Off road tracks/byways near Southampton ?

millard

Reaction score
Following on from Dolly Rocket and Clive's excellent threads about byways up around Basingstoke and Reading areas, does any one have any similar info about legal off roading/byways closer to the Southampton area?
thanks
millard

If you can go a little further a field, try Salisbury plain the biggest playground in the country. As long as the military are not messing around you have all the tracks you need..... It’s fantastic

BrianR

If you can go a little further a field, try Salisbury plain the biggest playground in the country. As long as the military are not messing around you have all the tracks you need..... It’s fantastic

BrianR

Brian, are they legal routes?
I ask because when I commented on your post to someone he sent me this.

"There are wardens on Salisbury plain - and the mod-plod have a helicopter. I have a pic of some bikes; the helicopter and plod. As it happened the guys knew where they were and plod didn't, or it might have become a bit more serious. You is heading for a crushing."

wht d'you think?

millard

Hi

There are indeed legal rights of way and as long as the red flags aren’t flying and you stick to the routes (get the appropriate OS map or GPS) then its legal. I even phone the warden every time before going and tell him of my intentions. This helps him and also makes sure I don’t get confused for "nutters" who spoil it for everyone. I usually join at the top of the old Marlbough road or the Bustard inn and Travel towards the training village (which is a very odd place) Your bike must be taxed and tested and as long as you don’t go bonkers and stick to the tracks the wardens wont bother you. I ride with my son and partner all on XR's most weekends and have never had a problem, sometimes I am stopped but as long as you’re legal the wardens are cool.

Hi

There are indeed legal rights of way and as long as the red flags aren’t flying and you stick to the routes (get the appropriate OS map or GPS) then its legal. I even phone the warden every time before going and tell him of my intentions. This helps him and also makes sure I don’t get confused for "nutters" who spoil it for everyone. I usually join at the top of the old Marlbough road or the Bustard inn and Travel towards the training village (which is a very odd place) Your bike must be taxed and tested and as long as you don’t go bonkers and stick to the tracks the wardens wont bother you. I ride with my son and partner all on XR's most weekends and have never had a problem, sometimes I am stopped but as long as you’re legal the wardens are cool.

Thanks for that Brian
I'm off to WH Smiths sometime soon for a coupla OS maps. Do you know which number I need for the plain? Also in the meantime do you happen to have a Garmin route on MapSource?
Cheers
Millard

Hi

You need OS Landranger Map sheet 184. I use the FUGAWI digital map on my PDA linked to a bluetooth GPS all sealed in a waterproof case strapped to my sons bike (I give him the responsibility of navigating now as I did it for years) There is a map shop at the bottom of Shirley high street which does all the maps you will ever want and the digital stuff too. If you want the number for the warden (recommended in my view) then send me a PM

Brian

Thanks for that Brian
I'm off to WH Smiths sometime soon for a coupla OS maps. Do you know which number I need for the plain? Also in the meantime do you happen to have a Garmin route on MapSource?
Cheers
Millard
130/131 Explorer
184 Landranger

If you want a cheap (well compared to the competition) solution to digital mapping on your PC, try http://www.mapyx.com/index.asp, they have a 20% sale on almost everything this bank holiday weekend (use code IQYOU).

I bought the full UK 1:50K for £99 some time ago and have been building up the 1:25K tiles as I go along (including the plain).

I've tried most of the competition (Memory Map and Anquet) and I think that this system is easily an equal and for the money you can't beat it. These maps also show BOATS and RUPPS quite clearly.

:clap:clap

PS I'll post this in the bargain forum also

Brian/Clive, thanks. I went to Shirley Rd this morning and got three maps.

Stonetown, thanks also. I asked at the map shop about digital and the guy said 100 quid each :eek
I'll have a look into your link, thanks all.
millard

If you want a cheap (well compared to the competition) solution to digital mapping on your PC, try http://www.mapyx.com/index.asp, they have a 20% sale on almost everything this bank holiday weekend (use code IQYOU).

I bought the full UK 1:50K for £99 some time ago and have been building up the 1:25K tiles as I go along (including the plain).

I've tried most of the competition (Memory Map and Anquet) and I think that this system is easily an equal and for the money you can't beat it. These maps also show BOATS and RUPPS quite clearly.

:clap:clap

PS I'll post this in the bargain forum also

Just had another thought ( they only come very infrequently these days)
Is this software compatible with garmin?

Cheers

Just had another thought ( they only come very infrequently these days)
Is this software compatible with garmin?

Cheers

I haven't used it for importing/exporting (or any other type of operation) waypoints with my GPS yet, but I believe it does most formats and real time plotting.

Just make sure you check your new maps against Hampshire CC definitive map. I've found several lanes on the latest OS maps that are marked as BOATS, only to get there and find they are now RB's! :spitfire

Just make sure you check your new maps against Hampshire CC definitive map. I've found several lanes on the latest OS maps that are marked as BOATS, only to get there and find they are now RB's! :spitfire

How do you go about doing that?? :nenau

BrianR

Im looking to cut my teeth on some green lanes soon and would like some advice on some basic / easy routes on Salisbury Plain I could try.

I'm not on GPS, so start / end point place names (or old school grid ref's) would be appreciated!

Cheers,
A.

Im looking to cut my teeth on some green lanes soon and would like some advice on some basic / easy routes on Salisbury Plain I could try.

I'm not on GPS, so start / end point place names (or old school grid ref's) would be appreciated!

Cheers,
A.

There's a few of us that head out from winchester most weekends towards the 'plain, one way or another.

The group is usually of mixed ability. Your welcome to tag along if you like??

Nathan

Cool! :thumb2 Cheers Nathan.

I'm kinda busy for the next few weekends, but will PM you when the occasion arises if thats ok?

Back
Top Bottom