F650GS: 790-820
F800GS: 850-880
R1200GS: 850-870
R1200GSA: 895-915

Anyway, here's a video of the F650 offroad: http://www.youtube.com/user/MC24NO

And some others...

Tim

800GS pictures from the NEC as requested by Wizard

Seeing as the live video link would not work yesterday here are some pictures from the NEC some showing paticulkar areas of interested to the Ginger Windger :augie:aidan

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

Rather smart Akra end can complete with carbon fibre outlet.

DSCN0073.jpg

Standard height seat seems to be narrower than the current 650GS but still seems comfortable.

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

Vario panniers are specific to the bike, but the top box is the same as used on the 1200GS just without the trim.

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

Body work easily removed for customisation, the screen does not appear to be adjustable for height though. :nenau

All in all seems to be a winner, had to be one of the most popular items on the stand. :thumb2

Interesting position for the oil filter. I hope that cover is reinforced!!

225751600-M.jpg

225751844-M.jpg

I was able to get a range of 300+ miles on my standard 22l 1150 tank on really crap fuel - the tank size on the 800 is the one big question mark over it AFAIC.
So do the math. If the 800 was a lardy as the 1150 with a similarly inefficient engine (but a 16-litre tank), then by your figures it would do 218+ miles.

Fortunately the F800 is a lot lighter than the 1150GS and the engine is far more efficient. In reality you should factor in at least 10% better mileage--the 1200GS was quoted as 12% more fuel efficient than the 1150GS, so expect the same or more. This lifts your comparative range to 240+ miles.

16 litres may not be enough for some people, but whatever capacity BMW provides, some will still want 50 litre tanks.

So do the math. If the 800 was a lardy as the 1150 with a similarly inefficient engine (but a 16-litre tank), then by your figures it would do 218+ miles.

Fortunately the F800 is a lot lighter than the 1150GS and the engine is far more efficient. In reality you should factor in at least 10% better mileage--the 1200GS was quoted as 12% more fuel efficient than the 1150GS, so expect the same or more. This lifts your comparative range to 240+ miles.

16 litres may not be enough for some people, but whatever capacity BMW provides, some will still want 50 litre tanks.

Maybe, but to turn it round the other way, putting range first and working backwards, a 240+ miles range would not have been enough on my last trip out into the wilds. We needed 300+, and used that amount on a number of occasions, and on one particular leg we needed to carry extra fuel too (PITA). I would have liked to have seen a tank capacity on this bike that would allow for 300+ miles on low-octane leaded fuel and with the bike set-up to run on that fuel (no cat, etc), which at a guess would be something like 18 -19 litres, although it would be lovely to think it could do it on 16.

Anyway it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned, given that I'm probably going to get one anyway!!!

Pluck

As seen at the NEC Show:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

I thought it had potential . . but I think the F800GS is better.

Bob.

I think the Tenere will be the new machine of choice for the overlander types now that the old F650GS single has been deleted from the BM range.

I have to say I was very impressed by it. Large fuel tank, simple and sturdy looking, exhausts tucked right out of the way.

My only gripe would be the front screen plastics being a bit fancier than required and the clocks seemed high. Probably OK when standing but could effect vision on rough ground.

I have though it would be easier to maintain in the outback than a 800GS?

the new tenere comes in at 183kg , here is all the technical data . and at £4900.00 what a bargain
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660z.jsp?view=techspecs

Afraid to say at that price it does sound very good. Don't forget too that many jap bikes sell for less than retail in the end.

Once the early birds have had their pickings the price could drop by a few hundred.

I wouldn't be too worried about riding and abusing a bike at under 5K. Once you get to 7K I'd start to feel more protective.

Sure the road testers will slate it for lack of thrills but theres a lot to be said for a bargain work horse.

One of the bikes at the show had the Akra can but neither came with handguards even though the yellow one had heated grips.

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

The luggage is a variation of the varios used on the 1200GS rather than the original 650GS and the top box is the same as that of the 1200GS but without the silver panel.

As has been said handguards are not mentioned on the configurator but they are on the list of accessories on the press releaseso I think they will appear later as an extra.

► Magazine/journalist reviews (consolidated)

The March edition of 'Motorcycle Sport & Leisure' landed on the mat this morning.

Next month's main attraction is a road test of the F800GS (black and yellow model from the photo).

April Edition officially on sale from 7th March (mine is on subscription, so should arrive earlier).

By then I guess all the bike mags will be reporting on it.

Bob.

In IMHO terms I'm slightly dissapointed, it doesn't look half as promising for me now: no bottom end punch! :( And also, strangely, no top end punch eighter, so how they've tuned the engine then? They claim it should be bottom end oriented compared to the rest of the 800s and yet there's no bottom end punch?! :confused:

Having said that I'd doubt about the guys judgment is correct about it's being a better allrounder travel bike than the 1200. MASSIVE low grunt is the absolute first must from the engine side for any big traile you comfortably want to travel with IMHO - it's pointless to hunt for that horsepower spec with compromise on taking away the low rpm power. That's why I stay away from overly revvy horsepower oriented 950/990s and Japanese GS v-twin wannabees etc, so far I've never tasted no similar capacity big trailie having better low rpm punch than the boxer does. And I'm profoundly happy at least one make (BMW) has got "it" right with their engine (boxer) by not going into horsepower competition, but looks like this is about to change with the coming of revvy 800s?
Bike being slimmer is also no excuse for better allrounder = the seat is narrower too, less comfty and more cramped ride. In fact the bike looks so small and cramped for a long distance bike, I'd say the F800GS is in the same size as the old F650GS single was, or the riders are just so big sized(?)

Anyways, mags never are close to the individual reality, so it's always better to test it yerself.

From overall balance nice review tho :thumb

I was peeking through a preview of an article which will be published on the italian motorcycle magazine "Motociclismo" and they were saying pretty much the same thing - awesome handling but unexpected lack of power :spitfire .

I must say I'd be quite surprised (if it ends up to be true, of course :p).

I will be buying this magazine shortly (March edition) and read the full article....

Going to post the updates.

Cheers
:beerjug:

My friends, don't be so worried about these essasy - if you plan buying one ;-).

We all should be aware that BMW may have deliberately made a smooth engine and not particularly powerful in order not to invade the R1200GS segment. Notably, these bikes will be carefully balance between for the off-road and road use - so the F800GS will not be as stunning as the R1200GS on road but probably a bit nipper in off-road.
Anyhow, who cares how this bike speeds up from 200 up to 210? Imagine yourself with the panniers and loads of things on the back... Get the F800S (or ST) and it will fly better that the R1200GS at that speed!
Be sure that it will be a really valid and good product. It is just filling in the gap between the G650 and the R1200.
I just don't buy this bike because I don't plan changing by bike. Whereas if you were waiting for it - just grab it as soon as possible :thumb. BMW is trusted to release excellent and never disappointing products (my biased opinion :D)

Back
Top Bottom