Morocco Veterans feedback on route appreciated..

I can't open the file.

But do you really appreciate just how hot it's going to be. Don't compare with a costa del sol hot, or a european hot.

I've just installed Google Earth but still can't see the file. There's clearly more to this than meets the eye:rob

I am particularly interested as I also intend to ride to Morocco next year, probably in September, but only on tarmac roads. My wife and a friend plan to fly out to meet me in Marrakesh.

You haven't said what you are looking for, though I see the route is a mix of tarmac and piste. It's your first visit and everyone tends to be too ambitious. You need to rethink some aspects.

The route you have chosen south from Nador looks like it running along the edge of the Rekkam Plateau which is a pretty desolate area. At that time of year I would suggest you keep further west in the Middle Atlas area south of Taza. It will be cooler and there's some nice roads and pistes in that area, check Michelin 742.

The area around Merzouga closes down in mid summer as it's too hot for the locals and nobody in their right mind visits at that time of year.

The classic piste from Merzouga area west to the Zagora area is difficult (I've only done part of it myself). You would need to be carrying 20 litres of water at that time of year. Not recommended.

In midsummer I would suggest you plan on staying mainly in the coastal and/or mountainous areas.

Tim

Tim, thanks for your comments, yes it is our first trip and we did want to do plenty of piste work and a degree of off road.... Didnt realise that about Merzouga at that time of year closing down and your feedback just confirmed our own suspicions....

Unfortunately I at least am tied to this time of year because of teaching commitments.. unfortunate, but that's life..

Merzouga to Zagora piste.... 20 litres of water.... def worth reconsidering/shelving for another time.

It's a 29 day trip with a few days stopover in southern spain on the way there and back.

Many thanks Tim. As you may recall it was your very interesting talk on Morocco at this year's HU Meeting that aroused my interest in that country. I'm sure there'll be more questions nearer the time.

I'm doing the Merzouga area to the Zagora area in April and from what I can see it's now got a gravel road? Not sure if I should be relieved or dissappointed. :D

I'm doing the Merzouga area to the Zagora area in April and from what I can see it's now got a gravel road? Not sure if I should be relieved or dissappointed. :D

But then again, the 'road' from Foum Zguid to Zagora has been tamacced for three years, according to the maps and guide books :augie

This is the start of the Tarmac road from Foum Zguid to Zagora.

Picture2727.jpg

And here you can see the good flat Tarmac section showen on the Map :augie

Picture2719.jpg

Don't worry the Road soon get's wider and the tarmac is still good quility ...

Picture2731.jpg

I have ridden from Merzouga to the Zagora in April and In places it was very hard going on the XR400, and in the high 30s and it seemed like no cool air to breath when you were pulling the bike out of the sand :blast
I would not even think of doing it on a heavy bike in the Summer,unless your a off road God and you can ride the 239kl in the day.

If you have to go to Marocco in the summer I would look at planning a route down the coast,at least here you have a chance of being a bit cooler.

Good luck and have a great time.

Dazzer

Thanks Dazzer I can't wait. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Hi Snoopy .
Don't worry they have put a service station in now at about the half way point...so at least you can get a cool drink....

Picture2735.jpg

I will be down there at the same time as you.Keep a look out for my Bike.I may be stuck in the Sand :augie

Re-planning route lol... Thanks for all your input folks, and if you celbrate it, merry christmas, if not, happy holidays etc etc...:Motomartin

Back
Top Bottom