Tatra Mountains

Peter Pan

Reaction score
Hi Folks, Merry Crimbo and all the best to you all in 2008!

I'm toying with the idea of travelling to the Tatra Mountains with World of BMW in early June 2008 (see link below)

http://www.worldofbmw.co.uk/content/travelTourDetails.asp?article=942

It's just a consideration at this stage, but was wondering if anyone else is thinking about going?
Any suggestions or things to watch out for?

Cheers! :thumb

In late June 07 / early July, I travelled solo out from Newcastle to Ijmuiden, Holland; to Bad Lautenburg in the Harz Mtns, West Germany visiting Mittelburg Dora where the germans built the V1 & V2 rockets, Leipzig & Colditz; Kutna Hora (Church of Bones), Czech; Ozweicim, Poland (Auschwitz) & Zakopane; into Slovakia riding in the Tatra Mountain and around the Spissky Hrad area; into Hungary Komarno & Lake Balaton; into Austria (Mariazell); into Italy (Dolomite mountains around Cortina & Timmelsjoch pass); and then to Garmisch for 3 days at the BMW Biker meeting, before the return homeward leg via Cochem, Mosel and the ferry from Ijmuiden. 3,800 miles in just over 2 weeks.

Couple of points about the BMW trip. There are not too many roads in the Tatra's and the mountain area itself is closed to motor vehicles. You can drive round the mountains but not get up close & personal as you do when riding in the Dolomites or Alpine passes. I did not find any big climbs, hairpins or twisties that you get in the other mountains. Polish A & B class roads are not too well surfaced - watch out for suicidal driving. Roads in Slovakia were somewhat better.

Accommodation was plentiful & cheap in all these countries. Nothing was pre-booked except the 3 nights at Garmisch (35 euros per night). Poland cost a total of £50 for 3 nights B&B in a nice guesthouse in Zakopane (out-of ski season the guesthouses were tripping over each other for business). In Germany & Austria it is easy to find good accommodation at 30-45 euros per night - all for single, en-suite rooms. Colditz Castle youth hostel was about 25 euros. Food was cheap & good in Poland. Czech, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, & Hungary all still use local currency & not the Euro however cash can be drawn from ATM's as you go or £'s / Euros converted.

I presume BMW will use hotels to cater for the larger numbers they take on tour however if you went independantly with a couple of friends I would think you could each do a similar tour for about half the BMW price, leaving plenty of money for beer & petrol. I only speak a few words of German and have found I get by as English is fairly widely spoken in any area which caters to tourists.

Whilst you may prefer that everything is organised by BMW and you have people with you, it may be worth working out what the trip would cost independantly if you bought your ferry ticket and paid your accommodation as you went.

Hi Wicker,

Thanks for your lengthy reply to the thread I started about World of BMVV and the Tatra Mountains.

I tried to PM you but you're not set up to receive PM's! :nenau

Taking your views into account, my friend and I have decided to 'go it alone' and do our own thing as the dates of their trip don't fit well with our work committments.

The purpose of my writing to you now is to ask if, when you travel, you use a GPS system (I have a Garmin 2610) and whether there were any waypoints, points of interest, hotels - or even your route that you'd consider sharing with me?

We're both in the very early days of planning so any specific information you can provide at this stage will be extremely useful.

I wasn't clear how long your trip was in total, but we're planning on going for between 12 and 14 days. Daily mileages of circa 300 miles (or less) are OK with us.

Any help you can offer would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Peter :thumb

Hi Pan -

I'm going to be doing a shortened version of this trip in March.

If I don't freeze to death en route, I'll add anything interesting/important to this thread when I return.

Paul G

Thanks Paul. Good accommodation details (name & waypoints) etc. would be appreciated as once we know where the potential hotel stops are we can plan our route accordingly.

It can be very tiring searching the web for hotels only to (potentially) be disappointed once you actually arrive.

My friend and I are used to long days in the saddle so would rather know we've got our overnights accommodation booked in advance and that we can take all day to get there without feeling pressured to arrive and check in early just to be sure of finding somewhere. :thumb2

OK, if I find any decent spots I'll be sure to pick up contact details so you can deal with them remotely.

Thanks, by the way, to Wicker too, I found your info helpful.

Paul G

Peter,
I cannot seem to find a method of e-mailing you directly via this website. I do use GPS (Zumo) on my trips and could send you routes / waypoints that I used from my trip to Eastern Europe in mid 2007 however I have not yet figured out how to attach a file to this type of post and I do not use file saharing software.

I used the Lonely Planet Guide to Eastern Europe as my winter planning guide as this provides high level info for a number of countries and simply plotted rough route which joined up the dots. Bad lautenburg to visit Nordhausen - Colditz - Festung Konigstein overlooking Danube - Church of Bones @ Kutna Hora - Auschwitz - Zakopane - Lake Balaton - east Austria - Cortina, Italy - Garmisch - Cochem -Ijmuiden ferry. Places like Auschwitz generally have their own website where you can check opening times and decide how this fits into any plan.

Sailed from Newcastle on a Sat 23rd June and was back into the UK on Wed 11th July - 19 days (17 riding days in Europe).

Peter,
I cannot seem to find a method of e-mailing you directly via this website. I do use GPS (Zumo) on my trips and could send you routes / waypoints that I used from my trip to Eastern Europe in mid 2007 however I have not yet figured out how to attach a file to this type of post and I do not use file saharing software.

I used the Lonely Planet Guide to Eastern Europe as my winter planning guide as this provides high level info for a number of countries and simply plotted rough route which joined up the dots. Bad lautenburg to visit Nordhausen - Colditz - Festung Konigstein overlooking Danube - Church of Bones @ Kutna Hora - Auschwitz - Zakopane - Lake Balaton - east Austria - Cortina, Italy - Garmisch - Cochem -Ijmuiden ferry. Places like Auschwitz generally have their own website where you can check opening times and decide how this fits into any plan.

Sailed from Newcastle on a Sat 23rd June and was back into the UK on Wed 11th July - 19 days (17 riding days in Europe).

Hi Wicker. Did you do the route in the order above? Do you have locations of accommodation?

My email address is ourhouse@onetel.com Cheers mate :thumb2

EAST EUROPE Routes & info

I have removed your post Globerider as non-sponsors may not advertise on the site.

Aidan1150

Back
Top Bottom