Albania - safe / worth going?

Craig David

Hi folks.

I'm planning a trip for May 08.

I was thinking France Netherlands, Germany, train from Germany Dusseldorf to Villach in Austria, then Slovenia, Croatia and Albania.

Has anyone been to Albania? Is it safe? I've heard there's almost no medical care and lots of crime and corruption. Is it worth going there?

What about Bosnia and Serbia and Montenegro?

I could just go as far as Croatia and still see loads...... what do you think?

(ps - done a few trips before - Poland, Romania, Morocco etc so not too green!)

A good friend of mike rode through Albania earlier this year, I'll drop him an email and ask for his thoughts/advice for you.

His trip, 6150 miles in 27 days on an SV1000:
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25688&highlight=albania

Outward trip:
Portsmouth, UK
Bilbao, Spain
Pau, France
St Filieu d'Amont, France (Maz & Nigel's patch)
Aix en Provence, France
Genoa, Italy
Padua, Italy
Trieste, Italy
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Tirana, Albania
Thessaloniki, Greece
Tekirdag, Turkey
Ankara, Turkey

Return trip via:
Istanbul, Turkey
Thessaloniki, Greece
Tirana, Albania
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Split, Croatia
Trieste, Italy
Innsbruck, Austria
Strasbourg, France
Calais, France (Channel Tunnel)

In May I am gouing to Istanbul so Probably I am gouing on the same route.
I have same Friends from Albania and told me that is mor safe over thear then London I personally don't worry Is a smule Country and in 4h you ar out
Maiby we go togheder? if you want. I am multi language speker:thumb

A good friend of mine rode through Albania earlier this year, I'll drop him an email and ask for his thoughts/advice for you.

Here you go...

I went through Albania on my way to and from Turkey earlier this year. I went from Podgorica in Montenegro to Shkodor to Tirana. Overnight stop in Tirana and on into Macedonia via Elbasan and Struga.
I did the reverse coming back. I stayed at the Mondial Hotel going South and the Victoria Hotel coming back. Both were decent and cheap, and kept my bike secure

As I was really only passing through I cannot comment on the crime and medical care aspects. I saw no obvious signs of corruption, although I thought that having to pay €15 for a visa at the border crossings was a bit steep. Everybody I spoke to was friendly and, where possible, helpful.

One unpleasant local custom is to take all the garbage out of the village and throw it in a hedge or ditch. Very smelly!.

Roads varied from reasonable to atrocious.

Croatia and Slovenia are very nice with a wide range of terrain to make for interesting touring. Montenegro is very scenic with some terrific mountain roads but most towns and villages are still a bit primitive.

The security situation in Albania is generally fine, but due to poverty, certain parts of the country require a little extra caution. The northeast of the country, which borders Kosovo, is dangerous due to the presence of landmines and armed gangs. It should only be tackled by travellers with local guides.

And take a look here:
Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Travel Advice

Have you seen this?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112661

If you have any specific questions please ask. I spend a week in Kosovo few days ago on a business trip and it is also OK.

Good report - thank you!

I think there may be too many unsealed roads. I do not have a GS! (I have had a Caponord and V-Strom in the past and considered a GS which is why Im on this forum).

I have a Honda CB1300S, my friends have a 2000 CBR600F and 1999 GSX600F.

There should be no unsealed roads on this route next year. Gravel section on Durmitorsko Sedlo is sealed now, my Slovenian friends were there in October and they confirmed that road is sealed. Near Foca, road reconstruction was in progress, it is probably completely sealed by now.

If you decide to stick to the coast in Montenegro, check Boka Kotorska, especially Kotor.

Here is list of UNESCO World Heritage sites in Croatia: http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/hr

HTH

Only been once for a week doing a humanitarian aid project. Wouldn't take my bicycle there never mind my GS. I'm sure someone'll be along to say how sweet the whole place is though :rolleyes:

I rode over the mountains from Kosovo (Northern crossing) last summer amazing ride probably one of the best roads I have ridden, then down coast road to Tirana. No problems the main road along the coast and out to Macedonia is fine but all the others are not even roads many I was down to 20mph for miles and miles ! People very friendly thousands of petrol stations on the main road. One piece of advice dont ride over any man hole covers ! why the gypsys have stolen them all so there are just big holes !!

as the previous poster said prob best not to take a GS its a bit too ruffty tuffty for them and there is no BMW recovery service !!!!!!

Albania

Albania is not safe, but nor are large areas of London for tourists. I, and friend, drove through in sept'08, we had no real prob, but saw a man mugged in Skroda, were offered an underage girl (his daughter?) and all sorts of stolen goods. Lots of speed traps, no roadsigns, totally corrupt police looking for handouts, bad food (if you can find a restaurant with food), very dangerous driving, and incredibly putrid rubbish heaps outside peoples houses.
Apart from that it was ok,
Peter

I had relatively short trip to Albania in 2007 and the big offraod Albania trip in summer 2008 together with my wife. I newer had any safety problem there. On the other hand it is pure balkan and it is nesesary to respect balkan culture specifics and to be in line to some safety roules, but nothing special.

I do not recomend to go to Kosovo and back to Serbia. It is possible to visit this young state but without crossing Srbia-Kosovo border.

Montenegro is very nice as well :jibber

I can send my GPS traces by email if any interest.

Has anyone been to Albania? Is it safe? I've heard there's almost no medical care and lots of crime and corruption. Is it worth going there?

What about Bosnia and Serbia and Montenegro

I travelled through Bosnia, Serbia, Montengro and Albania in 2007

I am planning a trip again this year and my main destination will be Albania!

I thought the place was very 'interesting' but although a little under-developed there was something about the place. Unfortunately I was running out of time on the trip so had to cut short my time there, and was unable to make it to the southern coastal areas which everyone recommended for its unspoilt beauty.....that is what I'm going back to see this year :thumb2

I did not experience any problems whilst I was there, either with security, obtaining petrol, accomodation. I think so long as you follow the usual rules, and are careful, you will be fine. Albania is activly trying to attract tourists so it is in their interests to make sure you are welcomed.

The roads are obviously not UK standard, but not that bad, rideable anyway, at least the ones I rode where...not sure how I will fair heading further south this year.
If you have been to Romania, (I went in 2006) then I would say they are on a par with them, good in places, bad in others, but keep your wits about you and you'll be ok!

As for Bosnia, Serbia, and Montengro they are fine. Very friendly, and I never felt threatened or intimidated whilst there.

Bosnia is very varied, with Mostar it's highlight, if a little touristy, but well worth going.

Serbia I found was fine on the main roads, but the 'B' roads were nothing but badly kept tracks that ate up your time for little reward, so kept mainly to the 'A' roads.

Montengro was also fine and worth a visit.

I certainly wouldn't not go to any of these countries cos of the fear of crime, safety etc....they hold no fear, only the fear of the unknown...and that is part of their attraction :thumb2

All in all I would recommend all of the Balkan States, and am very much looking forward to my return there this year.

The only place I wasn't taken with was Bulgaria...but I will travel through there again this year to give it another chance.

My advice would be to venture a little further, and you will enjoy it :thumb2

Safe trip.

Steve.

Hi folks.

I'm planning a trip for May 08.

I was thinking France Netherlands, Germany, train from Germany Dusseldorf to Villach in Austria, then Slovenia, Croatia and Albania.

What about Bosnia and Serbia and Montenegro?

I could just go as far as Croatia and still see loads...... what do you think?

(ps - done a few trips before - Poland, Romania, Morocco etc so not too green!)
Hi Craig, I see that you have been to Romania. A few of us are planning a ride there next June July. There will be a minimum of 4 of us but could be as many as 8 or ten. One of the riders , my wife past her test last year and is riding a Sportster Low. She is a little concerned as to riding over there and may opt for the rear of my bike. Can you give me some advice, (or anyone else who has ridden Romania) about this country and what to expect. Would it be fine for an experienced rider ? highlights (places we shouldn't miss ?, places we shoul avoid etc.
Thanks,
Ian

itspilsbury@btinternet.com

A follow up, in detail.

Hello all,

I saw this thread and i could not resist without putting some ifo in here.
Albania, well i must say, don't read newspapers but ask a GS rider about it.

I live here and i have traveled arroud the country so much so i decided to buy my 3rd GS two years ago.

There are people that had a good or bad experience traveling here, but this is because when you don't have a local guy to tell and show places than you are just another turist in a bike!

So if anyone plans to travel, send me any questions and i will try to answer them.
But something i will insure you is that you will have a great trip and no one is going to touch your GS!!!!:comfort

I can even come along with you, but i have to plan before(busy man)

Regards,

Albania is cool

I only scratched the surface but I will be back for more.

3453847107_12144f866a_b.jpg

3501830091_d4e654e248_b.jpg

3431357693_dedab4fcca_b.jpg

3502712466_355b9fdcb6_b.jpg

3502685800_481e75f50a_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/everywherevirtually/sets/72157617317646389/

hi paji, could you please send your gps traces? Iam hitting the road italy,slovenia croatia albania greece and turkey in august.email is: lebibe01@aol.com.. many thanks..

hi paji, could you please send your gps traces? Iam hitting the road italy,slovenia croatia albania greece and turkey in august.email is: lebibe01@aol.com.. many thanks..

Would you let me know how your trip goes?

I have a friend in Tirana who has invited me over and I am seriously considering this for next year!

Back
Top Bottom