GPS Query

alexw

Hi Guys,

I have a streetpilot III Deluxe and I would like to change it as it is getting old and I cannot really get to grips with it. I have tried to upload up to date software but as soon as I switch it on it comes up with the old software and prompting me to upgrade. I guess I must be technophobic as I have tried this a few times with instructions but to no avail. So I thought I would change the thing. I have heard that some phones now come with built in GPS? does anybody here rate or used any of these? Alternatively it would be a Zumo 550.

Cheers,

Alex ..the Technophobe

Get the Zumo, otherwise within 6 months you will have a GPS-phone and a Zumo.

If your budget won't stretch to a Zumo - there's a fella on this site selling a "new" 2610 with all the accessories for £160 + postage. (replacement unit from Garmin 3 months ago if I remember correctly)

Al

And if you do buy a Zumo (wise move) buy it after the new mapping has come out, due, I suspect in the new year, but keep dropping in here to find out when its happened.

And if you do buy a Zumo (wise move) buy it after the new mapping has come out, due, I suspect in the new year, but keep dropping in here to find out when its happened.

Apparently the new mapping is available now with new units, just not as an upgrade until the new year. Someone from another site I frequent purchased a Zumo at the NEC and it came with City Nav 2008 (apparently it's called that rather than v10). Obviously best to make sure with the vendor as there will still be plenty of stock on the shelves out there with v9 and with, alledgedly, no free upgrade that'll leave you out of pocket.

Someone from another site I frequent purchased a Zumo at the NEC and it came with City Nav 2008 (apparently it's called that rather than v10). Obviously best to make sure with the vendor as there will still be plenty of stock on the shelves out there with v9 and with, alledgedly, no free upgrade that'll leave you out of pocket.

I'm not positive but I think City Nav 2008 is just v9 re-named. I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can find out :thumb2

I'm not positive but I think City Nav 2008 is just v9 re-named. I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can find out :thumb2

Blimey, that's a bit of a swizz :( After all v9 is now considered not current by Garmin and, if what you say is true, they're having the cheek to call it 'City Nav. 2008' :nenau

Sounds like something Microsoft would do.

<edit>Have just done a quick search and can see mention of 2008 being available in June this year (2007) so you're probably correct</edit>

Thanks guys for the info much appreciated. Is the 2610 a good unit also, if I was to compare the 2 eg zumo & 2610 what would comeout tops or is that a stupid question?

if I was to compare the 2 eg zumo & 2610 what would comeout tops or is that a stupid question?

2610 good unit, now obsolete ie it's superceeded

Zumo newer unit, from what I've read seems more bike orientated than the others.

A lot depends on the £ or $ that you want / can pay.

2610 is a couple of generations behind the Zumo; Slower processor, no pseudo 3D display, no internal battery for off bike use (useful), no proximity alerts (speed camera alerts), no full post code search, less sensitive GPS receiver, no MP3, no Bluetooth. And the list goes on...

Having said that the 2610 is a very capable GPS and will get you there just as effectively as a Zumo (full postcode search outstanding), route planning in Mapsource is the same. The Zumo is a little less configurable although its major earlier shortcomings were addressed in a firmware update. If you don't really need the bells and whistles of the Zumo then for the money a 2610 is a sound buy.

Hi Guys,

I have heard that some phones now come with built in GPS? does anybody here rate or used any of these?

I've got a HP iPAQ which has built in GPS running TomTom and a garmin 2610. Whilst the iPAQ can get you to a destination its can't compare to a decent purpose designed Garmin - in london particulary it get confused as to which road your on etc. No PC planning either.

I'd say a 2610 or Quest offer great value second hand - just mkae sure you get the unlock codes/certificate, so you know its not pinched

I've got a HP iPAQ which has built in GPS running TomTom

I also have an Ipaq (and a Rider I, Rider II and Garmin 2720.

The Ipaq is very slow at getting a fix and poor at keeping it but a £5.00 external antenna (from eBay) transforms it into a useable system. It still suffers from Tomtom software though and I much prefer my Garmin 2720 which has been used all round Europe.

No experience of Zumo but Garmin software is better and for tour planning Tomtom has nothing to match Mapsource.

is the garmin 2720 a motorcycle gps or do you have to buy extra brackets etc to go with it?

The 2720 is a good motorcycle GPS. It's predecessor, the 2610 was the base for BMWs Nav II and it's successor, the 2820 is the BMW Nav III.

Although it does not come as standard with motorcycle bracket a complete kit of bike mount and cable for power and headet is only about £30. You would then need a RAM mount or similar to fix the Garmin bracket to the bike.

It does come as standard with a "beanbag" car mount which you can just throw on the car dashboard and a very small and discreet car mount that can be fixed to the dash with the supplied self adhesive pad (permanent and "temporary" pads supplied). So for the small extra cost of a bike mount you get a GPS system that can easily be used in any vehicle.

The 2720 and 2820 are damed good bits of kit and I think can be found at reasonable discount prices these days. It was listed at £900 when I got mine but found it at £599.

Back
Top Bottom