GPS Help

mylesm

Hope someone can Help :thumb

I am considering buying a secondhand Sat-Nav for my F650GS
Garmin Quest most likely I am confused regarding updates

Hopefully someone can help me with the following Questions

If I buy secondhand can I update the maps

I live in Ireland and I believe that only Version 9 covers Ireland well as this is now finished in anticipation of a new version early 2008 will this version be able to be loaded on a quest

any advise much appreciated

mylesm

You will be able to update a Quest with new maps. Look for City Navigator V9 or V10 (not V9 NT or V10NT which is used on other models). Remember that the Quest has limited memory and each successive version of the maps takes up more of that limited space.

Buying a used Garmin, be sure to get the unlock code from the seller, it's on a yellow slip of paper in the box. You'll probably need to get the seller to agree to confirm with Garmin that you're the new owner. To get updates you'll need to register with Garmin and they won't do this if it's registered to someone else as they assume it's stolen unless they can confirm that it's been legitimately sold.

Next problem is that you can no longer upgrade to City Nav. v9 as they've announced the release of v10, not due until early next year. Garmin do this for some reason... This leaves you needing to buy a version with v9 already installed which will be very rare on the 2nd hand market as sellers are unlikely to upgrade before sale.

The options, as I see it, if you can't locate used with v9; Are to either buy one of the refurbed/discontinued ones (about £190) with v9 and an unlock code in the box (make sure it hass v9) or to buy a 2nd hand one and use Metroguide and Metrowizzz (do a search here) until v10 is out.

If I buy a secondhand quest with say version 7 canit be upgraded to version 10 when it becomes available for just the upgrade price or do i have to have version 9 thanks
mylesm

If I buy a secondhand quest with say version 7 canit be upgraded to version 10 when it becomes available for just the upgrade price or do i have to have version 9 thanks
mylesm

AFAIK they don't make you have every update in sequence. So you should be alright.

Also, make sure it's an "Atlantic" basemap, unless you're planning on using the GPS mainly in the USA. And even then I'd get the Atlantic one.

bought quest

Thx everyone for replies bought quest with ver 9 cn working great

Back
Top Bottom