► Insurance offerings

twisticles

Reaction score
...of BMW Insurance doing a 'special scheme' for the F800GS? Currently they do the F650GS, and the F800S/ST...so chances are good, yes? :nenau

Are they fussy about garages?

at the back if the 'unstoppable' leaflet I picked up at NEC in November (which covers the new 2008 models) it states the scheme is only offered on the F650GS/Dakar, F800S/ST & all G650X range which doesn't sound promising for the F800GS but you never know...

Not quite sure what a special scheme is, but they gave me a killer quote on the ADV.

All you can do is ask them for a quote.

Consolidated: F650/F800 insurance

do any of you guys know how long it takes for insurance companies to list and rate new bikes ?

will the first owners be hunting for cover due to the bike being an unknown factor??

just a thought as mine is due in april

Fair point.

From memory it's when it goes through official approval with the Dept of Transport or whatever government body is involved.

As the official launch is March the 8th I'd say you will be ok for April.

:thumb cheers that looks promising.

bit of a wait and see.

if its down to a government department the list should find its way to a layby or stolen lap top soon enough so i'll read it in the press then :augie

I rang Motorcycle Direct to get a rough quote and explained the bike wasn't out yet . They confirmed it wasn't on the list but asked if they could call me later after checking it out.They called me back within an hour and said it had been added now and gave me the quote. I double checked that they were talking about the 800GS.

Cheaper than my current bike too (Tiger1050).

I rang Motorcycle Direct to get a rough quote and explained the bike wasn't out yet . They confirmed it wasn't on the list but asked if they could call me later after checking it out.They called me back within an hour and said it had been added now and gave me the quote. I double checked that they were talking about the 800GS.

Cheaper than my current bike too (Tiger1050).

So each company has to add it? :blast

Or is it 'in the system' for all insurers? :confused:

Some Tiger owners are still having insurance based on the Sprint ST 1050 a year or more after the Tiger came out so i guess if there is a system it doesn't work too well.

It seems to be on a company to company basis, or so I found for my Beta, which some companies dont list, and so lost the business :D
However, some companies seem to have lists in common.

:eek: I just did a quote on a F800ST via MCE (my current insurer) and it's £1167 :eek: They list the 800GS, but can't quote on it :confused:

BMW quote on a 2008 ST is £285...do BMW ever refuse or load their premiums based on where its stored etc.? Or can anybody get those nice-looking BMW prices?

Second thoughts...there is a deal on for the 800ST :thedummy

800gs insurance

I too got a quote with BMW for £285 on an ST using it as a basis upon which to guess for the GS when I pick it up on the 8th March. I thought I'd be hard pushed to look past BMW if that's what it comes out at. That said, since I have a fleet policy for our car dealership, I might be better just burying it in that?

eBike want to give me back £41, and that's with the luggage covered on the 800. :D

Ok so I figure its pointless doing a comparison with the 800ST with BMW Insurance, because they have a 'special offer' on, so any quote (Comp or TPFT) will come out at £285.

So I used a 2008 1200GS as a comparison (bigger engine, more expensive, I figure it's going to be more than the 800GS). That quote came in at £629 comp...which is good news for me (based on no NCB, my location, no garage, my profession etc..).

So, yay! :aidan

insurance

I put one through ebike on the 800GS and it came out for £8000 (accessories etc) at £485 and I'll have just done the test and no previous experience on a bike. 32 and no convictions in car etc. So, maybe that'll help you calibrate.

Thanks Si, was that a comprehensive quote? A good price for a newbie :aidan

Although the key things bumping the price for me are location (dodgy central london borough), parking (communal driveway) and profession (heavily penalised profession). :eek:

Can I ask about your parking arrangements?

Back
Top Bottom