The Orphanage in Calarasi, Moldova

Will you give 12 pounds for orphanage and get a free book?

• Yes, count me in.

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave Barrett

Reaction score
It's been almost a year since I returned from a brief visit to the orphanage and school for mentally handicapped children in Calarasi, and I'm almost in a position to offer some much needed help, but I need support from the UKGS'ers. You want to know how? Then read on...

One of the main things that struck me there was the poor state of the toilets (see pics below). The whole building, which currently houses about ninety children and forty staff, has a grand total of ten toilets. Of these ten, seven are in extremely poor condition and in need of complete renovation, with three already having been brought up to an acceptable standard. A complete renovation of each toilet costs about 300 Euros, which for us is not much, but for local conditions costs the earth! To put things into perspective, some 40% of the Moldovan population survive on a daily income of just $2.15. My contact in the local Calarasi goverment is well-educated and therefore well-paid in her job. Her salary? 100 Euros per month.

Starting on Friday 27th June, a number of local cyclists start off from Bühl on a charity bicycle ride to Calarasi, a distance of some 2,500 kilometres, with over 20,000 metres altitude difference. The goal - to raise money for the orphanage.

Although I'm involved in the project, I wanted to do something myself to help out, specifically, to raise enough money to renovate the toilets. To be able to raise some money, I decided to write a small book about motorcycling in Eastern Europe, which of course includes the ride from Bühl to Calarasi and back that I did last year. The book is "almost" available. I say "almost", because two-thirds of the first run are somewhere between the UK and Germany at the moment. I plan to launch the book at the first Horizons Unlimited German Meeting (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/meetings/Germany2008.php), where I will also be giving an illustrated talk.

What I'd like to know is how many here would be willing to support by buying a book. Actually, don't think of it as buying a book, but giving money to a poor orphanage and getting the book for free! I am paying all of the printing costs myself, so that every single penny earned from the GBP 12 cover price can go directly to the orphanage.

The book has 126 pages and is printed in full colour with 82 photographs and 11 maps. At present, there are 150 copies, but if demand is enough, I'll get some more printed so that even more money can be raised.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Mods: Any chance of making this "sticky"?

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 253
  • CoverPic.jpg
    CoverPic.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 249
So far only 36 views and no poll results:tears

All books are now in my possession and as from next week, when I've been to see Postman Fritz to enquire about postage, they'll be available to send out. In the past, I've always seen that the Tossers are a generous bunch and always willing to help out people less fortunate than themselves, and I hope this will continue :thumb

Thanks once again!

Dave

Thanks for the support so far, although at this rate, I should have got 15 printed and not 150 :augie

I sold only a handful at the Horizons Unlimited Germany Meeting, although the Brits supported me no end, both by buying and during my talk.

All being well, books should be ready for despatching at the weekend. I'd rather wait until everything is ready before advertising availability, rather than taking people's money and not being able to send anything off.

Cheers!

Dave

OK Guys, thanks once again - I've now bought a large quantity of padded envelopes and been to the post office to work out postage costs, so am now in a position to start sending books out.

I've created a new thread which makes this poll more or less redundant, apart from the toilet pictures :augie

The new thead is:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147705

I hope that I'll be receiving a few PM's soon:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Dave

I posted this on the related thread, since I've brought myself into complete confusion about which thread is which. OK, it doesn't take much to get me cofused these days :rob ...........

Thanks to those that have ordered so far. I had to rent a small truck to go to the post office today :augie (I wish!) (A skatebord would have been sufficient ;) )

I just wanted to let you guys know that books are now on their way to you. Only another 128 books to go before I've exhausted my stock :thedummy

Thank you kindly for rounding up the amount - this means more money for the orphanage :thumb2

got it , and read it, its a good book , written in plain English with v good piccys (ok for ugg then too)
its worth a read, in particular the orphanage and border crossings:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Dave
Got the book - read it cover to cover. Really enjoyed it - good pics. made we want to go east.

Also brought home how little money (from our perspective) can make a real difference to someone's lives.

Thinking about what 10 x tossers pay to fill their tanks would sort out the toilet for those kids. keep at it and us posted on progress.

Phil

Dave
Got the book - read it cover to cover. Really enjoyed it - good pics. made we want to go east.

Also brought home how little money (from our perspective) can make a real difference to someone's lives.

Thinking about what 10 x tossers pay to fill their tanks would sort out the toilet for those kids. keep at it and us posted on progress.

Phil

Thanks for the kind words Phil and glad you enjoyed it. So long as I don't start p155ing people off by the occasional bump ;) , I'm keeping at it. Yesterday I managed a small scoop - there will be an article and extract in next month's Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom