Garmin 2610

Ill Phil

Hi,
This is my first post, so please excuse me if it's a repeat. I am looking at one of these on E-Bay -finishes pretty soon, so a swift response would be most appreciated.
Does this model have basic world mapping loaded, i.e. can I use it in Morocco by using waypoint navigation only?
Regards,
PK

Yes, basic map with a few main roads but it won't auto route on them. You can use it like a rolling map though.

You can get free detailed mapping for Morocco that can be loaded on it as well. Theres a link in the mapping section of the GPS forum.

2610 or Quest

Thanks for that quick reply.
There's also a Quest going. Which do you think is the better bet?
Regards,
PK

Regards,
PK

Both are equally good but for different reasons. You need to have a read through some of the old posts in here as they've been discussed at length.

I have a Quest1 but will be getting a Garmin Zumo next year when come down to a price more in my budget :thumb2

Regards,
PK

Quest for me for sure....it's pocket sized so no security issues when off the bike and it has its own battery for taking into the pub/hotel room/tent to work on routes etc.

2610's are too big IMO.

Regards,
PK

If you're planning on using Moroccan topographic go for the 2610.
I used a Quest last year in Morocco and found it difficult to distinguish between contours and minor routes unless zoomed right in, then it takes an age to load as you scroll across to check where the route goes to.

For those reasons I bought a 2650 which is very similar. BUT the Quest is very good can easily slipped into your pocket and be used off the bike.

If you're planning on using Moroccan topographic go for the 2610.
I used a Quest last year in Morocco and found it difficult to distinguish between contours and minor routes unless zoomed right in, then it takes an age to load as you scroll across to check where the route goes to.

For those reasons I bought a 2650 which is very similar. BUT the Quest is very good can easily slipped into your pocket and be used off the bike.

AHEM
:augie

More for the fire!

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Now I've got something else to consider -a mate has offered to lend me his Garmin 2620 for my trip to Morocco. I have asked him to check whether it comes as standard with basic world mapping, so I can use it in W. Sahara using waypoints only, but he's a technophobe and can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me the answer to that one.

Thanks,
PK :nenau

a mate has offered to lend me his Garmin 2620 for my trip to Morocco.

The 2620 has a hard drive and will be destroyed in pretty sort order by bike vibes and road shocks especially, I would imagine, in Morocco. ISTR that the later units enabled the exchange of the mini hard drive for a Compact Flash card, if this is the case with this unit then it will effectively be the same as a 2610.

Garmin knowledge

Thanks again for the info. I will check which one it is.
Regards,
PK:clap

Back
Top Bottom