I ordered it yesterday!

chrisjk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My F 800 GS that is. I went to the MCN show at Excel and as soon as I saw it my heart beat faster. When I got on it, nothing could have stopped me pulling out the plastic. Now all I have to do is wait..

I fell in love with this sort of thing on a trip aboard a GS 650 through Patagonia, last November. It's a bit different from my other bikes - a Goldwing GL1800 and a Kawasaki ZZR 1100 but hey, who says you can only love one bike at a a time? Actually I am going to have to sell the ZZR I only have room for two:tears

What I need to do now is get connected with the BMW community, I also want to learn some basic maintenance so that when I need to change a tyre or a rear shock I have some idea how to go about it. I hope to take the bike on dirt roads in Europe but any advice regarding some dirt riding closer to home would also be most welcome.

Chris

Welcome to the collective an congats on the new purchase.

You picked the right place to get connected, great resource of information and the nicest bunch of Tossers you could wish to meet. :thumb

Thanks Thunder, It's nice to be here and I'm proud to have finally become a tosser!

Hi Chris & welcome to the asylum. Your sure to find everything you want here, & plenty you don`t!!!!!!!!
Enjoy the new GS when it arrives :thumb

Hi Chris - congrats on your new purchase, how long is the wait??

PS - I think we met on the BMW off-road skills before your Patagonia trip... good to hear you've been bitten with the off-roading bug :clap

Thanks to you all for the welcome, it's good to be here.

Mav, yes I think we did meet on that course - it was very valuable, as I hadn't ridden off-road for donkey's years and I certainly needed the refresher! The ruts on Ruta 40 in Argentina and a couple of the roads in the Andes were pretty demanding :eek:

The dealer said I should get one of the first bikes he receives as I just accepted the spec he was getting (with the principal add ons basically), so if I am lucky, I should see it in March!

Route 40

How did you get on with this? some of that gravel / stones was a bit deep wasent it!. The scenary was nice though, I hasd to do this bit in a van as I'd sprained my ankle doing sillys on a dirt /sandy road in Chilie lesson don't try changing ruts when their over six inches deep!.
dave gs.

Dave,

That gravel could be a real problem at times. I came off on one corner when I entered it too fast and the gravel was very deep. I lost it completely and twisted my leg quite badly - I was lucky I could still ride afterwards! I found the ruts difficult when they got deep too. My heart would sink at times when I was in a deep rut and a truck came the other way, knowing I had to get out of the rut I was in to avoid the truck and move further onto my side of the road. I got better at it but it is something I still need to learn to do much better still and with confidence.

Some of the worst stuff I found was where the road had been recently graded but travelled enough by trucks to leave fist sized marbles on a hard packed surface in the corners.

Back
Top Bottom