Hi

GS Bloke

Reaction score
Hello...
I am looking to get a R1200GS to replace my Aprilia - or even my Harley!
I fancy the idea of somehting I just jump on and go for a nice long ride without getting a numb arse or worrying about the rain etc.
Just been to my local shop that had a S/H one of thier website, only to get thier and see a mechanic riding it up and down as it had been sold :tears
I see a few for sale on here so will start looking about.
Cheers

Hi Rob & welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay :thumb
I`m sure that since the recent introduction of the new GS you`ll be able to find an excellent second hand example, & I know that you won`t be dissapointed once you`ve taken one for a lengthy test ride.

welcome rob.
good hunting.:thumb

My local dealer (N'ampton) let me take out their demo 1200GS yesterday (Sat 22nd) for a few hours.
I went down the M1 to J13, that was good start, smooth and nimble on the m'way, had a play with a Corvette and beat him.
Popped home and the missus took some pics of me sat on the bike so I could see if it fitted me (I am 6'3"), result being - yes it does :). Also sent a pic to my Brother who is in Sales with Yamaha, and he said it suits me.
Then went into Bedford to visit a few buddies and discovered that it is great in traffic and white lining etc.
Finally headed back to N'ampton up the A428 which was the best bit, the bike has so much power that getting past slow cars is a breeze, also being up so high meant I could see over the hedges on the bends so I had a great time testing the handling out etc.
The engine thumping took a bit of getting used to as it felt like it was labouring, but a glance at the revs told me it wasn't.
The engine breaking took some getting used to as I found myself falling short of some junctions - who needs brakes with this lump.

So what did I think:
After the trip down the M1, I thought it was Ok, nothing more than that. Then I rode into Kempston then Bedford and was starting to get used to the gears and brakes, all the time I could hear the salesman saying "£1,000 excess if you bend it" so was being careful but also going a bit harder, once I got back to N'ampton, it was a case of "I neeeeed one", it's great, nimble, yet big, powerful but ride-able on wet roads, great feeling of confidence on this bike.

Today the Harley went onto eBay after a wash and polish - so if you know anyone in the market for one, pleeease get in touch - beers waiting :beerjug:

It's quite frustrating knowing I want one but not knowing if the HD will go for the money I would like so I can get me a GSA.

Glad you enjoyed your test ride Rob, told you you would`nt be dissapointed with the GS :thumb2

"I neeeeed one", it's great, nimble, yet big, powerful but ride-able on wet roads, great feeling of confidence on this bike.

Today the Harley went onto eBay after a wash and polish

Best thing you've done in 2008. There are other dealers out there that aren't a million miles away from you. Google is your friend :thumb

Alternatively you could become a subscribed Tosser in here and have access to the "For Sale and Wanted" section where you could buy a bike off one of us :thumb

Buttons on the top left of the tool bar ;)

Best thing you've done in 2008. There are other dealers out there that aren't a million miles away from you. Google is your friend :thumb

Alternatively you could become a subscribed Tosser in here and have access to the "For Sale and Wanted" section where you could buy a bike off one of us :thumb

Buttons on the top left of the tool bar ;)

I have already been looking in there and tried to reply to one but couldn't and later found that need to subscribe first.
Can't wait though, been looking at the events that are going on all over the place and sounds great, although we have our first kiddie due next month so may not be able to much this year, but will do as much as I can.
Gonna wait and see what happens on eBay and if it does sell for good money I may go for the GSA as the Mrs really likes it (she fancies Ewan Mc bloke) and I am warming to it as well.

Talking of Ewan, me and the missus went into MK on Sat and she dragged me through the smelly dept in Deb's (cough splutter) and found a blokes smelly with Ewan on called 'Adventurer' - and then sprayed me with it :eek:, words escape me.. can't anyone do anything these days without selling out and releasing a line of smelly stuff?
http://film.five.tv/blog/Ewan-McGregor-does-perfume
Having said that, she really liked it and said that it would defoo pull the birds.... mmmm tempting.... I wonder if that was permission too..... :cool:

Hey Rob K, sounds like you had a breeze on the test ride:D

Funny thing is, I did a similar switch last summer - traded my Heritage Softail for a new 1200 GS...no regrets whatsoever! I bought mine from Wollaston and they took my H-D in part-ex (they then traded it out to a H-D dealers in Newmarket). They gave me a fair deal on the part-ex.....not fantastic, but just about fair.

I know the roads you went on pretty well - from where I live I like to zip down the A5 to Milton Kenyes, cut across MK to J13 of M1, continuing through to Bedford. Then as you say, take a left onto the A428 back to Northampton which is superb, very picturesque in places and a nice mix or roads. I usually then call back at Wollaston's for a coffee before heading off home. It was a similar test ride to that that did it for me too!:D

Good luck with eBay - hope to see you on the GS soon!:thumb

Hi Northants Rob, ta for your reply.
My HD is a '89 softail with loads of trick stuff on such as air ride suspension, big inch S&S motor etc, so there is no way Wollaston will give me what I want for it.
You must know Dave etc over at Northants V-Twin, I called him yesterday and he said he knew a few people that had made the move to the GS's.

Hi Northants Rob, ta for your reply.
My HD is a '89 softail with loads of trick stuff on such as air ride suspension, big inch S&S motor etc, so there is no way Wollaston will give me what I want for it.
You must know Dave etc over at Northants V-Twin, I called him yesterday and he said he knew a few people that had made the move to the GS's.

Sounds cool! No, I don't know Dave - my Softail was still quite new and I was having servicing etc done at Silverstone H-D at Towcester (warranty etc).

Update:
Well my HD didn't sell on ebay, but... it has been sold as a result of ebay.
He has paid me a 10% dep and will collect in a week or so.

And I think I may have found me a GSA on a 07 plate with all the bits, looking forward to 'traction control'!!

Can't wait.... :bounce1

Guess I will have to part with some money and become a 'tosser'.

Why 'tosser'?????

Back
Top Bottom