Morocco for a mini LWD.

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to join up with Tim Cullis in October to travel Morocco for the second time in 12 months. What a fantastic country. IMHO it offers enough drama and adventure with reasonable levels of comfort available for weary old bones like mine.

I took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander, crossed Spain and took the boat from Tarifa to Tanger. I met up with Tim in Tanger and I was then lucky enough to benifit fom Tim's knowledge and passion for Morocco: Tim's visited the country nearly 30 times now.

There are so many great threads available here for anyone wanting information to plan a trip. The info. Tim and Fanum provide in the sticky is enough to plan a trip

Pics 1-3: Middle Atlas south of Azrou
Pics 4-5: Cirque de Jaffar between Midelt and Imilchil

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 736
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 731
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 730
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 728
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 736
Pics 6-9: Cirque de Jaffar
Pic 10: between Midelt and Imilchil

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 696
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 711
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 718
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 707
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 704
Pics 11-13: between Midelt and Imilchil
Pic 14: between Agoudal and Msemrir
Pic 15: Cascades Tissint

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 700
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 705
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 696
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 700
and a final couple of pics. :)

Couple of bits of info for anyone contemplating their first foray ino Morocco: the Sahara isn't the be all and end all of m/c adventure, The volcanic regions around Arzou were some of the finest roads I have had the pleasure to ride.
Morocco is great for the people and scenary but take care, it's easy to get heat exaustion (I did first time round and it's not funny). Drive carefully through the villages and towns, there are a lot of excitable kids and livestock on the roads.

All in all, Morocco is easily do-able by anyone whose ventured into Europe but if you can travel with someone who knows their way around (I was lucky enough to travel on the maiden 'MotoMorocco' tour and with Tim this time) grab the opportunity with both hands :thumb2

'course the best bit about going away is getting home as my last pic shows.

Pic 16: between Ouarzazate and Tazenakht
Pics 17-18: Ait Benhaddou

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 693
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 688
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 686
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 688
So what was the verdict on the two bikes - overall, which one coped the best? Dakar or GS

So what was the verdict on the two bikes - overall, which one coped the best? Dakar or GS

They both coped superbly really. I took the 650 Dakar because it was less of a handful offroad, but not by a huge amount IMHO. The 1200 is a lot better and more comfortable on the tarmac. Doing some off road training is probably more important than which GS I Guess.

There was no great advantage having the GSA rather than a standard 1200GS, and weight is always the enemy.

We came to a gully on the piste from Midelt to Imilchil (the last pic on post 2) where the slope down was 45 degrees and the slope up was 45 degrees. As you can see from the pic below it was quite deep and the cumulative effect of the two slopes would have been like hitting a brick wall. I felt the GSA wouldn't manage it (without a degree of momentum that I wasn't prepared to give it!), whereas the Dakar with bigger front wheel, conventional suspension and 60 kilos less weight possible would have been OK.

So we back-tracked 100m and rode down through the stream again. We must have crossed that stream 60 times, as well as riding down it for considerable periods.

Attachments

• IMG_0759e.jpg
    IMG_0759e.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 675
Fantastic!..great pics and write up.. Thanks for sharing them :thumb2

Fantastico!..great pictures and write up.. :clap:clap:clap:clap

Great Post

You just got me even more hooked on trying to set up a trip. would be really interested if you have any route information. The pics are great just the type of ride im looking to do

I've edited Andy's posts to describe where the photos were taken. Most of the pistes in Morocco are now on the Marokko Topo GPS map (see knowledebase).

The route from Midelt to Imilchil is 32 miles of red (sometimes technical) piste followed by a rough road and tarmac section of 27 miles, then another 33 miles of red piste. There were four auberges along the route.

I've edited Andy's posts to describe where the photos were taken. Most of the pistes in Morocco are now on the Marokko Topo GPS map (see knowledebase).

The route from Midelt to Imilchil is 32 miles of red (sometimes technical) piste followed by a rough road and tarmac section of 27 miles, then another 33 miles of red piste. There were four auberges along the route.

Thank's Tim :thumb2 When I started this thread I thought I would keep the words to a minimum and let the pics tell the story. But, thinking about it, that doesn't help anyone wanting to plan for Morocco.
IMHO so many people don't realise that only 2 days away from Blighty lies fantastic people/culture and magnificent scenary which is the equal (again IMHO) of almost anywhere in the world: hence the thread title 'Mini LWD'

Some of this looks so good I'm editing my route to encompass them. Thanks!!!

Strange now looking at this thread and recognising where the pictures were taken! I've some identical photos to these. Wish I'd some pictures of me tackling the water crossings - they'd be entertaining!

Back
Top Bottom