Switzerland

Colins

I am planning my summer holiday to Lake Garda for mid June and am planning on riding down through the Swiss Alps. I have been told that I will need a pass to take the bike into Switzerland.

Can any one out there point me in the right direction for finding the required information on passes required.

I am planning on taking about a four days to get to Lake Garda, spend four days around the lake and then take a more direct route home taking two to three days.

Cheers

Get them cheap on ebay before you go. They look like this, but you obviously need an 08 one. If you buy one off ebay, make sure it hasn't been peeled off the backing sheet.

ref Swiss trip

Thanks for quick replys, GS now I have seen it I know what I am looking at thanks. Timolgro, yes its partly you fault that this will now be part of my trip.

I have done a little ridding in the Alps on the French side a few years back and always said I would go back, after reading your write up it fired me up to go again, this time it will be with my better half on the back and it will be her first trip, so its going to be gentel riding and half desent hotels all the way.

I do not intend riding on the motorways but would prefer to purchase a pass just in case. what price are they ?.

cheers

they were CHF40 last year (about 20 quid). you can buy them at the border crossings.

you can buy them in petrol stations as well after you cross the border.

I vowed I wouldn't use the motorways in Switzerland a few years ago so didn't buy the passes. Then got so completely and utterly lost in and around Geneva that when I saw a sign for the direction we wanted to go I clutched at it like a drowning man... spent about ten minutes on the motorway and didn't get stopped, but I don't really know how typical this was/how lucky we were.

I vowed I wouldn't use the motorways in Switzerland a few years ago so didn't buy the passes. Then got so completely and utterly lost in and around Geneva that when I saw a sign for the direction we wanted to go I clutched at it like a drowning man... spent about ten minutes on the motorway and didn't get stopped, but I don't really know how typical this was/how lucky we were.

I vowed the same but needed to cover some ground on a few occasions, I didn't bother with a pass and had no problems at all.

You can buy them online at the Swiss Embassy London saves any messing about at the border then u just get waved thru.

We spent several days in Switzerland last summer and crossed into and out of Austria, Italy and Germany too. We didn't use the motorways (why would you want to do that in Switzerland?) and were never asked to buy or produce a vignette(tax disc) As has already been said, don't do anything until you need to. Enjoy the trip.

FFS it's 18 quid ...

They can impound your bike if you don't pay or are arsey , BTW

Absolutely + 1 BUT...

I find the Swiss really nice folks and their roads are SO worthy of a paltry 18 quid :eek:

I like to think that in our own way we are preserving the scenery by making the Motorway system even more user friendly for 'box users' :D

Absolutely + 1 BUT...

I find the Swiss really nice folks and their roads are SO worthy of a paltry 18 quid :eek:

I like to think that in our own way we are preserving the scenery by making the Motorway system even more user friendly for 'box users' :D

couldn't have put it better myself:clap

buy it before you go
if you get caught on the motorway without one big fine might as well buy it forget it nice sticker for the screen
have a fantastic holiday switzerland is beautiful so is lake garda

Back
Top Bottom