Sweden? Late May!

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
We're hoping to have a few days in Sweden around the Arctic Circle in late May/early June.

Anyone have any recommendations, things to do and see etc. We were thinking of heading over to the Hoga Kusten(High Coast) then back over to Fjord Norway.

I've been in Northern Sweden a couple of times but only for a few kms to pick up the obligatory pannier sticker etc.

ps. I quite like IKEA!

Thanks in advance

FP.

We're hoping to have a few days in Sweden around the Arctic Circle in late May/early June.

Anyone have any recommendations, things to do and see etc. We were thinking of heading over to the Hoga Kusten(High Coast) then back over to Fjord Norway.

I've been in Northern Sweden a couple of times but only for a few kms to pick up the obligatory pannier sticker etc.

ps. I quite like IKEA!

Thanks in advance

FP.

Pack some woolies...

How many days?

are you going to spend?Wher will you enter Sweden\Norway.
The Polar Cirkle is not "around the corner" If you enter via Denmark,you will need 2 long days before you pass the PC.
What are you looking for,cant give you any advice other than get on the road number 45 from north of Karlstad,all the way to Gallajavri,or go to Gjevle North of Stocholm and follow the E4 all the way to Finland
Both roads are "boring" not much to see apart from tarmac and trees.
No twisting roads or nice scenery.
Might be some snow up north,but roades are probably ok.
Will give more advice if you are more specific on what you want.
cheers
Fishburger

Sweden....!

Hi Fishburger,

I've ridden and driven the E6 in Norway all the way up from the Arctic Circle up to the Nordkapp twice in late May(2003 and again 2007) then on to the Russian border at Kirkenes last year in late May but in a Landrover Defender.

That's a lot of driving on the E6 and now we'd like to spend some time over the border in Sweden for a change!

It all depends on the weather of course and how late the spring is, last year the Nordkapp center just opened the day we got there and a lot of the campsites were still closed, especially the closer we got to the Russian border. The weather was pretty cold aswell but it didn't rain or snow too much. The worst weather was at the A/C where it was snowing a fair bit which was ok in the Landrover but not good if we'd had the bikes.....!

We have about twelve days from leaving the ferry at Haugesund, we used Stavanger last year and both Haugesund and Bergen before that.....! !t usually takes us three days to reach the A/C and arrive at the Nordkapp later on the fourth day but this time we'd like to take it easy.

It's Mrs Ps first trip on her own bike(F650GS) and she'd like to ride up to the A/C in maybe four days or so but if the weathers not so good then we could just have a 'holiday' in the Fjords and just relax and enjoy the scenery rather than eating up the miles.......!

There is so much to see in the Fjords and the roads are amazing aswell but there is just something about heading up into 'Lappland' that appeals to me, it's just different to the south which somehow seems softer and warmer. The north is just so empty and the distances are vast.....!

I guess we'll just see how we feel on the road when we get there and then decide where to go but i would like to at least visit Sweden rather than driving past it this time.

Thanks FP.

Sweden

as I stated before is straight roads,lot of trees,some smal towns,and you might see some lakes in between.
The E45 or E4 is mostely used by norweigan for fast transport to the northern part off Norway.Higher speed limit in Sweden.
The P\C senter in Sweden on E45\E10 is a tent beside the road thats it.
If you go this way I recomend the E45 from Karlstad (sweden)to Storuman,then the E12 from Storumann to Mo i Rana this road is called the Blue road because of all the lakes along the road.
Then from Mo i Rana to Bodø ,passing the P\C just north of Mo I Rana.
From Bodø continue down The road 17,all the way to Steinkjer wher you will hit the E6 north of Trondheim.
From Trondheim continue south on the E6 to Dombås,the head west on the
E136 to Åndalsnes then follow the road 63to\Trollstigen\Geiranger\Stryn\Byrkjelo\then on to the E39 to Førde all the way to Voss\Bergen\Haugesund.
Not to put you off but there is still very much snow in the mountains this year so dont know if all the mountain passes will be open end of May,you can call number 175 ,to get the latest updates on the mountain passes in english\or ask the locals.
The road 17 from Bodø going south is very nice and have some 6-7 short ferry crossing,it is actually The Road to take if you want a scenic road with glaciers\fjords i.e.
If you choose to go east from Haugesund to Oslo and Karlstad and get on the E45 send me a pm,to get my phone number I will try to assist you if you need anything.

Sweden!

Hi Fishburger,

Thanks for the excellent advice on local roads etc, it's greatly appreciated! I did wonder if it was a late spring this year as it's late here on our farm in Scotland.

Am I getting the impression that Sweden may be boring after the fantastic and dramatic scenery that Norway has to offer!:D

I've never been to Oslo but did visit the Vemork Hydro plant and museum last year, it was after 4pm though and the museum was closed and I'd like to visit it again when it's open this time....!

Maybe we'll spend our vacation in Norway after all.........! :thumb2

Thanks FP.

On the news

today,road workers trying to open some mountain passes,snow drift on the side of the road 15m -45 feet :eek:
Will take long time to clear,but prognoses is mid\end of May.
My guess is that we will have snow on the side of the roads until july,clear and dry roads but still a lot of snow in mid summer.
Might make some nice exotic pictures:D

Hi Farmer Palmer!

If you see an blue, old & homemade sidecar, pulled by a BMW boxer; that is me! :clap
I'm going to the meeting for sidecars (and all bikes) at Tistel Camping in Vik in Sogn 23-25 May.
(Hopefully I'm there there 22/05.)

If you go to Vik, then do not forget Stalheimskleivene (Stalheim Hotell) and Gaularfjell (Balestrand).
Vik has a stavechurch (stavkirke), if you like those; Hopperstad.
If it rains; -the driest spot in that area are Lærdal, Vindedalen Camping.

-I hope to meet you at Vik in Sogn! :thumb2

:) Liv.

Norway & Sweden!

Hi Farmer Palmer!

If you see an blue, old & homemade sidecar, pulled by a BMW boxer; that is me! :clap
I'm going to the meeting for sidecars (and all bikes) at Tistel Camping in Vik in Sogn 23-25 May.
(Hopefully I'm there there 22/05.)

If you go to Vik, then do not forget Stalheimskleivene (Stalheim Hotell) and Gaularfjell (Balestrand).
Vik has a stavechurch (stavkirke), if you like those; Hopperstad.
If it rains; -the driest spot in that area are Lærdal, Vindedalen Camping.

-I hope to meet you at Vik in Sogn! :thumb2

:) Liv.

Hi Liv,

We're arriving on the 25th at Haugesund but not untill after 6pm which is a shame.......!!

Have a great weekend though!

FP. & Mrs P.

Sweden!

The High Coast is lovely. I have spent the summers there since I was a kid. Here You find more information about The High Coast: http://www.highcoast.net/english/eng.html, http://www.hogakusten.com, http://www.destinationhighcoast.com/

I hope You get a nice holiday.

(the bugs really don't wake up before mid June, so don't worry about them)

Hi lawe,

Thanks for the High Coast info, we're looking forward to checking it out on the run down from visiting Skelleftea.

Are there any other places or food or drink etc that you would recommend?

Our midges are much the same, I wonder who's bites are worse......!

Thanks FP. & Mrs P.

High Coast

Hi!
When you drive trough the "high coast", i suggest you choose the smaller roads that runs parallel to the E4.
The E4 is incredibly boring, you will see more scenery on the smaller roads.

If you see a roadside "diner" in the same area as the vega-bridge with a trabant as advertisement (old small east german car), stop and try the "lövbiff" with potato wedges. It´s famous!

//Laplander

High coast!

Hi!
When you drive trough the "high coast", i suggest you choose the smaller roads that runs parallel to the E4.
The E4 is incredibly boring, you will see more scenery on the smaller roads.

If you see a roadside "diner" in the same area as the vega-bridge with a trabant as advertisement (old small east german car), stop and try the "lövbiff" with potato wedges. It´s famous!

//Laplander

Hi Fly,

I'll look forward to trying the 'Lovbif' and riding down the smaller roads off the main highway.

Thanks FP.

Are there any other places or food or drink etc that you would recommend?

I suggest You start at Skule Naturum nearby E4 (http://www.skulenaturum.se/247.html). There You'll find a lot of information about the area. After that You drive down to Ullånger (~30km) and turn left to get out to Nordingrå. There You'll find a LOT of lovely roads and scenery.

Do not miss Bönhamn and Café Mannaminne in Nordingrå (http://www.mannaminne.se). At Mannaminne I suggest You stop for a meal. That's an extraordinary place. Just look at the map (http://www.mannaminne.se/omradeskarta.html) over the place that this enthusiast has built over the two last decades... I just hope they are opened in late May. There's a risk that they do not open until the 1:st of June.

Late May will be a bit cold. The peak season in this area is July/August, but Nordingrå is a must see when You go north in Sweden.

If You like to I can send You a nice Garmin route through the area by email. Just send me an email on lars@lmw.se

Hope You'll have a nice time.

Sweden!

I suggest You start at Skule Naturum nearby E4 (http://www.skulenaturum.se/247.html). There You'll find a lot of information about the area. After that You drive down to Ullånger (~30km) and turn left to get out to Nordingrå. There You'll find a LOT of lovely roads and scenery.

Do not miss Bönhamn and Café Mannaminne in Nordingrå (http://www.mannaminne.se). At Mannaminne I suggest You stop for a meal. That's an extraordinary place. Just look at the map (http://www.mannaminne.se/omradeskarta.html) over the place that this enthusiast has built over the two last decades... I just hope they are opened in late May. There's a risk that they do not open until the 1:st of June.

Late May will be a bit cold. The peak season in this area is July/August, but Nordingrå is a must see when You go north in Sweden.

If You like to I can send You a nice Garmin route through the area by email. Just send me an email on lars@lmw.se

Hope You'll have a nice time.

Thanks lawe

Great information about Sweden, we leave on Saturday 24th and hope to reach the Arctic Circle on or around the 29th May weather permitting!:thumb

FP. & Mrs P.

first night in Norway

I have a sugestion for you, mail me: storksen (at) chello.no.

cheers

Norway...!

Hi TST,

I've just sent you an email...............I really should renew my subscription, I forgot to do it with being extra busy on the farm this spring and now descovered i've lost my PM facility!:blast

Cheers FP & Mrs P.

Back
Top Bottom