Rider II - Touch-screen problem?

muppix

Reaction score
Morning All!

Got my TTR2 two days ago after finding an Amazon voucher I hadn't used and noting that that they do same day delivery. Fitment to the electrical system was a no-brainer, just wired it in parallel with the front accessory socket.

I'm still after a better way of mounting it though; being a bit of a perfectionist I can't stand anything that looks like it was cludged together as an afterthought, which is the impression I get when I see a lot of handlebar mounted GPS systems. *

Anyway, I used the included RAM mount to fix the Rider just above the speedo and to the left of the tacho until I can think of something better. Will post pictures once it stops raining...

Back to the title of the thread; I took her for a short spin this morning to get some breakfast, and upon stopping at the greasy spoon thought it best to remove said unit to prevent temptation. Upon refitting it half an hour later it's totally unuseable, acting as if an invisible finger were pressing the screen continuously in the same place! I don't get it, I kept it in the little neoprene case in the top-box, nobody's touched it while I was filling my face, and it's been in active use a whole 36 hours.

Suitable unimpressed I stomped off home with a view to introducing Mr. Paperclip to Mr R. Button, with the problem manifesting itself all the way there. Once on the kitchen table however it suddenly and miraculously stopped being epileptic and started behaving itself. I pressed the reset button anyway for good measure, but my confidence has been shaken somewhat.

This is my third TomTom; I've got an ickle one in the Mini and the software on my PDA, all of which have worked perfectly, which is largely why I went for the Rider. (not to mention the fact that the only other viable alternative is Garmin, whom I can't stand)

It's all behaving itself now, but I wonder if anybody else has seen these symptoms?

Mup.

* He says, trying not to think of the Garmin GPS3 that was held onto the brake fluid reservoir of his old Bandit using epoxy resin and half a hinge from a shed door.

I'm afraid your report has increased my prejudice against TomTom. My Garmin unit went ape straight after I got and made me very scared - the replacement has been fine.
Now that they have sorted out their telephone response time, I have no complaints with Garmin - quite the contrary.
Good luck with your TT.

My TomTom Rider 2 went a bit weird in the first 2 days I had it. Decided not start etc even with a reset. Tried it a few times and it worked again.... Since then I have done a few thousand miles and its been superb.

The Rider 2 is a vast improvement over my original version 1. :thumb2

My TomTom Rider 2 went a bit weird in the first 2 days I had it. Decided not start etc even with a reset. Tried it a few times and it worked again.... Since then I have done a few thousand miles and its been superb.

The Rider 2 is a vast improvement over my original version 1. :thumb2
Same as that. It's a much better unit for my purposes than that poxy Zumo 550 that I had previously.

Well, it's knackered. Just when I thought we were going to get along fine, the TomTom Rider II has developed a symptom whereby the screen has lost calibration, so that when you try to type using the on-screen keyboard you end up hitting a random key adjacent to the one you were trying to press.

On starting the returns procedure with Amazon I was impressed to find how easy it is - you can print out an RMA label direct from your website, stick it on the box, and choose a day for DHL to come and pick up the shipment from the address of your choice, all on Amazon's tab!

My esteem faded considerably when I received an automated email from DHL stating that the partnership with Amazon was no longer in effect ... WTF couldn't Amazon update their RMA process not to use DHL? Never mind. At least they've sent out another TTR2 even though mine's not been returned yet, which at least saves me removing the RAM mount, wiring, and Scala headset as I'll simply be able to switch the unit over.

Watch this space ...

Mup.

Contact TomTom directly and they will look after you providing you have the retailer purchase details.

Try a software update. My rider did what you describe in Austria. It was obsessed with travelling home every time I did something.

Its just a software bug and can be fixed easily with a software update.

If no update is available move all the files not in a folder onto your PC temporarily, and they do the update and it will refresh the software. If all is sucessful you can delete the temporary files you have copied.

Rider 2 is an amazing peice of kit considering the hammer mine has already recieved. Around 7,500 miles and counting with no major issues, although a few user ones. :augie

Replacement Arrived

Got me replacement TTR2 today, so I'm just going to swap the unit over and send the rest of the gubbins back to Amazon untouched.

The new one seems to be OK (ie the screen is calibrated and it picks up a signal) but I won't have a chance to try it until after the weekend.

Kudos to Amazon for sending out a replacement so quickly, even if they do lose some points for using a pick-up courier that refuses to acknowledge the partnership. I just hope they get the returned unit OK and don't bill me for it ...

Mup.

Well, it's knackered. Just when I thought we were going to get along fine, the TomTom Rider II has developed a symptom whereby the screen has lost calibration, so that when you try to type using the on-screen keyboard you end up hitting a random key adjacent to the one you were trying to press.

On starting the returns procedure with Amazon I was impressed to find how easy it is - you can print out an RMA label direct from your website, stick it on the box, and choose a day for DHL to come and pick up the shipment from the address of your choice, all on Amazon's tab!

My esteem faded considerably when I received an automated email from DHL stating that the partnership with Amazon was no longer in effect ... WTF couldn't Amazon update their RMA process not to use DHL? Never mind. At least they've sent out another TTR2 even though mine's not been returned yet, which at least saves me removing the RAM mount, wiring, and Scala headset as I'll simply be able to switch the unit over.

Watch this space ...

Mup.

I had the problem temporarily with my TT1, turned out it was water getting in somehow. I dried it out and it now works fine.

Got me replacement TTR2 today, so I'm just going to swap the unit over and send the rest of the gubbins back to Amazon untouched.

The new one seems to be OK (ie the screen is calibrated and it picks up a signal) but I won't have a chance to try it until after the weekend.

Kudos to Amazon for sending out a replacement so quickly, even if they do lose some points for using a pick-up courier that refuses to acknowledge the partnership. I just hope they get the returned unit OK and don't bill me for it ...

Mup.

I would send them your old headset and keep the new one. That way you get a newer battery! :D

Back
Top Bottom