TT2 V Accessory Plug

gyro_nyc

Unable to locate any power points on the 2004 GS, :augieI have installed NN's instrument tidy with accessory power point.

Naive I know but I had expected a cigarette style car lighter; I got instead a BMW type appendage. :eek NN has now provided me with matching plugs.

But, before attempting this :hide I wondered how other people are powering their TomTom ?

Have you changed the lead plugs ? Does TomTom provide leads with BMW style plugs? If you have performed cable surgery, any comments / problems from this procedure ?

Thanks!

If you look at the wiring loom to the left of the headstock there is a lump which you can ease out of the covering. It is the ignition controlled socket BMW provide for connecting a satnav. You can get the matching plug with lead attached from a dealer but I just tinned the ends of the satnav wires to make them stiff and they fitted into the socket perfectly. Then just covered it with self amalgamating tape. It's been like that for over two years and works perfectly.

Incidentally the plugs for the BMW socket are pretty standard DIN and are easy to get hold of. Triumph motorcycles use the same plugs. They are a lot more secure than the cigarette lighter plugs and don't vibrate out of the socket (I wish cars would use them). If you need to have something powered from both bike and car there are convertable plugs available that fit both, although they are a little bulky. I use one for my MP3 player charger which I got from a Triumph dealer/

thanks ...

If you look at the wiring loom to the left of the headstock there is a lump which you can ease out of the covering. It is the ignition controlled socket BMW provide for connecting a satnav. You can get the matching plug with lead attached from a dealer but I just tinned the ends of the satnav wires to make them stiff and they fitted into the socket perfectly. Then just covered it with self amalgamating tape. It's been like that for over two years and works perfectly.

Incidentally the plugs for the BMW socket are pretty standard DIN and are easy to get hold of. Triumph motorcycles use the same plugs. They are a lot more secure than the cigarette lighter plugs and don't vibrate out of the socket (I wish cars would use them). If you need to have something powered from both bike and car there are convertable plugs available that fit both, although they are a little bulky. I use one for my MP3 player charger which I got from a Triumph dealer/

Thanks for the tip - I will take a look at the loom. In another thread someone suggested there is a also an accessory socket near the left foot but I cannot find this. Perhaps this is optional.

Also I am wondernig if I need a CAN bus lead - how can I know which bikes got fitted with a CANbus? I have a 2004 model recently acquired ....

Forget the CANBUS. Your bike has it as standard, it's not something thats "fitted". Basically it's a local area network which allows a wiring loom with less wires. It can cause problems with some , mainly electronic, kit that wires into the bikes sytems, flasher timers for example, but there is no problem adding kit wired through the accessory socket, front satnav socket or direct to the battery and there is no "CANBUS lead" that you need.

Some Beamers have the accessory socket near the left foot but I guess yours is the same as other GSs. Near side below the seat.

Just to clarify which bike do you have?

If it's a 1200 then you have can bus, if one of the 11's then you don't and use good old fashioned fuses.

All the talk of an accessory socket on the headstock refers to the 1200. :thumb

Just to clarify which bike do you have?

If it's a 1200 then you have can bus, if one of the 11's then you don't and use good old fashioned fuses.

All the talk of an accessory socket on the headstock refers to the 1200. :thumb

It's the 1200 alright. I have read in other posts that a Canbus cable is recommended for the GPS.

I have been looking really hard :)augie) but I have not yet found any accessory outlets, either, by the headstock or the seat. But I guess it must be there somewhere.....right?:blast

Andyclift - I was not referring to the Canbus as an optional fitment - only the accessory outlets. But I also read not all GS1200 have the Canbus. And I wondered when this became a standard fitment.:thumb2

As noted by Thunder the 1200 (I assume GS) has CANBUS. I may be misreading your post but it's not a fitment, it is an integral part of the bike design where instead of having loads of wires sending signals around it has a simpler wiring loom and relies on a form of local area network or serial link to send signals around single wires. It's nothing particularly clever. My company has been using a similar system for years to control machinery in steelworks. We used to have hundreds of wires which took weeks to install and check - and sometimes failed - now we have a computer each end and three wires.

Also to repeat earlier comment "YOU DO NOT NEED A CANBUS CABLE". There are companies that will sell you what they call a CANBUS cable and suggest you need it to wire in satnav etc. but it is complete rubbish.

If you can't find the headstock and aux sockets maybe taking to a dealer and asking would help. Failing that just wire your satnav direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

I
was not referring to the Canbus as an optional fitment - only the accessory outlets

As far as I am aware the aux socket on the nearside under the seat (a black covered socket by a frame joint) has always been standard, it's only the one on the beak that is an option.

Back
Top Bottom