Where can I go?

Temple

Hi all.

I've only had my 1200GS 4 weeks. Just ridden from London back to Edinburgh. Want to take it on some gentle off road. Any suggestions for rides around Edinburgh or Fife? I'm very confident Mountain Biker (ex-national team) but dont know where I'm allowed to go, if that makes sense? Where is legal, sort of thing?

thanks in advance!

Try to find your nearest green lane group, or get an OS map and look around. NO bridleways, NO footpaths. Just make sure this time of year you have off road tyres on, and not dual purpose ones, and take it easy if you have cast wheels as they are not up to getting a battering

hello and welcome...Forrys your man for knowing the odd track or two....

dead easy... only broken bones and bikes on his runs:augie:D

You're best looking about on some of the threads to see what you like the look of.... and ask Forry or Timolgra an Timpo for advice of where to go.

JKN - Ive moved your thread to a more relevant section - you may get more response here :thumb2

Dahoum

There's not alot thats legal in the Borders /Edinburgh area I've attached a garmin file with 2 routes which to the best of my knowledge are legal.
I'm going to join the Northeast TRF soon so hope fully I'll be able to find some more legal trails soon.:thumb2

Attachments

• Legal tracks.gdb
    5.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi all.

I've only had my 1200GS 4 weeks. Just ridden from London back to Edinburgh. Want to take it on some gentle off road. Any suggestions for rides around Edinburgh or Fife? I'm very confident Mountain Biker (ex-national team) but dont know where I'm allowed to go, if that makes sense? Where is legal, sort of thing?

thanks in advance!

Thats a shame, would like to see ye on youtube doing the Fort William down hill course on the GS:D

hahahaha...
the course at fort william is awesome, but i think i'll stick to my mountain bike on that one! feel more confident on the mountain bike when its that steep and rocky!
i have actually recently moved to london, is there more opertunities to ride off road in that area? out of london obviously, hyde park might not count! or be legal

There is an unsurfaced road through Pitmedden forest in north Fife. It goes from just north west of Auchtermuchty (there is a small yellow road which goes for a couple of miles to a dead end) to the back road to Abernethy. Nowt fancy just a forest track with potholes - it is possible to get 'lost' however and end up going for miles on forest tracks before you find your way back to the road again :augie

Not sure which ones Forry is refering to as my version of mapsource won't open the file but I've been told by several people that the track from Long yester (just south of gifford in East lothian) to Carfraemill is fine - its also an unsurfaced road - at both ends there is an old 'unsuitable for motors sign'. I've met several folk on trail bikes on this track who reckon they have never had any grief over it.

Other than that naff all although I reckon there are a lot more unsurfaced public roads out there but trying to prove it is nigh on impossible.

I too am considering joining the NE England TRF plus I keep hassling Forestry Commission to start providing a trail bike equivalent of the 7 stanes mountainbike routes....

Back
Top Bottom