Review of rekluse clutch

BigAlMacMac

Reaction score
For those with an non GS off road bike...

I have recently got into offroading and plan to do Enduros and Hare and Hound events, but not seriously as neither my ability or fitness is up to much.

I ride a KTM 200 EXC which is an excellent, suitably powerful and small bike to chuck around without too much fear of being damaged. However, in my practice and more so in my first couple of events I found I was stalling the bike a lot and suffered severe fore arm pump on my clutch hand.

I did some googling and found recommendations of fitting a Rekluse automatic clutch. I had this done by the excellent chaps at Triple D racing in Kendal.

What is it?
-its a centrifugal pressure plate that engages the clutch plates when the engine spins up to speed and disengages when engine not spinning.
-it effectively manages to perfectly slip the clutch whenever you need it.

Good points
-its fantastic!
-no more rear wheel spinning in mud due to to much power in too low a gear, just go up a gear more than normal and the clutch slips perfectly
-no more stabbing the power or cutting it by poor clutch control. Perfect control every time
-much better traction
-almost impossible to stall, so no continual kick starting or getting stuck in the main riding line and trying to get the bike going again
-unbelievable slow bike control
-you can lock the back wheel and not stall the bike.
-frees up the clutch space on your handle bar to fit a left hand rear brake.

Down points
-£300 fitted
-loss of engine braking at the lowest engine speeds but apparently techinique can fix this.

Overall an unbelievable bit of kit.
-

I
So no more using the clutch lever when shift?

If that was all then it would not be that useful.

When off roading you often have to feather or slip the clutch to gain traction, control speed or keep the bike in the right powerband for smaller engines. Also I found I stalled a lot in tight technical terrain or locked the back wheel.

The Rekluse slips the clutch perfectly and you can't stall the bike.

Brilliant really

i agree as my mate is pete heston one half of rekluse
he has raced
supermoto
hare and hound
with the rekluse fittted and got some good results{rob is better though}
i rode hes crf250 and its mad at first then you for get about not having lever
if you need any tips or advice speak to
Rob Mobile 0781 868 3434
Pete Mobile 0797 936 0955
Fax 01204 435430
there will be happy to help

Hi rudiemoto,

are you saying you mate owns half of Rekluse? Not sure I understood.

I was going to ask for tips on managing engine breaking downhill which is the only downside but I believe it is a matter of getting the technique right

Cheers

I've had a short ride on an X Challange fitted with one and was impressed.... The owner has a lot of exsperiance with them on both the BMW and 640KTMs over high mileages and swears by them

As Rudie suggested speak to Rob or Pete at Rekluse, their the two halves of Rekluse in the UK.
Robs been a wealth of knowledge and help with fitting the two I have in my Husabergs.

They've made some climbs in the Dales a LOT easier.

I seem to remember on the quad training course I did a few years ago they advised giving it a bit of throttle on down hills to keep the revs up as this engages the centrifugal clutch and gives some engine breaking (most agricultural quads have centrifugal clutches as standard) - fine on a chuffing 450cc four strike quad lump but might be a bit scary on a stroker enduro lump!

Back
Top Bottom