Is there a beginners guide to this GPS malarky please ?

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What the title says really.
I think the time is nearly here where I should at least consider one of these GPS thingys but I know absolutely nothing about them, and I mean nothing.
I've done a search here for "beginner", "FAQ" (which is too short to search), "kiddies guide" that sort of thing and haven't found anything.
A quick pointer would be most appreciated, thank you.

Do a search on threads started by "Whatton". :thumb2

If you look in the GPS section here, then go to "Questions & Tips" there are about 5 "Stickied" threads there eg Mapsource for Dummies etc etc.

Right, it's now the next morning and brain is now fully engaged and realised that Whatton has 17,425 posts to his name so I'm open to other suggestions please.
(edit - Of this 17,425 young Whatton has started over 500 - just in case anyone is interested.)
Thanks very much.

All the threads are in the GPS subsection.

Do a search for Zumo, or 2610.

If you are new to the whole malarkey.................. get a Zumo 550. Easy to use, costs £360 here in UK, but comes complete with car and bike mounts and the whole of Europe pre-installed. :thumb

Don't get a TomTom, for God's sake, though :blast

Al :D

Right, it's now the next morning and brain is now fully engaged and realised that Whatton has 17,425 posts to his name so I'm open to other suggestions please.
(edit - Of this 17,425 young Whatton has started over 500 - just in case anyone is interested.)
Thanks very much.

Do an Advanced Search...

Choose User Name "Whatton"

Select "Find Threads Started by User" instead of "Find Posts by User"

Select the "GPS Info" in the "Search In Forum(s)" box

You'll get 35 threads to have a look though in more detail.

Also do a search on Garmin Quest as well......you can pick one up for around £80 now and it'll do everything you need and more.

Itg'd be nice to have a beginner's guide t oGPS but it's a massive task and nobody has picked it up as a challenge yet- there are many threads on it though so a search on 'beginner newbie gps' will turn up loads as well :)

According to the daily questions I get on www.zumoforums.com , the conclusion must be either

a) The zumo and mapsource are complicated pieces of equipment
b) People don't bother to read manuals and sticky's
c) People buy them, but are too lazy to do a litte hands on experiments
d) all of the above

:augie

Please don't tell "them" I told it here :D

Here in the Netherlands we have a few shops giving GPS beginners courses. Also one or two free lance GPS instructors that roam the land at dealers etc. One could imagine that these services would be available in the UK as well.

Highly recommended for starters and more "experienced" users the like :thumb

Back
Top Bottom