GPS in a Truck (Tomtom V Garmin)

andyclift

Reaction score
Although not related to bike use this may be useful info. for some.

For the last couple of months I have been working as an agency truck driver doing multi-drop deliveries in London and the south east and my experience using both Tomtom Rider and Garmin 2720 for navigation may be useful.

My deliveries are mainly to catering premises, e.g. hotels, restaurants, hospitals and schools. Normally I typed in the full address, i.e. street number and name, but many companies just have a street name and most commercial streets don't show numbers on buildings so post codes were used. Most of the time the navigation was OK

First, why use both? My preference on the GS has always been the 2720 but most trucks have 24 volt electrics and I discovered the 2720 cig lighter adapter only works on 12v. One up to the Tomtom, it will power up from both 12 and 24 volt. Eventually I bought a 24v to 12v converter (most shops wanted about £40 but Maplins had them for £14.00) and now use the Garmin all the time.

Both came up with sensible routes most of the time but I now understand the headlines about satnavs forcing trucks into unsuitable roads. On standard settings both systems would occasionally take me into a very narrow country roads and it was not obvious when entering that I was driving into problems. Here the Garmin was much better as it is possible to define the type of vehicle and changing the setting to "truck" resulted in more major roads being used. It also stopped it suggesting a U turn when facing the wrong way for a route, it would find a "round the block" solution. I could also tweak the type of roads used to force the route onto more major roads. With Tomtom none of this is possible.

One area where the Garmin has been vastly superior in town is that it has never suggested turning on a "no right turn" or going the wrong way down a one way street. This was a frequent problem with the Tomtom and meant driving on and waiting for a recalculation - which was often a suggestion to make a U turn - in central London in the rush hour!!

The Garmin has another edge which is an advantage when the destination is in town or on a dual carriageway, it knows which side of the road the destination is o although sometimes it got it wrong. In town this means it is not necessary to crawl along looking on both sides of the road and on dual carriageways you finish on the correct side. An example was finding a hotel on a by pass in Hampshire, the Tomtom took me to the wrong side resulting in a ten mile trip to turn around, the Garmin got it right. I have also found the accuracy of the Garmin on the exact point of the final destination better - although not always perfect. It is sometimes a bit out with street numbers but postcode destinations are normally spot on.

When entering postcodes the Tomtom just accepts the code as the destination but the Garmin also asks for a street number, if available, and displays the road the code is on - which is a useful double check and has solved a problem when I have been given faulty postcodes. They are easier to enter in the Tomtom though as the screen offers letters and numbers. The Garmin is a nuisance having to enter letters on one screen, change screen for numbers then back again for the final letters. It does not sound a big problem but entering up to 40 a day with codes like SW3X 3TH is much more time consuming.

Its about time I gave Tomtom a point and it is much quicker to turn on and find a sat fix. Both can lose fix in London streets and if stopped under bridges and although the Tomtom loses fix more often it gets it back quicker. It's not normally a problem when the Garmin loses a fix except when stuck under a bridge in a traffic jam. One can sometimes pass a junction with a turn required before the fix comes back.

Something that affects the 2720 and a few other Garmins is the lack of a battery. It's never been a problem on the bike but some of the trucks turn off the cig socket with the ignition which means waiting for the longish boot sequence after a stop or when the plug vibrates out of the socket.

For the job I have been doing traffic info is useful and on the Tomtom I have a few months left on the free traffic subscription they gave me and have the plug in traffic info unit. The Garmin system works in real time from radio transmitted data and has proved really useful. The Tomtom system is next to useless as it involves making a Bluetooth connection to a data enabled mobile phone and making a call to download the latest data. To be of any practical use it would mean making a fresh data call every few minutes so I can't say how good the data is. I beleive Tomtom is adopting the Garmin system now.

Now the big plus for the Garmin with multiple destinations. It is possible to enter many destinations as a route and then tell it to sort them into the best order. In my job the office staff, based on experience, sort the drops. Then the truck is loaded in "drop order" ready for me to drive off in the morning. I did a test of the system by checking the track log for a day (can't do this with Tomtom). My route covered 104 miles. I then told the Garmin to reorder the drops and the result was 64 miles. This would have been a massive saving in time and fuel costs. I can't make maximum use of this feature as the truck is loaded "in order" when I arrive in the morning but on days when I have a number of drops in different towns I have saved a lot of time by doing the first one, then entering all the others as a route and fixing the final destination as the first drop in the next town.

One theoretical advantage with the Tomtom is that it also acts as a hands free for my phone but in practice I found that using it for navigation and hands free was a nuisance. A call would come in when I was just about to go through a complex junction and the damned screen would change to incoming call. Also of course the Tomtom Rider requires a Bluetooth earpiece to get the instructions but the 2720 has a speaker (not a problem with the Rider Mark 2 with a car bracker with built in speaker).

Finally. Both units enabled me to get the job done and most of the differences in use are relatively minor but the frustration of the Tomtom sending me down unsuitable roads and suggesting turns I could not legally make means the Garmin is easily the best system

you can get a peice of third party software for the TomTom for free that allows you to track your location.

Think its called NMEA logger from memory.

Nice review, not sure I agree with all the points and some of my experiences are to the contrary but its nice to see a unbias comparative review as people are always so quick to add feelings and emotions into reviews.

:thumb2

For the job I have been doing traffic info is useful and on the Tomtom I have a few months left on the free traffic subscription they gave me and have the plug in traffic info unit. The Garmin system works in real time from radio transmitted data and has proved really useful. The Tomtom system is next to useless as it involves making a Bluetooth connection to a data enabled mobile phone and making a call to download the latest data. To be of any practical use it would mean making a fresh data call every few minutes so I can't say how good the data is. I beleive Tomtom is adopting the Garmin system now.

My TomTom Rider downloads automatically everytime the update is posted, so works in realtime.

Interesting review, you dont mention which model TomTom you were using?

It's quite rare to get a review on here, never mind a comparison between two devises doing the same job, well done Andy :thumb2

For anyone interested, ProNav have recently launched a GPS aimed at HGV/LCV and Blue Badge drivers that could be useful,
http://www.pronav.co.uk/

Thanks everyone for their comments. Although it is clear from my original post that I have a strong preference for Garmin but it is not my intention to "rubbish" Tomtom. They are both good satnavs and in Tomtom's favour the Garmin was much more expensive. Also I guess that others will have different experiences. My comments were based on many situations that may not be relevant on a bike. For example, a suggestion to turn right on a "no right turn" is normally a minor problem on a bike - just go on and do a U turn. On a large truck it can be a real pain. My wife normally uses one of our Rider units on her bike and car and has no problems, it always gets her where she wants to go. When we are out together it is often the case that my Garmin and her Tomtom will suggest different routes. Sometimes the Tomtom route makes more sense and sometimes the Garmin route is better but both do the job OK.

Backmarker. I am using Tomtom Rider (both Mark 1 and 2, makes no difference) Interested that you automatically get traffic updates but I guess this means a data call via mobile all the time. If so I guess you are paying for the downloads but with the radio system used by Garmin (and I think on some Tomtom units now) it costs nothing once the adaptor is purchased. I have been really impressed with the Garmin system. As soon as a new alert on my route is received the voice will announce that there is a delay or X minutes and give the option of navigating around it. I was really impressed with this when "Operation Stack" on the M20 closed the road last week as the alternative suggested by the satnav also avoided the crawling traffic on the obvious A20 alternative.

Thanks Martinc.d and ebbo for their links.

Zerocool. I have tried some track logging software on the Tomtom and although it works I don't find it as easy as the built in facility on the Garmin which enables me to easily download the log to Mapsource and view on the map. It is a facility that I rarely find a use for but it did enable me to check a route produced by the company based on paper maps and past drivers knowledge against a route suggested by the satnav which showed that the satnav (particularly the Garmin autorouting option) could do a much better job.

One thing I did not mention on my comparison is the ability to view a map on the units. On the Garmin one press on the screen shows a map and on the Tomtom I can press for Main Menu, press for screen 2 and select Browse Map (or when on a route press bottom right, select details and select Browse Map of Route. As I use the map a lot the one press Garmin option has the edge. On both units the maps are useful but I wish Tomtom would dump the slider on the right of the screen to change scale and adopt the Garmin + and - buttons. I find using the slider awkward and I can never hit the scale I want as the scale shown on screen while "sliding" is not the same as shown once the finger is lifted. Also it is easy to catch the slider while "dragging" the screen.

Finally a small point. I like having a compass on screen and the Tomtom compass is clear and can show direction as degrees or SE, NW etc. The Garmin compass is awful, a small outlined white arrow which is normally against a white map background or lost in the map detail.

Personally as an occasional HGV C+E driver I would never use a sat nav they will at some point send you down a road that is unsuitable, also the issue of relying on this equipment means that you are never really now where you are also will eventually put you into a situation where you could end up stuck IMHO.

Tufty

After using the 2720 for five days per week for two months I find it hard to agree. I spent 25 years in sales, travelling around the UK using maps and I think satnav is the best invention ever for anyone needing to find adddresses anywhere in the country quickly.

I use the satnav to find up to 50 addresses per day ranging from country farms to central London hotels and restaurants I never want to go back to maps. It has never been more than a few yards out in its destination position. After one drop it takes a few seconds to enter the next and I don't spend a lot of time with a map working out a route.

The worst that has happened is "suggesting" a route which included a 9' 9" height limit and the very occasional 6' 6" width restriction. Overcoming this is no problem as its just a case of two screen clicks to tell the system to re-route. As my maps don't show height and width restrictions either I would be no better off - indeed worse of as I would have to find somewhere to park and work out a new route. Indeed with the satnav I could get add-on software to allow for height limits but its such an occasional problem that is easy to overcome that, for me, its not worth the cost.

The satnav has NEVER sent me down an unsuitable road as it never sends me anywhere. It just makes suggestions and I am still the guy controlling the steering. There have been times in London where it suggests a turn and I think "that's a bit tight" so I drive past and it immediately and automatically finds a new route. Again I would be no better off with a map as that can't tell me there are cars parked down both sides of a narrow road or where the council have put steel posts on corners making it impossible to get round.

Relying on the equipment means you never really know where you are? Sorry but I don't understand this objection. I always know where I am. The normal navigation screen shows the road I am on and the names of surrounding roads, one screen click shows me a map that I can zoom in and out of to show general location or exact position with an accuracy of about 10 feet. I could if necessary read of my co-ordinates in degrees or British National grid. The later making it very easy for a recovery truck to find me when I brioke down. I phoned the driver with the co-ordinates and he entered them in his satnav. How easy is that?

When my company phones to ask what time I will be back or get to the next drop I can read the time on the screen which allows for known traffic problems. Not 100% accurate but better than guessing.

My satnav gives me warnings of traffic congestion and offers routes to avoid it and warns of speed cameras using a database that is never more than four weeks out of date. It is also a lot safer to jusr glance at a map on the windscreen which always shows exactly where I am rather than having to work with an atlas on the passenger seat.

Satnavs are not perfect but neither are maps and I certainly would not go back to a book on the pasenger seat.

I also use a Garmin 2820 for HGV driving. I pilot a 16 ton Monaco Diplomat RV around Europe with a 2 ton trailer. I have tried using maps and have got myself into some very difficult situations. Since purchasing the 2820 the only problems I have encountered is with low bridges on the routes it suggests for trucks.

I have downloaded the Low Bridges plug-in which now eliminates the problem provided I set the proximity alert for 5000ft, otherwise it give the low bridge warning just as it comes into view……not helpful on very small roads!

One comparison between maps and satnav.

I live on an unmade road which is just about wide enough, in places, for two cars to pass.OS maps and road atlases show it as a normal country road. The London A to Z shows it as a major road access to the village. The result is that we frequently see HGVs, including on one occasion a car transporter, struggling to get down it and destroying the residnets efforts to keep the surface in an acceptable condition.

Both my Garmin and my Tomtom show the road as unmade. Maybe if more HGV drivers had satnav the road wold not be in such a bad state.

Sorry off topic!

Andy, I can't PM you so please excuse the post here...

I have a link on my website to www.andyclift.co.uk here which is now a 'dead' link - have you moved your webpages or has the content all disappeared into the ether now?
You can email me:
andyw DOT inuk AT gmail DOT com

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom