Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
news just in....
Shock Horror!
Luddite Airhead rider gets a GPS! :D

just thought I would take the pith before you lot do :p

now then,
dont laugh coz the only reason i got this yoke was the speedo is hopeless on my Airhead and this thing is way cheaper than a replacement ;) and has a backlight which my BIcycle speedo doesn't.

its a "Garmin III plus".
yes, i know - old as them there hills. basic, maybe obsolete even :nenau.

However, serious query;
(1st and foremost; cheap!)
~ any suggestions for a mount to the handlebars?
~ a power lead to the bike?
~seriously... what use is it other than what i got it for?
~ any top tips for me? as stated - am clueless and Luddite too! :D

oh dear - i see from the sundial its time to go home now.... :augie
Thanks in advance. :thumb2
~~
Og.

I use one and it is quite good, a little slower and smallerrack memory (maybe none, no that I tink of it) than 276C
Mount it using RAM and handlebar clamp.
Power it using a fused lead along the frame back to the battery. Eats the batteries so make sure you get the lead.
GPS Warehouse do these things, but you might find one cheaper elsewhere.
Has it got a CN map in it or is it just the base map ?
Bin

Lost - the new series begins here!

[Has it got a CN map in it or is it just the base map ?/QUOTE]
. . . ..... i did warn you - i know nuttink about these yokes...

CN map = ?
base map....?

it does have under "map source info" on the menu;
"8 of 25 maps loaded" with labels such as "United kingdom Roads and Recreation.... ABERCRAVE UK"

presume thats a piece of UK ordinance survey info?
(the unit was got by a mate of mine from eBay UK originally).

little detail, VERY little for Irl. on whatevers built in.

and hey - HTF do you up or download / connect to a p.c. with this?! - theres no apparent "socket" for a usb or whatever! :blast :D

ANYhow - looks like a good little unit - old and basic, sure - but it has more features than i'd expected and will do what i got it for.
if i learn more about GPS with it and maybe get it working to its full potential - i'll be well chuffed.

~~

Last edited:
Toblerone style gps

Mount it using RAM and handlebar clamp.
Power it using a fused lead along the frame back to the battery. Eats the batteries so make sure you get the lead. Bin

Handlebar mount is RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA (short arm) with RAM-HOL-GA2 cradle holds your toblerone gps .. as for the power lead, then bare wire end style is BEC01 or with BMW plug fitted, CLC01B

"8 of 25 maps loaded" with labels such as "United kingdom Roads and Recreation.... ABERCRAVE UK"

presume thats a piece of UK ordinance survey info?

Somebody been to BMW Rider Training - Abercrave is just down the road and the favorite place to stay.

Marc.. I've got a Ram kit I got with the Zumo you can have if you want.
Has handlebar clamp, short arm and a round plate to mount the GPS on..

Drop me a PM and I can try to get it to you.

On the function side of it.. You might want to contact professor Daithi as he seems pretty up to speed on these things.

wow.
you bunch of Tossers never cease to amaze me :D

between online and P.Ms - i've got more help and info than an hour spent doing a google search.

:clapThanks Folks - yer wonderful!:clap

i shall reply in more detail when i can. at the moment i've solved one prob with it and created another in the process.:blast typical of me :D.

Holds 1.44mb of mapping, the only mapping that will fit in the memory is Roads & Recreation, and do bike power it as vibration used to turn mine off when it was on batteries, that was an airhead... (R100RT)

Welcom to the club :p

Marc, if you still need assistance give me a shout and I'll drop over sometime. I fitted a Zumo to my GS using the RAM mounts and its powered by the bike. I'm also not bad with PC's so I can give you a hand with the mapping software, I've owned enough GPS/Sat nav units at this stage.

Matt

updating...

right.
now i've got used to this yoke... (yeah -played with it til i flattened a few sets of batteries / but will hardwire it as soon as i get time- now the noveltys wore off :p) i know where i stand (facing north :D).....

seems i've got the betamax equivalent of GPS units :blast

i dont mind - all i wanted was a speedo that worked and i could read at night. :thumb2
so - that much i DO have.

~seems i need a prog on the p.c. to "read" the device. - aint got one / cant find one online. :confused:

~ so it would seem i cant load any maps on it / nor remove whats there - which is all southwest U.K. anyhow. :nenau

~ but if anyones got ideas on how to improve it.... fire away.
~ if i get no replies - thats cool too.

Ta for the help :beerjug: - which really has chuffed me :eek:
:thumb2

Guess you mean Mapsource. Free download from Garmin website.

:rob Think you'll find that the Mapsource download on the Garmin website only allows you to update a previous version of Mapsource that you already need to have installed on your pc. It is not the whole standalone version of the software.

Peter

:rob Think you'll find that the Mapsource download on the Garmin website only allows you to update a previous version of Mapsource that you already need to have installed on your pc. It is not the whole standalone version of the software.

Peter

having searched the Garmin website - thats my understanding too. :(
aw well.
Thanks to you both anyhow.

off topic;
i used to like seeing the road sign for Ampthill..... it meant i was well out of Luton and heading north to far more interesting places :D :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom