Grwyne Fawr by GS

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been reading about an interesting 'trail' on another thread, sounds like a challenge not to be missed.

Bob Jeffries was enthusing about it:

"The real men (I can say that from the safety of my armchair) might have gone a little further North West from Llantilio Pertholey, through Forest Coal Pit and over Grwyne Fawr top to drop down into Talgarth. I've done it many times on a 400KTM and intend to at least try it on the GS one day."

Well how about organising a mass GS ride over this trail sometime in 2004? Or at least an attempt :D

Would anyone be interested?

Spout said:

Well how about organising a mass GS ride over this trail sometime in 2004? Or at least an attempt :D

Spout, I'm up for it, I'll position myself on the opposite side of the valley with a long telephoto lens on my camera, and record what happens next for posterity

:D ;)

interesting trail

hi spout
sounds good i'm up for
it
nobby

Spout said:
I've been reading about an interesting 'trail' on another thread, sounds like a challenge not to be missed.

Bob Jeffries was enthusing about it:

"The real men (I can say that from the safety of my armchair) might have gone a little further North West from Llantilio Pertholey, through Forest Coal Pit and over Grwyne Fawr top to drop down into Talgarth. I've done it many times on a 400KTM and intend to at least try it on the GS one day."

The nearest to a GS you'll get up Grwyne Fawr is your 650 Dakar.........an oilhead up it............ not a chance........you may get one down it in summer.
Did it in 1996 on a 250XR.........going up in snow and on a par with Gatescarth in Lakes...........bloody difficult............with rocks the size of footballs......!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is Grwyne Fawr on a sunny day in March 1996

Attachments

• gwynnnne fawr1.jpg
    gwynnnne fawr1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 430
If Hannibal got a load of elephants over the Alps...........

:D

If Hannibal got a load of elephants over the Alps...........

But Hannibal didn't have to keep picking the elefants up........:D

I'd check it's legal status first.............

Then have a couple of Chinooks on standby:rolleyes:

Rode the easy half of it in the summer on the g/s (see pic)
I have rode the r80 up some pretty keen stuff in the past
The track is a lot harder than it used to be but i would be prepared to give it a go in the summer on the beemer so long as someone there to give me the inevitable hand !

bmwg.jpg

Re: I'd check it's legal status first.............

2 wheel humvee said:
Then have a couple of Chinooks on standby:rolleyes:

My Mum lives in Llantilio Pertholey. She said she saw a chinook flying over last week. Did someone have a go?

Please advise of dates for attempt as I intend selling tickets for the stunt show.

Medical assistance will be supplied by St John's
Chinook courtesy of the RAF
Encouragement by locals.

When Hannibal went over the Alps he had 4 wheel drive and no insurance.

Garry,

By the way your on the flat bit with no drops.

Pint on me for the first B@W GS rider down attached to bike.

Yes i know where i am on the track Have rode it loads of times for the last 20 years but never on a gs....went up it 2 weeks ago on a xr400 and i recon it's got worse recently although the corners are better...Bikes i have rode up and down it on as far as i can remember
Yam it465
500 armstrong
560 ccm
600 atk
xr400
xr600
tlr250
kdx200
yz250 yam
xr250
ttr600
wr400 husky
drz400
rmx250
dr350
note the lack of bm's in the list...I recon up it would be very very difficult/not possible on the g/s but down might be a possiblity but once you half way there certainly no turning back

Hey Spout,
I like the sound of this little trip too. Just one blot on the horizon for me: I'm very near to ordering a Dakar 650 this April. I've decided to sell the GS1150 in favour of this bike. So, need to make my mind up soonish.

Too much weight for me and too big for wot i wanna do.

Is the Dakar, in your opinion, good for trail riding and my annual touring/off road trailing in Spain?

BTW. I've booked the BMW off-road skills course in Wales on 9-10th April, for some fun, experience and to see what this bike can do.

Would appreciate your opinion, and anyone else.

timmy

Bugger. Ive just noticed that you posted this in December! Maybe the trip's off then!

Would still appreciate opinion on Dakar.

As an ex guide for the area I would advise anyone trying a route before they encourage others to try it. At least walk it first. The apres colums will be flooded with second hand parts if a group of novices are taken along and DOWN this trail. Take time to look at the memorial to a TRF member on the dodgy tern on the decent.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

As soon as I get a weekend free I'll have to pop down and see what all the fuss is about.:D

Three riders is probably the most sensible number for a first attempt. My 650 Dakar not the most sensible - but it's all I got.

I know Casey (on his XR 650) is up for it, so I'll shout for a 'third man' when I know when I'm coming down.

It really does sound more and more like one of the MUST DO trails. I'm genuinely excited ;)

Back
Top Bottom