Bike dock: potential materials and low temperature issue?

Voyager61

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this: I left my bike out for a couple of nights a couple of weeks ago. She got a covering of snow, though the TomTom dock is protected by the windshield ...

Anyhow, I noticed when mounting my TomTom to the dock that the plastic around the hinges of the lock had splinterd, and on one side had flaked off, exposing the metal hinge of the lock. On removing the dock I now see that wherever there is a metal component (hinge, metal thread for mount retaining screws ...) that the plastic has gone sort of white, flaky and has fractured. Some bits of plastic have fallen off. It feels sort of brittle.

I should stress that this is not a matter of over-tightening the mounting screws or anything like that. The plastic around hinges has been affected in exactly the same way.

TomTom are going to replace the dock foc. Talking to a service rep today I wanted to be sure to raise the possibility that there may be a materials specification issue here, that their quality control people should look into.

So that's my experience and what I have done about it. But ... but ... has anyone else here had a similar problem?

Cheers

Paul (an otherwise very happy TomTom owner)

it's happened again

I've had the replacement bike dock for a few weeks now and the plastic on the face of the dock, around the hinges, has cracked.

It just looks too thin to me.

Anyone else had a similar fault?

Err .. is it TT Rider ver 1 or TT Rider ver 2 :nenau as there are differences.

My guess from what you describe with cracked screw pillars .. its TT Rider ver 1 and the original which was bemoaned about, just do search this forum to read more.

TomTom are shipping me a 'slightly' different dock ... the operator suggested the design is different ... I'll let you know what's-what when I receive it.

Cheers

Paul

Mmmm! TomTom have decided the problem isn't covered by the warranty this time ... they want 50 euros ... so I wrote:

I undestand that the fault on the dock is not covered by warranty.

Since the fault is identical to the one that occurred on the previous dock (plastic fracturing around the hinges) I am unable to understand how you came to this conclusion.

Please provide a full technical assessment of the fault, indicating exactly why it has occurred and why it is not covered by the warranty.

Should I have bought a Zumo? It's a shame I end up thinking like this, because it's basically a really good product ... I really like the information display and the 3D mapping

TomTom are sending something to me in the post ... not sure what ... rather hoping it is a dock of improved design ...

New bike dock: different spring

TomTom have sent a replacement dock after all. It's the same apart from the leaver/plate for releasing the GPS from dock feels as if the spring is weaker.

I guess this will make it easier to operate ... I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom