Garmin for car - is hands free any good?

squid

Reaction score
Need a Satnav for the car. I see they do the new wide screen 200 and 250 things. I'd rather keep the price down but wonder if the extra for one with mobile phone hands free is worth it?

If it's just for the Bluetooth, you'd be as well paying £12.00 in tesco for one that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I bought one of those for SWMBO's Fabia recently and it works quite well. It comes complete with a mic which you can either attach to your clothes or place somewhere on the car.

I also recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 770. Without an external mic., the sound quality wasn't quite up to the other Bluetooth kit. However, when it was 2 days old, the whole system crashed. I managed to get unlock codes and recover the maps but the Bluetooth has never worked since, in spite of trying almost everything that Garmin Support has suggested. I still have to try the hard reset, though....:nenau

As ever...YMMV

If it's just for the Bluetooth, you'd be as well paying £12.00 in tesco for one that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I bought one of those for SWMBO's Fabia recently and it works quite well. It comes complete with a mic which you can either attach to your clothes or place somewhere on the car.

I also recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 770. Without an external mic., the sound quality wasn't quite up to the other Bluetooth kit. However, when it was 2 days old, the whole system crashed. I managed to get unlock codes and recover the maps but the Bluetooth has never worked since, in spite of trying almost everything that Garmin Support has suggested. I still have to try the hard reset, though....:nenau

As ever...YMMV

Thanks for the info

The non hands free Nuvi seem better value but I was considering one with a hands free set as the cig socket is in a silly place right next to the gear lever and handbrake. I'd have to rig up an ext and double socket thing to plug two items in.

If it was my car I'd wire it propery but its on 3 months hire. The stereo is supposed to be bluetooth according to the handbook but doesn't respond. I might ask about that on another thread before deciding:thumb

Back
Top Bottom