Piste Advice Please

Pacific

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Morocco in April/May 08, in a party of three on two 1150's and one 1200GS. We will be on Tourances and most of the route will road-based but I'd like to include a couple of pistes and would appreciate some advice on suitability....

1. The piste directly north from Alnif - I've read that this is now graded so should be easy right????

2. The loop from Todra to Agoudal and back via the Dades - it this do able on Tourances and how long should we allow for it?

Any information on the above would be much appreciated.

Mark.

PS, I have to say that the Morocco Knowledgebase is a great resource!

You should have no problem on either of those pistes with Tourances......................unless it rains.

The one from Alnif is now almost a road:(

Allow a full day to do the loop up the Todra and down the Dades, best with an early start.

Going north up the Todra it's tarmac to Ait Hani, then piste to Agoudal. Coming south from Agoudal it's piste until just past Msemrir, then tarmac along the Dades. The piste south from Agoudal is technical in places, so offroad experience is needed.

Another option is to go north up the Todra to Tamtattouchte, then take the gorge link piste west to Msemrir. Again it's technical in places with some steps, but IMO it's a better experience than the Agoudal to Msemrir piste.

If you do decide to go all the way to Agoudal, you might as well go a bit further and visit Imilchil and Lac Tislit which is a few miles beyond. The photo shows Hotel Tislit Bride on Lac Tislit.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2955e.jpg
    IMG_2955e.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 512
2. The loop from Todra to Agoudal and back via the Dades - it this do able on Tourances and how long should we allow for it?

On tourances??
:eek::eek:

If it's bone dry it'll be tough going on them.....if it's even slightly wet, you'll have a nightmare.

Stick TKC's on and you'll have fun- and they're still better than most people are on the road :)

This was at one of the easier stages on the piste from Agoudal to Msemrir.

I was feeling slightly lightheaded that day so I didn't appreciate the drop offs.

Attachments

• DSCF0610e750.jpg
    DSCF0610e750.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 487

I couple of riders riders staying at the Bikers Home at the same time as me last April attempted this piste and had to turn back. The track had been completely washed out at the Dades end due to heavy rain over the winter. My riding partner also tried it on his own and couldn't locate the piste even with the aid of the GPS maps.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think we will wait and see what the conditions are like when we get there, although I'm now cautious about trying this route on Tourances.:rob

Another option is to go north up the Todra to Tamtattouchte, then take the gorge link piste west to Msemrir. Again it's technical in places with some steps, but IMO it's a better experience than the Agoudal to Msemrir piste.
Tim

Tim, your alternative route sounds like a more sensible option with less distance to cover and therefore less backtracking if we need to bail out. Again subject to conditions.

Do you have any more details on this piste and specifically the 'steps'?

Thanks again.

Mark

!

I couple of riders riders staying at the Bikers Home at the same time as me last April attempted this piste and had to turn back. The track had been completely washed out at the Dades end due to heavy rain over the winter. My riding partner also tried it on his own and couldn't locate the piste even with the aid of the GPS maps.

Bill ( fanum) and I got across to Agoudal 17 days after the storms last november, at night, 40Kms in six and a half hours :eek:.
We were the first vehicle to make it through since the storms hit :cool: One of thee epic journeys i've done

But it was in a land rover :D

Do you have any more details on this piste and specifically the 'steps'?
Whatever you do, don't take any advice from kids in Tamtatouchte as they are renowned for misleading travellers, blocking roads with rocks, stealing bike keys, throwing stones and generally misbehaving.

The piste is clearly shown on the Morocco Topo garmin map.

Coming from the Todra side, there are clear arrows and signs to the start of the piste which is near the Bellview auberge in Tamtatouchte (6730' asl). If I remember correctly the piste rises slowly before the auberge shown at 7010' and I think the steps are between there and the high point at 8700'. I was riding solo in the other direction so didn't take too much notice of the steps but with several of you together you should be OK in dry weather. :rob

Attachments

• gorgelink.gif
    gorgelink.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 499
Folks, this thread is quite old, anyone know if it's changed much lately? Planning on doing either the cut through
from Tamtatouchte to Msemrir or the full loop via Agoudal. Will be around the end of September if that make a difference with expected rain fall?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom