Communications...

santrix

Reaction score
Cant find anything in the knwledge base for this.... Mobile phone coverage? Is there any?

Anyone hired a sat phone (mortgage inducing)? is it needed?

tah in advance...

Cant find anything in the knwledge base for this.... Mobile phone coverage? Is there any?

Anyone hired a sat phone (mortgage inducing)? is it needed?

tah in advance...
We bought Moroccan SIM cards out there, no bother with coverage in most places. :nenau

No need for special arrangements provided you have international roaming from your provider. Near universal coverage -had both a Virgin mobile phone and a Vodaphone phone ion my recent trip to Morocco (one was my private mobile and one was my company mobile) and could makle calls from all parts of Morocco (Ait Benhaddou, Merzouga, Marrakech, Tafraoute, Tangiers and all parts in between). Other guys had phones by other providers (Orange, O2) which worked equally as well.

Cheers

+1

They have gone for near universal mobile coverage rather than land lines.
Vodaphone worked everywhere - and I mean everywhere!
Absolutely no need for satelite phone, I had coverage in the most barren & remote spots.

Simon

added to the knowledgebase...

Mobile phone coverage
Morocco has jumped a technology generation and the market penetration of mobile phones is something like eight times than of landlines. This market penetration could only be achieved by the phone companies installing cellphone masts along all the normal traffic routes, whether tarmac or piste. Consequently you can be in really remote areas which in the UK would be signal-less and get all the bars on your phone. Make sure you have roaming enabled on your UK phone before leaving.

But to make the best of the Moroccan coverage, take a spare mobile with you to Morocco and buy a local SIM card (~£2). If the mobile isn't unlocked there will be someone who will do that for you. Now top the card up and use it to keep in touch with your fellow travellers, make hotel bookings ahead, and so forth.

NOTE.......

To use a local sim card, you will have to have had your phone unlocked.

I took my old Sony Ericcson K750i along on the last trip, and I know it IS unlocked (as I've used Orange PAYG in it in the UK and it was a Vodafone contract phone) however when we put the Maroc Telecom PAYG sim in it, it wouldn't work ...the guy in the shop said that it had to be unlocked for Morocco (seems odd to me but I'm no expert....all I know is it didn't work)

Instead, we got some cheap Moroccan PAYG phones...... 299MAD (£18.70) and some credits.......it meant that we had our own UK numbers and phone in use for calls from people who wouldn't have known the new sim card number (but who could then be told to call back on it) and we had a second phone for cheap calls with a Moroccan phone number :)

For under £20, it's the way to go :thumb2

NOTE.......

To use a local sim card, you will have to have had your phone unlocked.

I took my old Sony Ericcson K750i along on the last trip, and I know it IS unlocked (as I've used Orange PAYG in it in the UK and it was a Vodafone contract phone) however when we put the Maroc Telecom PAYG sim in it, it wouldn't work ...the guy in the shop said that it had to be unlocked for Morocco (seems odd to me but I'm no expert....all I know is it didn't work)

Instead, we got some cheap Moroccan PAYG phones...... 299MAD (£18.70) and some credits.......it meant that we had our own UK numbers and phone in use for calls from people who wouldn't have known the new sim card number (but who could then be told to call back on it) and we had a second phone for cheap calls with a Moroccan phone number :)

For under £20, it's the way to go :thumb2

I did exactly the same thing last year, took an old 'unlocked' 750i and bought a local SIM card which didn't work:mad:. In future, I agree just buy a cheap local PAYG phone.

Back
Top Bottom