BMW Emergency Service Cover

Bramble

I've just received a quote of £130 for european-wide breakdown assistance including home start from BMW financial services.
I hunted around and have bought the same level of cover from AXA Assistance for £57.50!
The only difference is that AXA doesn't send out a BMW technician to have a look and then say "it'll have to go to the dealership" and then you have to wait for the recovery vehicle.
If anybody has had a really bad experience with AXA can you let me know - I still have 14 days to cancel the policy.

I've just received a quote of £130 for european-wide breakdown assistance including home start from BMW financial services.
I hunted around and have bought the same level of cover from AXA Assistance for £57.50!
The only difference is that AXA doesn't send out a BMW technician to have a look and then say "it'll have to go to the dealership" and then you have to wait for the recovery vehicle.
If anybody has had a really bad experience with AXA can you let me know - I still have 14 days to cancel the policy.

Don't know what it's like in the UK but in Ireland BMW don't send out a technician for bikes either - have both AXA and BMW cover (AXA came free with my insurance) when I did break down AXA had a technian on the phone who tried to talk me through getting it started.. BMW did not! Go figure!

I have had two positive experiences with BMW. First was when I had inadvertently left my headlight on while parked up for 4 days at Heathrow Terminal 1. They had a van round in under an hour and me back on the road, all at around 11 at night.

Second was just before Xmas, when my R1200GS was written off in an accident (just like the one you see on the box where the idiot in a car pulls out from the side street). Atrocious weather, but they were there in less than an hour, and ferried me and the busted bike home, a trip of nearly 60 miles.

I had financed the bike through BMW anyway, and it was all part of the deal.

bmw recovery

just coming to end of first year of ownership,renewal for full recovery etc ,£450. AA here I come.

I had an issue in France, BMW could not be bothered to help me, cost me about £1000 all told, BMW told me it wasn't their fault as they contracted it out to a third party.

Don't waste your money cos they are a shower of 5hit.

And yes I am still sore about it.

My '08 R1200GS recently broke down (fuel pump relay). BMW picked me up within 30 mins and transported me home. Next morning I rang them to pick up the bike form home. 20 mins later it was on the way to the dealer and was returned fixed the same day. That is what I call service! :clap
(Although you could say that it's shite that a 5 month old bike should break down :spitfire)

Beware of AXA cover

Long story short, AXA stranded me in Belgium for 4 days with a puncture. My rear tyre was slashed by a chunk of metal so no chance of plugging so had to be replaced.

The bike was collected (by an unidentified 'bloke' in a 4x4) and put in to the nearest shop that was then closed for 3 days. This was after I refused to ride there or accept a tow over 45km of hilly roads, Endless promises of help but at the end of the day, most of their promises came to nothing. Over 40 phone calls eventually got me home 4 days late.

Low level of professionalism and useful help. Beware.

Mr B had a bad experience which is a pity.

Axa currently underwrite the Carole Nash scheme. Seems that most people I know are happy with the service provided.

hi Bramble,

I used to work for BMW ES as a technician, then as a trainer. They carry quite a lot of bike spares, batteries/fuel pump electronics/puncture repair kits/etc), and being a keen biker i did a lot of bike training with them, from putting the bike on centre stand toremoving tanks/alternators etc.

I no longer work for them, but had a puncture on my GS a few weeks ago, i rang them but didnt tell them who i was or where i worked, (with BMW now), they sent a BMW tech out within 1/2 hour, plugged the tyre, i was on my way in 35 mins!! Incidently, i broke down in Belgium once, they sent out a local truck and i still made my ferry home!

Cant reccomend them enough!!!:thumb

Someone else has said that the b/down/recovery service was 450 pounds, that surely must have included warranty?

hi Bramble,

I used to work for BMW ES as a technician, then as a trainer. They carry quite a lot of bike spares, batteries/fuel pump electronics/puncture repair kits/etc), and being a keen biker i did a lot of bike training with them, from putting the bike on centre stand toremoving tanks/alternators etc.

I no longer work for them, but had a puncture on my GS a few weeks ago, i rang them but didnt tell them who i was or where i worked, (with BMW now), they sent a BMW tech out within 1/2 hour, plugged the tyre, i was on my way in 35 mins!! Incidently, i broke down in Belgium once, they sent out a local truck and i still made my ferry home!

Cant reccomend them enough!!!:thumb

Someone else has said that the b/down/recovery service was 450 pounds, that surely must have included warranty?

I dont believe You called BMW for a puncture:D

We broke down yesterday near Pickering North Yorks. Our 2008 RT just stopped. Plenty of Fuel in the Tank. Lots of life in the Battery but she wouldn't start. No fault shown on the Multi display. Called BMW Assist. Lady said she would send a "Technician". Two hours later a Recovery Van arrived with a "Driver" (not a Technician). Driver was a nice chap but was obviously not comfortable handling a Large Tourer. I loaded the Bike myself with a bit of push and shove from the Driver and my Wife. I had to point out to the Driver that the front wheel "locator" in the Van was not suitable for the RT and that the Tie Down Straps should not come into contact with any Plastic parts. Made the best of the situation with Bike on Side Stand and Straps over the Seat. (Urrgh). Driver drove us and the Bike home very Carefully. All in all Job done, but my Gripe is that why send out a Recovery Driver to a Bike breakdown when the Driver is not really comfortable handling Bikes. Will call my Dealer shortly to see what to do next. Sound like the dreaded Fuel Pump Controller to me. 2008 Bike with only 2000 miles !!. Good job we were not on the way to catch a Ferry !!.

Thats nice to know.. I have that cover included with my insurance - so take that away and my Insurance for the year works out at £29.40.

Marvellous!! who said owning BMWs was expensive? :augie

Back
Top Bottom