new updated tomtom rider

Just done this!

anyone running version 2 tomtom home be wary, my 'update' would not load and this in turn crashed the version 2 making tomtom home not work.....

Long story short, everything has to be deleted and tomtom add a little extra in the system tray - ( I did a google search on how to remove from the system tray) - this still did not work, after a couple of system restores and registry clear up the problem fixes and the file can be removed.

So, if you do it be prepared for it to crash mid way, then find everything tomtom related on your computer and delete - anything that would not go I'd google (lots and lots of info found!) then upload from tomtom website version 1, once the tomtom is connected it informs you that there is an update.

This installed straight away removing version 1...

computers :blast:blast

Anyway, the update is excellent, mapshare, all sorts of extras, itinery recording (not played with it yet) downloadable 'pointer' logos - (there are 2 r1200gs's) :blast no 1150's so I've ended up with ecto 1 out of ghostbusters
Lots of sports bikes though

Emergency features with full first aid instructions for the untrained, lots more stuff to play with and some power save features not seen before.

Not sure if the add on off road trip computer thingy works on it yet.

All in all much better set up, mr tomtom must have heard me trying to convince the long haired general that I needed a Zumo for the upcoming road trip!! :beer::beer:

Now the power connector fault has been fixed (bodged..) I think this has now become a much more reliable unit.

Certainly saves money for people thinking about an upgrade to v2 or zumo! :beer::beer:

Now the power connector fault has been fixed (bodged..) I think this has now become a much more reliable unit.

Certainly saves money for people thinking about an upgrade to v2 or zumo! :beer::beer:
What did you do to fix/bodge the power connector?
I'm thinking of an upgrade just now.

real blue peter job....

without melting some of the outer casing with the gas soldering torch's exhaust vent :augie I added solder to the the connector 'dots'
Wont win any soldering prizes but it works!

tomtombodge.jpg

Also added 2 bits of electrical tape to the top of the touratech bracket just to push the rider down a fraction more and it works like a treat! every time its connected straight away.

Hope this helps!

Was so close to being binned too! :beer::beer:

Anyway, the update is excellent, mapshare, all sorts of extras, itinery recording (not played with it yet) downloadable 'pointer' logos - (there are 2 r1200gs's) :blast no 1150's so I've ended up with ecto 1 out of ghostbusters
Lots of sports bikes though

Emergency features with full first aid instructions for the untrained, lots more stuff to play with and some power save features not seen before.

Not sure if the add on off road trip computer thingy works on it yet.

Sidpick,

If you are using any off the add-ins by the guy called Rousillat, like Offroad, Skipwaypoint, Tripmaster then I'm afraid you'll find they don't work with the version 7 of the TomTom operating system and the Rider 1. The TomTom trip recorder is so basic as to be useless (I can work out myself total distance travelled and how long it took etc). I found it so frustrating without the add-ins that I deleted the upgrade to the TomTom software, and went back to the previous version.

If you really want to save the cash, have a look at http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk
and you'll get a far more versatile Rider 1.

:beer:

Iain

Tripmaster does work on the updated software on a V2 but I can only get at it by running a custom menu file, it doesn't seem to be picking it up in the default menus. Of course as I don't know the names of the new items they'e added in with the update I can't run them off a custom menu...D'Oh

Yes, the 'trip log' is pretty pants! I successfully loaded the tripmaster stuff only to find, as you say, it not being present on the menu.

Hopefully the computer boffins will crack this in no time!

Still, works fine with tyre and thats what I use most of the time!

550 prices will come down one day!

:beer::beer:

Good points outweighed by bad

I updated the firmware to version 7.x & it seemed great - Better menus, ability to switch to night colours without having to stop (that was a REALLY glaring omission before) and I now have a Panzer tank instead of an arrow:augie

BUT, and it's a big one, it now only connects to my bluetooth dongle about half the time and even then gives me sound half of those times. Even worse it keeps connecting & unconnecting from my phone every couple of minutes & if I make or receive a call I can't hear anything.

This has therefore rendered it pretty damn useless. I have spent a long time fiddling with the settings, esets etc and am just about to throw it in the bin!

Any sugestions:nenau

(P.S. Autocom SuperPro AVi + iPhone)

there's a large PR bash on Tuesday, so expect the usual durge of press spread afterwards.. so why :nenau do these high paid PR types :guitarist only find out that bikes n' scoots are different 48 hours before their 'kick-off' :blast it seems if they had a spanner or screwdriver in their hands they'd be dangerous, rumour is one tosser is on hand to sort it. Fitting it onto a Aprilia Habana will be fun, but getting up Euston Tower, even better:augie

Ants,
After updating to the latest ver of software remove your phone from the TTR Reset the TTR to factory settings then go back and pair up your Autocom again and then your phone.
This should now have all working as it should.
Had a similar problem but a ok after the above carried out

MD

The only issue I have with the updated firmware (now I've got used to the revised menus) is the trip stats. The maximum speed reads very low i.e. about 50mph low. Which is probably a good thing as it still shows 112mph as opposed to 177 on my Garmin 2610 :augie

Thanks Martin

Will do as you suggest. Had hoped to avoid this as I will lose all my favourites etc (because in typical TomTom fashion, every time I try to back up my TomTom to the computer the TomTom Home application crashes), but I guess there's no choice.

Will let you know if this sorts the problem.

ANTS,

Rather than use TT Home for doing the backup (its restore capability is rubbish), just look for the Rider in Windows Explorer, and use Explorer to make a copy of the Rider SD card. Doing that will enable you to put back all your favourites, custom POIs etc.

:beerjug:

Iain

Overall, I think a great improvement - especially the "find help" (although I hope I don't need it!!).
New version of the TT software now successfully connects with a Samsung X820 phone that wouldn't connect before - bluetooth appears much better sorted.

Thanks for the advice Iain

I use a Mac, but I can apply the same principles of simply making a copy of the SD card on my hard drive. This will have to be in future now as I wiped everything last night:(

Oh well - I'll just have to ride to the location of all my favourites and put them back in, just to make sure their position is REALLY accurate:D

Not happy...

Ian - did as you suggested and reset factory settings, re-paired phone and Autocom but still have the same problem. I can use the TomTom to call and it connects but neither I nor the recipient can hear anything. Same goes if someone calls me - comes up on screen, auto-answers, but then call then disappears from screen although phone says still connected?

Anyone else had same?

One of the main reasons I got a TomTom was so I could take calls whilst riding which is important for work so this is a downer to say the least:mad:

Hi Ants,
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.As i mentioned in my earlier reply i had the same problem as you after the update but after resetting the TTR then re-pairing everthing it was and still all working fine.
Cannot offer anymore help im afraid:confused:

MD

Ian - did as you suggested and reset factory settings, re-paired phone and Autocom but still have the same problem. I can use the TomTom to call and it connects but neither I nor the recipient can hear anything. Same goes if someone calls me - comes up on screen, auto-answers, but then call then disappears from screen although phone says still connected?

Anyone else had same?

One of the main reasons I got a TomTom was so I could take calls whilst riding which is important for work so this is a downer to say the least:mad:

I have the exact same problem (the reason I searched and found this thread)
It's doing my head in!

Right - been on to TomTom customer support via e-mail. Their reply is:

This phone is not listed as being Rider compatible/supported ( for any version of the OS )

At TomTom we strive to make our products compatible with as many devices and platforms as possible.
However, connectivity protocols are dictated by the technology markets, not by TomTom,
so we are at the mercy of the fact that there is not a standard set of connectivity protocols that
covers all platforms and devices. We therefore choose to use the most commonly supported connectivity
protocols (Bluetooth 1.1 and DUN) in order to support as many devices as we possibly can.

Due to this lack of a single generic set of connectivity standards, it is unfortunately not possible for
us to support all devices.

Our testing department is constantly testing all new devices that are released on the market,
and when necessary we make changes to our software to further improve the compatibility of our products.

In future we will continue to expand our compatibility lists, and will strive to ensure that our products
support as many devices as possible

Cosmic! The older software works with the iPhone, the new one doesn't - what genius came up with that?:blast

Such a shame because 7.53 has many more useful functions than 6.581 which I had before. I've now just connected my phone direct to the Autocom via Bluetooth which answers incoming calls fine, but means I've lost all the audio from my TomTom and have to stop and take the phone out of my pocket to make calls.

Maybe the next version of the iPhone will have built in GPS and I can use this as a sat-nav, completely doing away with the TomTom - here's hoping!

Cosmic! The older software works with the iPhone, the new one doesn't - what genius came up with that?:blast

Maybe the older software used a more generic bluetooth stack, or maybe they had tried to make it compatible with lots of phones at the risk of stability and decided to 'throttle back' a bit and not offer connections to one brand of phone if it couldn't return 100% reliability. Just thinking out loud ...

Maybe the next version of the iPhone will have built in GPS and I can use this as a sat-nav, completely doing away with the TomTom - here's hoping!

Good luck with mounting, vibration damping, and waterproofing! I've got a HP iPaq with wifi / bluetooth / GPS and it had occurred to me to clobber that to the bike instead of forking out more money for another Tomtom, but the various hurdles to overcome (including screen brightness - or lack thereof) put me off that idea for good.

On the subject of software, I haven't even got TT Home installed on my computer. Tried it, but it seemed too simple to justify the amount of system resources it consumed, so off it went. I use Windows Explorer to browse the UMS compliant Tomtom as another hard disk, and to transfer route files created with Tyre to the ITN folder. Don't fix what ain't broken. :)

Mup.

Back
Top Bottom