of my own, some odd bits of wire, screws, bolts, cable ties, gaffer tape, spare bulbs, standard puncture repair kit, slime electric tyre pump, wet wipes.

I didn't take oil, spare spark plugs or any of the other things suggested. IMHO whatever you take in spares it will be something else that goes wrong.

In the event, the bike didn't miss a beat in 8,200 miles. Because of the high milage I had a service by BMW in Casablanca. If you have problems they can get things in for you. Also talk to your dealer about fedexing stuff through to you.

Tim

Just back from a 7 week trip. I took the extended tool kit, some more tools of my own, some odd bits of wire, screws, bolts, cable ties, gaffer tape, spare bulbs, standard puncture repair kit, slime electric tyre pump, wet wipes.

I didn't take oil, spare spark plugs or any of the other things suggested. IMHO whatever you take in spares it will be something else that goes wrong.

In the event, the bike didn't miss a beat in 8,200 miles. Because of the high milage I had a service by BMW in Casablanca. If you have problems they can get things in for you. Also talk to your dealer about fedexing stuff through to you.

Tim

Tim, i was thinking of getting a service in Casablanca. Have you got the contact details? Just book it in and arrive....
Nige

Back
Top Bottom