How do I update Garmin maps

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2610 is running city Nav Europ v7 - to date I've been quite happy with this, but I'm heading to Spain next week and there is clearly better coverage in v9.
I can't work out how and how much I to get v9 onto my GPS :confused:

I can see how to order the discs and I found a pages that said $299 for the US market. If it costs that much then I'll manage without - probably cheaper to buy a new GPS!

The Garmin web site seems a bit poor to me. There is an option to enter my GPS series number, but it says there are no map updates - seems odd.
I can't get into My Garmin, despite trying the forgotten password and using the temporary one they emailed me. :spitfire

Any advice appreciated.

v10 will be out early next year. ask garmin to send discs when they are available, install, get (buy) unlock code from garmin site for about $85 :)

they're not giving any unlock codes for v9 as v10 is imminent.

If you want v9 mapping your only current option is to get hold of a copy of Metroguide Europe v9 and upload that to your 2610 using MetroWizzz to make it routeable. You can get Metroguide from eBay or if you're feeling naughty I believe you can get it via a torrent. As Metroguide requires no unlock code it is unencumbered by the issue of having to obtain one from Garmin.

MetroWizzz is free or you can get the more intuitive Gold version for a small contribution. Metroguide has an oddity in the audio directions where roundabouts are concerned in so much as it doesn't recognise them as roundabouts, only junctions. So instead of saying "take the third exit" it will just say "turn right". A quick glance at the screen will show you where you should be going if there's any doubt. The on screen directions will be the same as for City Nav.

However, I would say, unless you've got lots of free time before departure to set this up and experiment to ensure you've got it working correctly, that it's a little too late to start trying to do this. If you do go ahead ensure you recalculate all your routes, if you've already created them, in Mapsource using Metroguide. If you don't your 2610 will have to do the recalc itself which will be inconvenient whilst out on the road.

If you want v9 mapping your only current option is to get hold of a copy of Metroguide Europe v9 and upload that to your 2610 using MetroWizzz to make it routeable. You can get Metroguide from eBay or if you're feeling naughty I believe you can get it via a torrent. As Metroguide requires no unlock code it is unencumbered by the issue of having to obtain one from Garmin.

MetroWizzz is free or you can get the more intuitive Gold version for a small contribution. Metroguide has an oddity in the audio directions where roundabouts are concerned in so much as it doesn't recognise them as roundabouts, only junctions. So instead of saying "take the third exit" it will just say "turn right". A quick glance at the screen will show you where you should be going if there's any doubt. The on screen directions will be the same as for City Nav.

However, I would say, unless you've got lots of free time before departure to set this up and experiment to ensure you've got it working correctly, that it's a little too late to start trying to do this. If you do go ahead ensure you recalculate all your routes, if you've already created them, in Mapsource using Metroguide. If you don't your 2610 will have to do the recalc itself which will be inconvenient whilst out on the road.

Do you know if this will work with the Garmin 2620??

Do you know if this will work with the Garmin 2620??
It works on my Quest so I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work on a 2620. Like the Quest the 2620 runs on plain City Nav rather then the NT version. Having said that I think the more recent models can still run non NT mapping so it should work on them as well.

Metroguide has the added advantage of smaller map tiles (like the City Select products of yesteryear) which for my Quest is a boon. Due to the limited fixed memory (less relevant to 26** onward) fitting mapping for a long European tour wasn't possible with the more recent City Nav v8 and later as their map tiles were so much bigger. See here for a detailed explanation of the difference between City Nav 8 and City Select 6 (the latter has map tile sizes similar to Metroguide). The above shouldn't be an issue in the 2620 though.

Does your 2620 have solid state memory or a mini hard disk? If the latter I thought these were unsuitable for bike use?

Does your 2620 have solid state memory or a mini hard disk? If the latter I thought these were unsuitable for bike use?

Thanks for that, yes it has a micro drive built in. however it’s my friends GPs not mine I have the 2610
He is on ver 6 city nav and looking to update for a trip in early May but Garmin say he will have to wait for v10 as its due for release so this would be a good stop gap for now

Back
Top Bottom