Kids on the pillion - how old??

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Firstly, I had no idea where to post this thread so here it is...

My eldest son is still way too young to be on the back of my bike (unless it's just down the road and back and Mum's out, of course...) but I really can't wait until he's old enough to come with me on a few rides.

So, have you been through this? Obviously it'll depend a bit on the kid in question and how reliably you can trust him to sit still, but at what age do you think they can start to ride with you?

Paul G

There's no age limit, but they have to be able to reach the pillion footpegs comfortably (that's a legal thing) and the rest is commonsense. Is he going to hold on properly? Sit still? Or act the ejit? FWIW, my daughter was on the back of my bike at 6.

My own children used to pillion when they were 6 - basically when they could reach the pegs and get a helmet to be a good fit.

I've had my grandson as a pillion from 6 also. Initially had to make up some home made peg raisers (blocks of wood and duct tape :augie ). He is now 8 and can reach the pegs ok. I always have a topbox fitted to help him not fall off the back and generally have the panniers on for an added feeling of security for him.

He also likes byways :)

Jockser and I took his two sons away for a couple of days last summer. The younger chap was almost 10 at the time and the elder fella was almost 13.

The boys swapped bikes each day and both of them were excellent pillion riders, which may be as a result of having their own bike.

Firstly, I had no idea where to post this thread so here it is...

My eldest son is still way too young to be on the back of my bike (unless it's just down the road and back and Mum's out, of course...) but I really can't wait until he's old enough to come with me on a few rides.

So, have you been through this? Obviously it'll depend a bit on the kid in question and how reliably you can trust him to sit still, but at what age do you think they can start to ride with you?

Paul G

It all depends on the kid, some are great and some just wont know what to do and can be unpredictable.
I have 3 kids and although the twins are now 26 and away, they still love a wee spin with Dad. My wee girl is 11 and loves it. I first started her when she was a toddler sitting up front holding the bars and i just tootled around the back of the house.
Started to collect her from school when she was in primary 4, about 8 years old, but thats just around the corner about 2 miles on fairly quite country roads. Take her out now whenever i can.

P.S. looking for textile trousers for her 26 waist with 28 inside leg.:augie

I took my 8 yr old to school daily for about a year. All I'd add to the rest is that one of the belts you can wear with handles on the side are great - especially if you are the typical GS girth (= fat b*stard) and the poor kid cant hold on round the middle.

I think as has been said it is more to do wit the kid than the age. My son really wanted to go and could touch the pegs at 8 so I took him on quite a few weekend rides last summer. He loves to be dropped off or collected on the bike in front of his friends!

My daughter who is now the same age is not confident about doing it so I am not going to push her into it. - I did have to tell my son to stop reporting back to his mother the speed that we were traveling at! - Innocence of youth eh?

It is a great thing to share with your kids.

ps I got some of those love handles waist belt things, - more for peace of mind of his mum than anything else but they do work really well.

I first road a pillion at the age of 10 - at the time I could easily reach the pegs and there was a fair choice of helmets that were not too loose. As my brother was the biker there was a fair amount of parental opposition to me riding - this was solved when the only option to get somewhere happened to be on 2 wheels. :) Mind you I had already been on it before then ;)

As eveyone else seems to have said - the pegs and helmet are the important bit - but would still recommend some other safety clothing - even if it does mean using their skate board protection for elbows and knees.

eldest daughter was 7 before she came on the bike she a bit of a short arse, middle daughter was on the back when she was 6 the youngest has nt bothered yet.

take the kids or not it is a decision you have to live with if something goes wrong IMHO, you will have to look their mother in face and explain it i personally never took the risk when my children or grandchildren were little, you cant be sure you are not going to meet the myopic twat with his thumb up his @rse and his brain in neutral in his volvo(or insert vehicle of choice).
It is a very indivual decison only you can make.

Back
Top Bottom