sargent seats

dik

Reaction score
greetings from sunny notts

paging tim ?

i met one of you guys at the bmf this year, i think it was tim ?
he had just bought a sargent seat, and i bought his old komfi ? seat.
well the komfi ? seat does not seem to suit my ass, so that will be up for sale when i get a replacement.
but the reason for this post is to see if there is any feed back on the sargent seat ?
so....
is it tim ?
how are you getting on with the new seat ?
anyone else got a sargent seat ?

all the best
have fun
rich
notts

Sargent seat

Hi dik
Yes it was Tim - I saw him last night at Sarrat with the Sargent saddle in situ. Certainly looked the biz and felt comfortable when I tried it out.

Dik:
Tim didn't get round to telling us how much the Sargent seat cost. My guess is not cheap! Check out my thread in this section, "Corbin-style seats". I'm very happy with my Melvyn Hunter custom special and at £135 to £195 depending on spec. you won't get a better deal.
In what way doesn't the comfy seat suit your arse? Tell me your problems and I'll tell you mine! My new seat is 100% improvement.
Simon

Tim said the saddles came in at around £500 - Visit www.calamander.co.uk who are the distributors in the UK for exact pricing. There is another address at www.sargentcycle.co.uk but there is nothing to see.

I have a beautiful saddle from www.billmayersaddles.com and the price will work out about the same, so check out the thread I posted a while back on this: http://www.gsclubuk.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1109&highlight=Bill+mayer+saddles

The Sargent saddle isn't as firm as the BillMayer so this wont suit taller/heavier riders, but it is well made and comes with carbon fibre pans included in the price.

Made with leather and fully customisable by Rocky Mayer this is a better saddle but expect to go to some trouble to get hold of it. You will have to send your old saddle to Rocky for him to strip and rebuild, or alternatively buy a secondhand pair as I did from www.siebenrock.com Spare saddles: £95 Custom saddle inc postage etc : c.£400 But it's worth the trouble.

Piles? . . . pish posh tosh. A few weeks ago I had an anal fissure (a tear in the anal sphincter for those not in the know) which got badly infected and resulted in an abscess on my rectum the size of an egg (regular large brown farmhouse, not ostrich or dinosaur). Four courses of high powered anti-biotics have finally shifted it but let me tell you, piles just don't compare.
Sorry to air my medical complaints. And yes, Melvyn Hunter's seat is a remedy for the worst ailments, although it can't help GS'ers being hit up the rear on the M25!

Listen Rich . . . If you ever have what I had, you'll know what that sheep felt like that you rammed up the butt (no puns intended). And I refuse to disclose how my sphincter got ripped in the first place, but let me assure you the cause was wholly within the bounds of decency, if a little implausible.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

greetings from sunny notts

me thinks there is some over sharing of information here !

no piles or ,lets not go there, at this end.

4 years ago the standard seat was comfortable for me, but over time it must of gone soft 'cos now i feel like i'm sitting on the base.
i have looked at most options and the one that appealed most to me was the sargent.
i was just about to make the purchase (direct from USA, cheaper than the uk importers) when redundancy hit.
a week later i 'bumped' into tim ? at the bmf with his new sargent saddle.
he very kindly let me sit on it and i know its no real indication of high mileage comfort but it felt good. well we got talking and i had a look at his old komfi ? seat, a much more realistic price, and worth a go for me, so i bought it off him there and then.
unfortunately having put a few miles on it it just does not suit me.
it is basically comfortable, but it has a bit of a raised section at the rear, i think for back support. but my twice injured back doesnt agree with it, plus it limits how much you can slide for and aft which i tend to do a lot.
i think it is a very good seat but simply doesnt fit me.

what i think i want is

wider at rear....more support around the buttocks

no hump at rear....so i can move around & for my back

dished, not .....whatever the opposite of dished is

slightly lower wouldnt hurt

firmer foam.....so my bones dont hit the base

i'm not sure about gel
anyone with long term experience of gel inserts ?

and the pillion seat reshaped so she stops sliding into me

the sargent just appears to fit that description, plus it has had some good feedback on the adv rider site.

any other suggestions i might have missed ?

all the best
have fun
rich
notts

Quote:
=============================================
"Im not sure about gel. Anyone with long term experience of gel inserts ?"
=============================================
Rich,

The Sanguine would usually have replied in this vain, but I'll beat him to it just this once. There are several well known models, and a girl at work in fact....who could probably answer your question better than I!

Regs,

Richard

I had a good look at Tim's sargeant seat at our meeting in Sarrat. His pillion pad is raised at the front in an even more pronounced way than the original seat. The rider's seat is also slightly "dished".
I too suffer from back problems (no more mention of my temporary anal afflictions), three different ones in fact both spinal and muscular. I found the original seat excruciating after an hour or two. I really don't think you can know what's best without a seriously long test ride. Even then some saddles take a few rides to get used to.
I've got no reason whatsoever to plug Melvyn Hunter's seats (I'm sure you've looked at my thread) because his skills are not unique and I'm sure there are many others around offering the same service. I don't get commission.
I went out yesterday for the day with a pillion and covered 250 miles . . . no arse ache or back ache (for two of my three problems) and my pillion was very comfortable and didn't slide into me. I didn't even realise she was still there and kept having to grope her knee to make sure she hadn't fallen off (she's my girlfriend's 13-yr-old daughter so no funny comments richwi).
Melvyn can raise or lower both seats. I've got mine raised so that it's level with the back and I can move backwards partly on to the rear seat.
I'm not a fan of gel pads. I rode/ride push-bikes and have covered 10s of thousands of miles and I still swear by my good old Brooks leather saddles. Gel pads slowly conform to your shape but don't support where they are supposed to and give completely where their supposed to. I've never found a gel pushbike saddle that I could happily use for a thousand mile ride. Melvyn uses a gel mesh/web that looks like a slimy/rubbery very thick string vest. It gives good cushioning and is not as hard as gel pads. I prefer it.
If you can get to Sarrat on the 29th or Brackens on the 30th I'd be happy for you to fit my saddle to your bike and for you to go off for a ride.
It's your preference and choice, but it sounds like you need a solution and you've already spent money on a solution that didn't work. Don't want you to make a very expensive decision and still be no better off.
Simon E.

I bought one of those strap-on gel pads from MPS thinking it might help. Put it on to ride up to Hawes. Took it off just after Sheffield. Bloody hard and uncomfortable.

Steve.

I've just had my seat 'converted' by Melvin Hunter, with a 'Gelastic' pad insert, initial feelings over short rides seem favourable, off to North Yorks. in the morning, I'll let you know how it fairs on a long run....

Must say I think it looks the biz... the workmanship is very good.

Attachments

• iran trip001.jpg
    iran trip001.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 394
Nice bloke, nice saddle . . . looks good Sleepy!
Melvyn builds his seat up with layers of foam of different densities so you can specify firm/soft. He places the gel mesh under a top layer of foam. IT makes the safer much more comfortable from the word go.
As Steve Currell rightly says, gel pads (not the mesh Melvyn uses) are too hard. Some saddle finishers simply slip a gel pad under a new cover - that is not the solution.
If you compare Sleepy's new seat to mine (on the other thread) you'll see that they are quite different. Melvyn can give you whatever height, shape, trim, and finish you want.
By the way . . . my saddle is now much wider and the entirety of my bum (not a vast expanse you understand) fits onto the saddle. A huge improvement.
Simon E.

Back
Top Bottom