maybe morocco in may

pat the rat

hello the people,
have being looking through the morocco threads and a goldmine of info.

seriously considering a trip to morocco around the end of may. Liz and I, and possibly another couple.

Liz and I have traveled a bit. France, Spain and Norway. The others to Scotland. So this will be different for us all which is why we want to go!

Naturally a bit thoughtful about security, dress for the women and accommadation. Camping is a option for us. We're on a 1200adv with road tyres and my friend is on a 650 v-strom, although he and his significent other are off to the NEC bikeshow and he tells me he wants a gs.

We want to ride down and back and have 3 weeks to play with so, 7 to 10 days in Morocco should be on the cards.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Silly question.:blast Is it possible to ride, with a pillion, from southern Morocco or Western Sahara to Timbouctou in Mali, then go east through Niger, north through Algeria and into Tunisa, with the intention of getting a ferry to Sicily?
That bit up through the Sahara looks very interesting on the map. Sorry:eek:

pat the rat

Silly question.:blast Is it possible to ride, with a pillion, from southern Morocco or Western Sahara to Timbouctou in Mali, then go east through Niger, north through Algeria and into Tunisa, with the intention of getting a ferry to Sicily?
That bit up through the Sahara looks very interesting on the map. Sorry:eek:

pat the rat

Pat ...... think you may be pushing it somewhat (to put it very mildly!) to cover the intinerary you've described in just 3 weeks (if I've interpreted your post correctly) to and from the UK/Eire!

Have a good look at some maps and do the maths on the kind of mileages involved, remembering that you will not be riding on the sorts of road surfaces you're used to at home.

FWIW, for a first trip to N.W.Africa, settle on seeing a bit of Morocco. Some fantastic roads (tarred & pistes), amazing landscapes, friendly people (particularly away from the cities), and a radically different culture to that of western Europe.

Security (and road safety) are more of an issue riding through Spain than Morocco.

Ideally no strappy tops (bare shoulders) for the women. One thing you'll notice is sat TV dishes everywhere receiving free-to-air Egyptian channels, consequently the Moroccans are exposed to all sorts of rubbish TV and they are a lot less sensitive to dress than they used to be.

Pat ...... think you may be pushing it somewhat (to put it very mildly!)

very veeeery mildly :eek:

Algeria, Niger: no way you will do that in just three weeks. Don't forget Algeria requires you to take a guide for travelling the country. You will need a carnet too (£££). And the motorway connecting Niger and Algeria is just a bit different from what we know in western Europe (to put it very mildly :rolleyes:). Road tyres, two up? :nono

Just stick to Morocco (not even Western Sahara). You will find it hard not to have a good time. It has more to offer than you could possibly cover in three months and areas are very different.

Have fun

T

what about hooking up with one of the tour companies?

like maybe one advertised on here? :augie

Would suggest that you do Morocco justice and spend the 10 days seeing this wonderful land. You will not be disappointed. Moroccans are great people - felt safe all the time I was there.

Cheers

Moto Morocco will take your bikes down for you. This would give you the time you suggest without the long road runs with pillions?

Back
Top Bottom