Pot Holes

Davy

Reaction score
Big pot hole in Seal Sands back road on the railway bridge:mad:

Buckled front and back wheel, don't know how I stayed on the thing, heart is still pounding.

Has anyone any experience of putting a claim into the council? Don't fancy loosing my no claims.

claim

take photos of the pot hole take a tape measure to check the dept of the hole and the size length width you will have to claim off the county council as they are responsible for the highway i dont know what your council district is

Cleveland.

Just been out and taken some photos. 6" - 7" deep and 12" wide / long.

Have also reported it to the police as I could have easily come off.........bouncing down the road ...........or........into oncoming traffic:eek:

How the Fuc*k you hit that I never now :D
read the road ahead ;)

More tthe question of how I didn't come off!

It was dark coming home from work, car ahead so main beam off. If you are a council employee you may need the work concept explaining a bit:augie.

Rang insurance company today, they said my bike wasn't listed on the policy:eek: I have two bikes insured on the policy I say. We don't do multi bike insurance says the nice lady.:type Computer says no:spitfire:spitfire:spitfire Document in front of me says otherwise. Hopefully get sorted Monday.

No dont work for the council
but I would like to :D
even the chance of being a office boffin would be good :D;)

good luck with the insurance

mike dont be a silly man now then read the info and then look at the smilies :D;)

Terry, please translate that last sentence into plain English (preferably without hidden F words).
Thanks.
Mike Tee

Insurance looks like it is sorted:D yes bike is insured only one of my bikes shows up on computer:confused: waiting for estimate from dealer:)

Still wonder if anyone has had any experience making a claim against a local council for damage to a vehicle due to road surface (or lack of it)?

Insurance looks like it is sorted:D yes bike is insured only one of my bikes shows up on computer:confused: waiting for estimate from dealer:)

Still wonder if anyone has had any experience making a claim against a local council for damage to a vehicle due to road surface (or lack of it)?

I've done it twice and won. Provided you have phots, evidence of damage, witnesses if poss (in case it's happened before), you should be able to present a case under Section 41 of Highways Act (google it). They may have a defence if they can prove that they had an effective inspection/maintenance system in place, but in both my cases they admitted liability. I claimed on insurance first and then took up the case with the County/City Council. I guess if you can leave the bike offroad you could get a quote for repairs and not go down the insurance road first. I suspect that if they pay up, they will want evidence of a 'professional' repair as opposed to paying you for the parts. It may also be an idea to have the bike fully inspected for misalignment or suspension damage. I think if you get your act together you will stand a good chance of success - I believe some councils are paying out as much in compensation as they spend on road repair. If it goes pear shaped you could always go to the Small Claims Court - dead easy to use. Go for it!!!:beerjug:

I've done it twice and won. Provided you have phots, evidence of damage, witnesses if poss (in case it's happened before), you should be able to present a case under Section 41 of Highways Act (google it). They may have a defence if they can prove that they had an effective inspection/maintenance system in place, but in both my cases they admitted liability. I claimed on insurance first and then took up the case with the County/City Council. I guess if you can leave the bike offroad you could get a quote for repairs and not go down the insurance road first. I suspect that if they pay up, they will want evidence of a 'professional' repair as opposed to paying you for the parts. It may also be an idea to have the bike fully inspected for misalignment or suspension damage. I think if you get your act together you will stand a good chance of success - I believe some councils are paying out as much in compensation as they spend on road repair. If it goes pear shaped you could always go to the Small Claims Court - dead easy to use. Go for it!!!:beerjug:

Thanks very much Iletts.:beerjug: Watch this space for my progress.

My brother in law claimed a couple of years ago from Bradford council,one large pot hole = Ducati bendy rims and two damaged tyres.
He provided them with photos of the pothole an estimate for damage to the bike and they paid up within a week no qualms.
Speak to a local and if possible find out how long the road has been in that state as the council/local highways dept have a duty to maintain it.

My brother in law claimed a couple of years ago from Bradford council,one large pot hole = Ducati bendy rims and two damaged tyres.
He provided them with photos of the pothole an estimate for damage to the bike and they paid up within a week no qualms.
Speak to a local and if possible find out how long the road has been in that state as the council/local highways dept have a duty to maintain it.

Thanks Neil, local council are sending out a claim form, hope it's as easy as that.

Good luck with the claim - those rims look well mangled.

Having seen the photos you were bloody lucky, in a similar case if that was reported to the police regarding the danger to road users they would turn out the council to sort it or cone off the road.
The local highways departments have either telephone nos or e mail contacts to report similar and are duty bound to do something about it asap or risk having their a***s sued off if anyone is injured as a result of a road defect which is ignored .

Reported to police on Friday night after it happened and then to the council on the Monday but it wasn't repaired till the Tuesday. Doesn't look a particularly good repair though. I'll be slowing down a bit on that road in future:rob

Back
Top Bottom