gps newbie ,be gentle

jackassdave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
as a complete duffer with a pc ,i dont understand a lot of the technical stuff, can somebody reccomend a gps for an idiot like me please , just ed looked at a few links on here and i wouldnt even mind a refurbed , or even one from this site that somebody is selling , do they all have colour screens? and do you hav e to load a route ,say through france on a pc ,or do they work like a car . sorry for the basic questions but i really dont know a lot , i like the look of the garmin quest 11 and thegarmin map278

All the motorcycle GPS units can be used exactly as in a car e.g. "take me straight to place X" or even make up a simple route with intermediate towns.
This will be perfect if you do continental touring in a group or you are still very comfortable using maps. Nothing wrong with this.
The advantage of the motorcycle GPS, besides being waterproof, is that one can make up very detailed routes on the PC, picking out the tiniest roads and tracks, and then download them to the GPS. This is very useful if one is travellling alone or leading a group.
Tell us what you hope to do with the GPS, buy something that suits your pocket and then ask someone local to show you the ropes.

If you want a simple Bike GPS, I’d recommend the Garmin Zumo it was designed to be easy to use, and you can use it in the car if you buy the Zumo 550 kit as it come with a car mount.

Later on you might get interested in making routes on the PC, or sharing routes with others, the Zumo comes with PC mapping, the Tomtom Rider doesn’t.

Another thing to consider when buying is customer support, Garmin generally have an excellent reputation, like replacing my 3 year old and very poorly 276c with a reconditioned unit for £105 :thumb Tomtom just doesn’t have the same product support by any means.

Back
Top Bottom