West Midlands Police,
Airport Police Unit,
Diamond House,
Birmingham International Airport,
Birmingham.
B26 3QJ

Dear Sir/Madam,

Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham

One of the saddest duties that we police officers here at Birmingham International Airport have to perform is policing the arrival of the medical evacuation flights from Afghanistan and Iraq. We have decided that we would like to do something to help those men and women who are injured in the course of their service for their country. We have, accordingly, been in touch with the officers in command of the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, based at Selly Oak Hospital, to see how we can help. They would like to develop their facilities by creating a restful garden area that would be of particular benefit to those soldiers who have to stay long-term, as well as the visiting families of all soldiers. We have also requested the military to prepare a list of all other items required to make the stay of soldiers and families as comfortable as possible. We have accordingly, committed ourselves to raising the money necessary to fulfil these projects. We have decided that all excess funds raised will be donated to a selection of Forces’ charities: the three Benevolent Funds, BLESMA and St Dunstan’s, for example.

We plan to raise this money on 15 March 2008, by pulling a plane across the apron of the Elmdon terminal of Birmingham International Airport. We have secured a plane for this purpose from Flybe. We will then recreate the journey of the wounded from the airport to the RCDM at Selly Oak, by carrying a stretcher and ‘patient’, a journey of 14 miles.

It has been decided that, to demonstrate the true variety of support for this venture, members of the three services will be joining us, members of the Airport Fire Service and the Ambulance Service will also be invited.

I would be very pleased if your organisation felt that it was able to support us in this charitable, non-political, venture to recognise our debt to these young men and women. If you are, would you please make any cheque payable to the ‘Airport Police Charity Fund’?

I thank you in advance for your support. Unless you request otherwise, please understand that I will not be issuing a receipt, so as to reduce our costs to a minimum. If you would like a receipt please consider providing an e-mail address.

Yours sincerely,
Inspector RD Williams

KECHB.jpg
:thumb

Please.......

:(

Read and digest........

These are real people like ourselevs..no agendas just serving OUR country.....

Be proud they are still volunteering!

You could be next!

Bilks.

Thought i would bump this to the top as it's a very worthy cause

Back
Top Bottom