Wildcat - Adventure!!

Gordon

Reaction score
Today was a sad occasion - washed Morocco of my bike. I arrived back home last Tuesday after the most wonderful tour of Morocco. I had planned and saved for nearly a year and had placed my trust in Wildcat Adventures to deliver 'the experience of a lifetime' - tall order but they managed it.

Morocco was everything I expected and more. Majestic cities, breathtaking passes, the silence of the desert and the grandeur of the canyons. The people were both curious and friendly. Food was served in tagines, camel herds roamed the Draa Valley, a spectacular sandstorm blew over Merzouga.

17 of us on 14 bikes (GS1150, GSA1150, GS1200s, GSA1200s, 650 Dakar, V-Stroms, Transalps) covered 3,500 wonderful miles over 10 full days in Morocco.

Bike problems? Yes. I have always felt that the way a company responds to a problem tells a lot about how they care for their clients. Wildcat didn't disappoint.

We encounter two major problems. A 'sick' GS1200 was towed to Plymouth and pushed onto the Santander Ferry. John (MD at Wildcat Adventures) and Brigitte (guide, translator and all-round caring person) ensured that the Santander BMW dealer met the bike off the ferry and both stayed with the bike and rider until a new fuel pump was fitted. About 5 days into the tour, the 650 Dakar stopped charging (alternator, we think). Again, Wildcat stepped up to the mark and arranged a 'fix' - truck battery wired up and housed in a pannier - which allowed the rider to enjoy the rest of his holiday.

Wildcat took care of the ferry bookings, hotel accommodation and getting the bikes in and out of Tangiers. This left us to get on with enjoying ourselves. The route was great and it was obvoius that John and Brigitte have spent a LOT of time in Morocco and and highly knowlegeable about the country's culture and geography.

Initially I considered this trip a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience. Now that I have been to Morocco I can't wait to get back.

Advice? - Give it a go

Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no relationship with Wildcat Adventures who can be contacted at http://www.wildcat-adventures.co.uk/

Attachments

• 100_4555_mersouga7.jpg
    100_4555_mersouga7.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 331
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 332
  • camelsign.JPG
    camelsign.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 329
  • camels.JPG
    camels.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 330
  • tagine.JPG
    tagine.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 328
and finally, the thinks I took and was so glad I did ....

camera (so much to photograph), gel hand wash (reckon this kept me free from 'runny bottom syndrome') and HG AirII Jacket (kept me from dying from heat exhaustion)

Attachments

• sandstorm.JPG
    sandstorm.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 317
  • tizntez.JPG
    tizntez.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 316
  • valley.JPG
    valley.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 317
Seconded. I was on this tour with Gordon and can similarly recommend it and Wildcat. Gordon could also have added that there were opportunities to ride in small groups or solo during most of the trip. His list of bikes seems to have omitted my R1200ST which aquitted itself well as the tour was tarmac based. There was some limited opportunity for the GS fraternity to get dirt under the wheels.

Morocco, huge country, big scenery, hot & dusty. The ride through Glen Coe will always now feel insignificiant. The run through Spain also again highlighted how good spanish roads are for bikes.

Weather mid 20s to mid 30's was a bit warmer than expected for the time of year (Oct) with only a couple of rain showers during the whole holiday. People were very friendly and helpful. You just could not imagine UK police waving or saluting when a group of bikes rode past yet this was a common reaction from the Moroccan police.

Downside - away from hotels, toilets that could have starring role in Trainspotting. Not quite enough time in the tour schedule to get out into the Sahara dunes on camel or 4x4. I would nonetheless definitely go back to Maroc.

His list of bikes seems to have omitted my R1200ST which aquitted itself well as the tour was tarmac based

Oops! Sorry Wicker. He should also have added that the 1200ST also aquitted itself over some piste.

Cheers

Whe are you going back?

Tomorrow if I could. Best motorcycling holiday I've ever been on (and I've been on lots) Winter months are traditionally when I get the maps out - Morocco is certainly an option for 2008

Cheers

Attachments

• sandstorm2.JPG
    sandstorm2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 249
  • sandstorm3.JPG
    sandstorm3.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 249
  • ait1.JPG
    ait1.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 250
  • Ait2.JPG
    Ait2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 249
  • camels2.JPG
    camels2.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 246
Takes your breath away, the first time doesn't! Glad you enjoyed it ..... and so much more waiting for yet another year!

:thumb

Mike

Morocco

Gordon/Wicker

Thank's for the wee post, I've signed up with WCT for April/May run next year and really looking forward to it.

:beerjug:

Schultz

the prices look a bit steep :eek:

how come you didnt go with Moto Morocco? :nenau

Hi Trev

No particular reason comes to mind,I have however met John and Briggite when they visited the local BMW club in 2005 and was well impressed with there presentation and it was obvious then that they both have an excellent knowledge of Morocco.

It would be fair to say that I believed Moto Morocco were more into the off road stuff which I have no experience of and my bike at time of booking wouldn't have been suitable,I have since learnt that they do do a Black stuff only run.

I donot however take away from the knowledge and experience that the Moto Morocco team have gained over the last couple of years.

:beerjug:

Schultz

the prices look a bit steep

how come you didnt go with Moto Morocco?

To cut a long (and detailed) assessment short, I looked at 'total cost' price, coupled with details/feedback from some folks that had gone with a number of tour organisers before and reached the conclusion that Wildcat was the winner for me. I wanted to experience Morocco rather than focus on road/off road and Wildcat didn't dissapoint. Other companies might do likewise. The main this is - go - its such a wonerful experience!

Back
Top Bottom