What's good for rerouting on the fly?

ts2

Reaction score
Now I don't mean re-routing when I take the wrong turning.

I'm just wondering which SatNav is the easiest to set up a complicated route with lots of via points, but while riding you get the option to (easily, preferably while on the fly) delete some points, so that you only do part of the journey?

To explain in more detail. I'd like to be able to set up a route that goes via a set of roads that I've chosen (for whatever reason). If I then ride out and find that road 1 is closed, or looks really busy I'd like to be able to go straight to road 2, rather than have the SatNav constantly take me to the road I'm trying to avoid.

Is there any SatNav that this sort of thing is particularly easy on. I don't mind it being a bit fiddly to set up, just so long as its a piece of cake to delete via points if I decide I'd like to skip them.

Thanks for any info/ideas.

TobyS

Ok, so I'm not catching any fish with the above question. Its a pity I can't change the title.

So then a simpler question (as I assume most people will only know their own Satnav).

Can I delete waypoints on the move with either TOMTOM Rider2, or Garmin's Zumo (500 or 550)?

TobyS

Dunno about the TomTom but yes you can delete waypoints easily on the Zumo 550 though it wouldn't really be necessary.
In the scenario you mention you could just choose a waypoint to go to then pick up your original route from there. HTH

It's possible to delete points on the Tomtom but setting up a route with multiple waypoints on a Tomtom is tortuous compared with Garmin - and of course with Garmin you can do it even easier on the PC with Mapsource.

Tom Tom Routing

Have a look at the following free software "Trace Your Route Anywhere" (do a google search)
This software is fantastic and allows a route to be plotted on a pc using Goodle Maps and Google earth. Very similar to Garmin Mapsource.
its worth downloading even if you don’t use TOMTOM just to play with the routing function and also look at routes on satellite mapping to find features not shown on maps.

HAVE A GO IT’S WORTH IT

Dunno about the TomTom but yes you can delete waypoints easily on the Zumo 550 though it wouldn't really be necessary.
In the scenario you mention you could just choose a waypoint to go to then pick up your original route from there. HTH

That's what I'd do as well.....far simpler and quicker that way, just zoom out, cursor to the waypoint that you want to skip to and route to it, then re-start the original route and it'll carry on to your original destination from there :)

Problem with that method could be the difference between waypoints (favorits that show) and shaping points (or points of no interest or via points).

In the Zumo you can skip, alter, delete, rearrange both of them without much effort. It would take time and some fiddling, But I am sure a Tomtom Rider can do the same thing.

For routeplanning and sharing (!) elaborate routes, mapsource is the only option for me.

That's what I'd do as well.....far simpler and quicker that way, just zoom out, cursor to the waypoint that you want to skip to and route to it, then re-start the original route and it'll carry on to your original destination from there

Aha! Thats what I was looking for! I'd like to be able to set up a tortuous route, but quickly cut corners if i get knackered, but still use some of the roads I'd chosen.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I've only ever really tried tomtom mobile, and thats probably even fiddlier than tomtom rider to set way points, but it is possible. I'm writing, as I got annoyed when it would keep taking me back to the same point as I'd accidentally put a waypoint in the Cat and Fiddle car park, but chose to ride past. Took me ages to work out why it kept wanting me to "Turn around when possible".

If I'm totally honest I don't really need a satnav, but this could be because my last bike killed me if I rode more than 100 miles, hopefully the GS will take me on longer Adventures (poor pun intended).

TobyS

Garmin 2610

I never plot a full route , it always seem too 'rigid' a thing to do.:nenau

I look at the towns or villages, on my map (remember them;)) , that I would like to pass through. I 'find' each of them in sequence on the GPS unit and on the Garmin this then stores them as a list called 'Recent Finds'.

This takes no more than 5 mins to do before I set off so i can normally do it while the bikes warms up.

Literally as I am riding along I can then select ; Find>Recents Finds> then select the next town on the list and then press 'Go to'.

If I want to miss a town out I can. Its possibly not the best way, it works for me though, but then again I am sure I only use 50% of the units functionality.

I have Tomtom on a PDA and a Rider - don't use either as my Garmin is so much better but the pda and Rider software is essentially the same, i.e. not very good. I have recently installed Garmin software on the pda as well - a breath of fresh air.

Re routes, I generally plan a holiday trip I use many sequential short routes with each waypopint named and numbered. As noted above this is more flexible than one long route.All planning done on Mapsource and then routes and waypoints downloaded to the satnav.

When I am following a route it just takes a couple of screen taps to tell the satnav to go to a particular waypoint.

A few times during a trip we have decided on major changes to where we want to go so we get the laptop out of the top box, make the changes in mapsource (often just by dragging the route line to a new location) and download the new route. Quicker and easier than doing it on a little satnav screen.

This is interesting? I've heard TOMTOM runs on linux (or did I dream that?). Are there a lot of programs for TOMTOMs, or Garmins for that matter?

Oh and does nobody set a road as a waypoint? When I played with TOMTOM mobile I never set destinations, just roads I wanted to ride on. Guess I was never going anywhere in particular though.

TobyS

I have a programme on my TT rider called "skip waypoint" that allows you to skip the next waypoint at the press of a button.

I have used it regularly in the car mode but to be honest I have not tried it on the move in the bike cradle.

It is free from the following

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/skipwaypoint.php?lang=uk

Not bothered about Skip Waypoint but some of the other Tomtom utilities on that site are definately worth looking at.

Back
Top Bottom