Commuting on a GS Adventure

Frankers

Does any one have any experience/comments please?

I'm fed up with travelling to London by train every day and have been speaking to friends and colleagues that ride bikes in. My journey is an 84 mile round trip from Tunbridge Wells to Central London.

One friend rides a 1200GS Adv on a similar route each day and speaks very highly of it. Does anyone here have a similar ride and what is the bike like to live with day it day out?

What's the fuel consumption like - general wear and tear?

Thanks for your help

Greetings Frankers, i will have to comute to London in the new year and i will be doin it on my 1150 GS. My good friend Adie uses his GSA everyday no matter what the weather and i must say that these are some of the best bikes for the job.
Fuel consumption depends on your right hand but i get 220 miles to a tank and the Adventure does about 300 riding between 70/90mph with panniers and thats both bikes.
No real service problems..make sure you got a good battery..the bikes will use oil,they all do. Keep an eye on your brake pads...but really these bikes go on for ever.
Make sure your helmet and visor are in good condition and dont mist up in heavy traffic and rain. Make sure your winter riding gear is really waterproof, and your gloves.Make sure your feet dont get wet or cold and make sure your heated grips work. Tyres are good for 8/9 thousand,change the oil and filter every 3/4 thousand.
Its funny you know....all our biking friends dissappear come the onset of autum and its just us Bemur riders left...more road for us then eh!
I even do the shopping on my 1150. Hope this helps.

how many threads have you started?

Isn't one enough? Where is Mod power when you need it? :D

Thanks BIGMARKY very encouraging.

Novice - only the two!!! Posted the first one and then read that all questions should be posted on the other one. No more of the same though!!!

Thanks BIGMARKY very encouraging.

Novice - only the two!!! Posted the first one and then read that all questions should be posted on the other one. No more of the same though!!!

Welcome aboard Frankers :thumb2

I'll look for your other thread on this subject and post my thorghts on there.

Val.

Frankers,

I commute on the shite that is SouthEastern as well and have a lot further than you to travel, but in the summer I do use the 1150GS, most days rain or shine.

In winter the unpredicability of the weather puts me off. In good dry weather I set off about 7.45 and get into Islington about 0915! A whole 45 minutes quicker than the train/tube.

In summer it is satisfying and sometimes the best part of the day is riding in and home, even with the traffic backed up on the approaches to the Blackwall Tunnel.

In winter when it is pissing with rain or freezing cold, the train has no competition.

Frankers,

Looks like I live just a few miles uop trhe road from Invicta Moto and have ridden my R1200GS into work most days for the past two years.

I usually come off the motorway about 20 miles form home so I can have a back road blast for the final stage of the journey , increases the pleasure of the commute.

If you are not sure why not give it a go for a while when your season ticket is up for renewal. Depeneding upon exactly where you work it can knock a lot of time off your daily commute; and save a lot of money too. Even though petrol is now over 1.00 a litre my daily consumption is less than a third of the train fare.

Oh how I envy all you folks, who work in the city, who commute on a daily basis and get paid a kings ransom in return, me a mere northerner, having to suffer living in the lake district, only spending a mere ten minutes getting to work, where I'me paid a pittance.

when you retire and buy that country estate oop norf, can I have a job please :bounce1

Oh how I envy all you folks, who work in the city, who commute on a daily basis and get paid a kings ransom in return, me a mere northerner, having to suffer living in the lake district, only spending a mere ten minutes getting to work, where I'me paid a pittance.

when you retire and buy that country estate oop norf, can I have a job please :bounce1

+1 except sommerset:thumb

Back
Top Bottom