Dolomites OK in mid-May??

GSmonkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning on going to Italy on the bike in mid-May. Has anybody ridden the Dolomites in May? Are the high passes open??

Planning on going to Italy on the bike in mid-May. Has anybody ridden the Dolomites in May? Are the high passes open??

Generally they will be open but you may find the odd one that is still closed however signs at the bottom will tell you that (unless like me you didn't believe them:eek:).

AndyT:cool:

Attachments

• roadblock1.jpg
    roadblock1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
should be fine - def a darn site more fun than the UK in May :)

I went onto the alipineroads website which seemed to imply that they were open all year i.e. it had no info in the road closure column. I'm assuming the Dolomites are a tad warmer than the Swiss passes so its reasonable that they are open earlier???

Cheers :thumb2

As previous have done the Dolomites in May and OK, Timmelsjoch from Austria into Italy was open, roads clear but plenty of snow about but does it make good pics!!

Teejay

You will find that early in the year that a lot of hotels/restaurants etc are shut after the ski-season and before the summer season begins. All the tourist nonsense like cable cars will be shut too. Will just be you and a few german bikers.

It's a great time to go IMHO - as has been said, plenty of snow around to make it look pretty but roads are open and quiet.

We always managed to find accomadation but it can be tricky with a lot of hotels shut.

Some piccies from May 06:

DSCF0907.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0891.jpg

DSCF0884.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

Andres

Looks good :thumb2

Any recommendations re. passes that are a must and those to avoid?? (Garmin routes would be good :))

Campsite recommendations also gratefully received.

Cheers

I went onto the alipineroads website which seemed to imply that they were open all year i.e. it had no info in the road closure column. I'm assuming the Dolomites are a tad warmer than the Swiss passes so its reasonable that they are open earlier???

Looks like no wheeled traffic today: http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php on their webcam views :cool:

Depending which way you are coming in to Italy
1. Timmelsjoch
2. Jaufen
3. Stiffelsjoch(Stelvio)
4. Any route across towards Cortina
5. Any route from Bolzano area uptowards Jaufen Pass
6. Pick a road and explore it

Have got our routes from 2007 in from Switzerland in and out over Timmelsjoch on Garmin V8 if you have E-Mail will send as an attachment.

Teejay

Depending which way you are coming in to Italy
1. Timmelsjoch
2. Jaufen
3. Stiffelsjoch(Stelvio)
4. Any route across towards Cortina
5. Any route from Bolzano area uptowards Jaufen Pass
6. Pick a road and explore it

Have got our routes from 2007 in from Switzerland in and out over Timmelsjoch on Garmin V8 if you have E-Mail will send as an attachment.

Teejay

I would check if the Timmelsjoch is open as when I went in May it was still closed. I never mentioned that one as its not in the Dolomites. If it is open however I heartily recomend it, fantastic run down into Italy and the best value for money Hotels in the world at the bottom in St Leonards:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom