Slightly concerned . . .

IluvmyGS

Reaction score
Hubby & I are really looking forward to the weekend, and preparing the GPS for the pending trip from Ipswich (230 miles) . . . quite a long pootle for me (my longest road trip to date) nothing to a lot of you guys, but will be an achievement for me all the same.

Anyway, the GPS couldn't establish the address, so hubby went on the net . . . .then found some reviews of Baskerville Hall . . . . now we're not expecting standards of the Hilton etc BUT, some of the reviews aren't too complimentary about the place :eek
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...rville_Hall_Hotel-Hay_on_Wye_Powys_Wales.html

After a long ol ride on Friday, we're hoping we're not going to be faced with a dirty room, and a bed which sinks to the floor when we lie on it . . . nasty stains on the sheets, or the remains of previous guests Richard III in or around the loo!! :mmmm . . . should I be bringing some marigolds, and a bottle of Cif and some Detol with me???

Anyone here stayed at Baskerville Hall before? and is it really as bad as some people make out? :nenau

We don't want to be put off as we've been looking forward to meeting everyone :thumb2

What do you think??

Cheers

Shirl

PS I know some of you may suggest camping, but for medical reasons, we can't do that.

6 good reviews:guitarist, 4 not so:thedummy.

Take an extra bottle of Lambrusco and you'll be fine. :thumb Marigolds may give people the wrong idea:ymca

No idea what it's like now but it won't be any better by the time we've finished using and abusing it :beerjug:

I've booked a room. But i'm still taking my tent to put up inside it. You can never be too sure. :augie

As most on here always pipe up with 'I can recommend the Formule 1 on the edge of town' when you ask for somewhere 'nice' to stay in XYZ,I should imagine this'll be like a palace,in comparison to what most think is acceptable.

:augie

The camping sounds like agood choice now. Or have I just guaranteed rain?!

The bad reviews are very frank and accurate from my recollections of my last visit for a GS do @ Baskerville Hall 3-4 years ago.

It is quirky and maybe quaint/weird and I wouldn't ever use the pool, well maybe only for washing the bike

Nightclub is interesting when 4 coachloads of Welsh hillbillies arrive from 10pm onwards every Sat night............cue the banjo's and wait for the girlie fighting between 2-3am

I've booked the bunkhouse again and i'm not expecting any better this time

But what will make the event great will be everybody from this site, the rides will be great and so will the craic

Most people had a great time last time and I had no hesitation in booking again for 2008, because it is a great location and the riding arena is something unikely to be bettered in the UK

It will be a great 2 days of your life, unless you're a snob

As Steptoe says bring your own tent and/or sleeping bag.......................if you're worried

Never been to this hotel, but it was a Hotel at a GS meet (Langollen 2001) that led to my wife buying a tent. We have had some wonderful camping holidays since (both on the bike, and with the kids in a car), so look at it positively. It may not be a great experience, but it might lead to great experiences in the future. ;)

The bad reviews are very frank and accurate from my recollections of my last visit for a GS do @ Baskerville Hall 3-4 years ago.

But what will make the event great will be everybody from this site, the rides will be great and so will the craic

Most people had a great time last time and I had no hesitation in booking again for 2008, because it is a great location and the riding arena is something unikely to be bettered in the UK

It will be a great 2 days of your life, unless you're a snob

As Steptoe says bring your own tent and/or sleeping bag.......................if you're worried

I'm not bothered about the weird/quirky bit . . . .just as long as the bed and the bathroom are clean!:eek:

I know it's going to be fab meeting everyone, and that part I'm really looking forward to :thumb

I have no doubts the rideout will have breathtaking views either :D . . . .and no, I'm not a snob . . . . . . far from it!!!;)

Shirl

I'm not bothered about the weird/quirky bit . . . .just as long as the bed and the bathroom are clean!:eek:

I know it's going to be fab meeting everyone, and that part I'm really looking forward to :thumb

I have no doubts the rideout will have breathtaking views either :D . . . .and no, I'm not a snob . . . . . . far from it!!!;)

Shirl

You'll be fine as long as you overlook the shabbyness.................it has the look of a Blackpool B&B.

Some friends moved room 3 times before they were satisfied last time we were there

My advice is ..........get there early (leave Ipswich @ 6am) and bag the best room, once you've seen all they got to offer

Leave it too late and you'll have to take 'pot luck' and maybe disappointed

Hmmm, glad I'm off to the Pyrenees:augie

Is that the 'in room' entertainment on the bedside table:eek:

Attachments

• styled-by-jason-king.jpg
    styled-by-jason-king.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 230
  • just-tatty.jpg
    just-tatty.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 220
  • mulberry-bathroom.jpg
    mulberry-bathroom.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 210
Hmmm, glad I'm off to the Pyrenees:augie

Is that the 'in room' entertainment on the bedside table:eek:

LOL I saw these pictures, but didn't notice that 'thing' on the bedside table!!! :augie . . . . I'm sure it's not what we think it is . . . . . .is it????? :eek: lol

Shirl

LOL I saw these pictures, but didn't notice that 'thing' on the bedside table!!! :augie . . . . I'm sure it's not what we think it is . . . . . .is it????? :eek: lol

Shirl

If it is..........................you'll be in for a good time:thumb2:augie:bounce1

Heh You should do Endurohimalaya 6 to a room 2 in a bed no water /electricity 2 squat toilets facing each other but .............the most lethal moonshine and top quality marujana Grows at the side of the road!!! Did we sleep well ? Oh Heh!!!:thumb www.endurohimalaya.com

Attachments

• 158628805-M.jpg
    158628805-M.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 114

Back
Top Bottom