► Don't they crash well!

John Armstrong

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Probably near Williams this morning :eek:

Been pdi'd and on a test ride with Ben one of their techies when the F650 twin met a car. Bent wheel and forks and cracked headstock. Him, broken collar bone, some in the hand and worried about his stomach area.

Get well soon Ben!

A prize is due.....

Isn't there a pool running for the first smashed F800GS?
This could be it.:bow:bow:bow

Timpo.

Bloody Hell Andres.........:eek::eek::eek:

i said that to "our kid" the first time i clapped eyes on one......

"bloody hell! these are going to be really really fragile in even the most minor off!"

"most unsuitable for off-roading"

tiss what i said.........

honest i did!

how much

OMG - its got a built in crumple zone. Looks like the screen is attached to the beak better than the beak is attached to the bike!
Was this the BMW off-road school ?

Someone got that wrong then :(

Mind you, I recon it looks better without all the gubbins at the front. More roughty toughty sort of like.

'twas at the 'Off Road' school on Wednesday. First course of the year and brand spanking new bikes.

We were being taught slow 'controlled' hill decents and the poor guy on the 800 decided that slow meant 'hit a bump and get a death grip on a wide open throttle'.

I've never seen such a horrific looking crash. He went flat out half way down the hill, went sideways and was then launched through the air, litterally flying over the tops of several very large boulders and ended up landing in some soft marshy bracken. Fortunatly he was only bruised and winded - it really should have been an awful lot worse :eek:

The bike, however, hit every boulder that he missed as it cartwheeled down the hillside after him. The front end was ripped clean off and the radiator ripped from it's mountings.
It still fired up first press of the button though :thumb2

Andres

Attachments

• sml.jpg
    sml.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,376
Just shows how stupid the idea of learning to offroad on anything bigger than a 450 really is :blast
If you can at least take some of the weight out the equation, you've got more chance of controlling the thing.

Just shows how stupid the idea of learning to offroad on anything bigger than a 450 really is :blast
If you can at least take some of the weight out the equation, you've got more chance of controlling the thing.

Dunno about that... I found the 1200 to be a real lady for slow speed offroad use...

Did offroad 1 on it and never dropped it after the pick-up lessons... Followed Fanum all over Morocco on mine and never dropped it. Tried an X-challenge on the course and really liked the 1200...

I agree that here are better bikes for 'rip the world' offroad riding... but if learning low speed control is the goal... (and you aren't prone to freaking out =)... the 1200 is a nice bike to do it on...

Al...

A 1200 just won't do the majority of stuff that a bike 50+ kgs lighter will, and I'm not talking about ripping up the world :)
A novice could do tame, flat-ish tracks on the bigger GS's but they will quickly struggle on significant mud, rocks, slopes. That's fairly self-evident I would have thought ?

I thought I'd given my (hired) 800 a battering, this fella has done a fine job! Hope he got home ok on his big scoot.:beerjug:

I liked the 800 off road, throttle was a bit snatchy though. That's why I was so useless.:augie

Very sad........

We don't even have the bikes here and they're wrecking them !!

I gotta agree about the bike size comment for learners. Ideally, you shouldn't learn on anything bigger than a 400cc bike. I've been an MSF instructor for years and I've seen people in a panic situation do things on 150 and 250cc bikes that I would have thought impossible.

Back
Top Bottom