Col De L'Iseran

JIm

Reaction score
Hi,
What are the chances of the D902, Col De L'Iseran pass been open in mid-May?
Thanks,
Jim

As the highest paved road in Europe, quite thin to none.

It was shut in early June a couple of years ago.

The snow left doesn't have a huge effect on the dates. The French just shut it from late October (or whenever) to say, June 10th (or whenever) every year. They keep the road shut after much of the snow has gone to get on with maintenance.

The local tourist office will tell you.

Hi,
What are the chances of the D902, Col De L'Iseran pass been open in mid-May?
Thanks,
Jim
Absolutely bugger all - the rule seems to be that if the snow hasn't gone by the first week of June , they will clear the road

I tried to get up the Grimsel mid May, and it is a low pass at around 2k metres. It was block from about 1800m up ...

Ok,
Thanks for that, I was up there eight years ago in mid-June and there were snow drifts high up so it is to be expected I supppose.
I will have to ponder other routes.
Jim

2 hope's, one of them's Bob.Not in mid may.There's been lots of snow in the Alps this spring, so I rekon the passes will be even later opening.:nenau

Reporting live from Tignes - a couple of miles down the road from the Col d'Iseran and can report that there is more snow than I have ever seen at this time of year. That would suggest that it will not be open any time soon!

As the highest paved road in Europe, quite thin to none.

Ahem

The Col de la Bonnette is 32m higher at 2802m (although they cheated by adding a pointless loop to get above Iseran)

Apparently the Almerians claim that they have a higher road in the Sierra Nevada. The Pico de Valeta, although this may now be closed to the public.

Reporting live from Tignes - a couple of miles down the road from the Col d'Iseran and can report that there is more snow than I have ever seen at this time of year. That would suggest that it will not be open any time soon!

And it has been dumping snow all morning! Global warming eh?

Back
Top Bottom