Calling Liv, going to Norway (last minute change of mind)

BigAlMacMac

Reaction score
Spent ages planning our alpine trip which starts today in Zeebrugge BUT.

The weather forecast is dreadful for the next 10days in the alps and very settled in Scandinavia.

So have decided to go North instead but have not done any research. Am frantically printing off Livs various tips and can review on the ferry.

But if anyone is listeneing now and can help... most welcome.

1. Is there any value in getting ferry/bridge from Denmark to Sweden or just get ferry to Kristiansand?

2. What next? round the coast towards Sandnes? Over the hills to Edland/explore Telemark area?

3. Is there a sensible combination of roads around the coast and over the hills?

4. Are there any scenic must sees? (We like coast and mountains more than cities)

Thanks to anyone who can help... all a bit of a panic really... well adventure more than panic... off to the unknown:)

1. Don't know.
2. Don't know.
3. Don't know.
4. Don't know.

Sorry I know it's no help but no one else had replied so thought you might be getting concerned that nobody could see your posting or something.
At least you know it's readable by all and sundry now.

Thanks to anyone who can help... all a bit of a panic really... well adventure more than panic... off to the unknown:)

It's an adventure. Enjoy.
And be careful.

Is there any value in getting ferry/bridge from Denmark to Sweden or just get ferry to Kristiansand?
Never caught the ferry to Kristiansand, but I have ridden across Denmark and Southern Sweden (en route to Karlskrona / Poland) and remember that some of the bridges were amazing. There may have been more, but 2 in particular were awesome. Just a pity I couldn't stop to take some photos. :(

I caught the DFDS ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg. The on-board food was some of the best I have ever eaten, and is highly recommended. :thumb2

Go to Kristiansand

Spent ages planning our alpine trip which starts today in Zeebrugge BUT.

The weather forecast is dreadful for the next 10days in the alps and very settled in Scandinavia.

So have decided to go North instead but have not done any research. Am frantically printing off Livs various tips and can review on the ferry.

But if anyone is listeneing now and can help... most welcome.

1. Is there any value in getting ferry/bridge from Denmark to Sweden or just get ferry to Kristiansand? Avoid Sweden, unless you have plenty of time. Otherwise just a waste of valuable time better spent on som twisty west coast or mountain roads in Norway.

2. What next? round the coast towards Sandnes? Over the hills to Edland/explore Telemark area? Reccomend Telemark and then Suleskard if you like to go west early, or continue north to Haukeli and then either west or further north to Odda->Hardangerfjord

3. Is there a sensible combination of roads around the coast and over the hills? Plenty, but hard to reccomend unless you say something about how long you like to drive every day

4. Are there any scenic must sees? (We like coast and mountains more than cities) Yes, but what do you fancy? Scenic views, water falls, old settlements, churches, museums...

How do plan to spend your nights? And how do plan to return to UK. There is a ferry from Bergen to New Castle if you want to reach further north or to spend more time in Norway

PS Make sure you check that the mountain passes you plan to use are open. A lot of snow in the Norwegian mountains this winter.

We plan to B&B but have camping stuff in case we get stuck or that looks like the most interesting option.

Probably come back Bergen to Newcastle.

Currently just west of Hanover and hopfully get to top of Denmark tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

Made up your mind, or?

We plan to B&B but have camping stuff in case we get stuck or that looks like the most interesting option.

Probably come back Bergen to Newcastle.

Currently just west of Hanover and hopfully get to top of Denmark tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

Alan, I may mail you some suggestions this evening if you still are open to suggestions and would like some input. If so how many hours (actually driving) do you plan each day - and how many days do you plan to spend in N?

Hi 1Rider,

still very much open to suggestions. Got the ferry to Kristiansand this pm and am now in expensive hotel in Grimstad. Nice place though.

Will likely return Bergen to Newcastle.

You can email me at alan @ actionus . co. uk

(without the spaces) :aidan

Will be here for 9 more days.

From this pms experience accomodation is not easy to find but will be going to tourist info tomorrow.

Do Norwegians have the concept of B&B?

Cheers

Alan

Hi
From Kristiandsand,take the Setesdalen all the way to Odda,then continue to Brimsnes-Bruravik ferry,drive to Voss.
Get a cabin at Tvinde camping,(big waterfall)just north of Voss on the road to Gudvangen or continue a few km ,and you will see a camping ground by the river on your left handside across a small bridge,they are cheaper.
Drive to Vik in Sogn ,take the ferry to Dragsnes,contniue over the Gaular mountains to Jølster.
Jølster to Byrkjelo then Stryn,I am not shure if the road to Geiranger is open yet,call 175 or get the locals at the camping ground to find out for you
If Geiranger road is closed drive from Stryn to Hellesylt-then Stranda,get the ferry across to Valldal,then drive the Trollstigen to Aandalsnes.
This road opend yesterday 2 UK guys on GS first across this year (on the news)
From Aandalsnes to Dombås-Oppdal-Trondheim get on road 17 towards Bodø,ferry to Lofoton
Lofoten to Bjerkvik.turn soutward to Narvik
continue on E6 all the way to Otta,drive towards Lom ,on the way there is a road that goes agross to Beitostølen/Fagernes cant remember what it says on the sign,but you are looking to cross the Valdresflya,ask the locals if stuck
Go to Beitostølen then Fagernes,take a right in Fagernes when you come down from the mountain drive to Tyin,get in the 25km tunnel just before Lærdal,arrive in Aurland drive to Flom 2 new tunnels one 5km the other 11 km,arrive in Gudvangen,drive to Voss then from Voss to Bergen.
Easy trip 8days\late evenings
Cheers
Fishburger.

Hi!

Good to see Fishburger helped you! :)

I was buisy making my tub (the old bike&sidecar) ready for my first summer meeting this year: Vik at Sogn.

I know it is way too late to help in this thread, but it won't harm to tell you where I have been lately? :)

I went to the meeting at Vik;
-I rode Oslo-Kongsberg-Dagali-Geilo-Hol-Aurland-Flåm-Undredal-Gudvangen-Vinje-Vikafjell (snow!)-Vik: the meeting.
Then ferry, Sogndal-Kaupanger-ferry-(Lærdal)-Øvra Årdal-Utladalen. I reelaxed for a day or two, went to Seimsdalen and Indre Offerdal/Ofredal and the dark&steep tunnel Offerdalstunnel, and back to my tent.
Then back to Sogndal, at Solvorn I missed the ferry to Urnes so I rode to Urnes, I arrived there late so I asked the farmer where to sleep taht night. He showed me a spot next to where hes raspberrys grow, nice! :)
Then Sognefjellet to Lom-Vågå-Lemonsjøen-Randsverk-Heidal (with many old timbered farms)-Sjoa-Vinstra-Brandbu-Nittedal-home. =9 days, me & my tub! :thumb2

So, when I had washed my delicates and got more food in my bags I packed my tub and off I went again:
Oslo-Holmestrand-Hønefoss-Gran-Brandbu-Vinstra-Dombås-Hjerkinn-Oppdal, and 30 km direction west from Oppdal to Vollan camping and a meeting. 3 bikes (including my tub) showed up! :beerjug:
Sunday the front wheel was flat... OK, then, Plan B = leave Vollan on Monday, no problem! :cool:
Sunndalsøra, a narrow gravelroad up in the mountain: Litldalen-Torbuvatn-Aursjøen-Eikesdalen = really great roads! Hairpins, gravel, stunning view, snow = perfect! I spent one night up there, alone, no campsite.
Then back on main road to Ålesund (AAlesund)-Dombås-Sjoa, turned off the largest road and rode Gausdal and Helvete (helvete = hell), back on main road - Lillehammer-Brandbu-Nittedal-home.
9 days! :thumb2

So, did I get any problem?
-The flat wheel was fixed on sunday; I had a new tube, and some tools, all I needed was a rescue firm to pick up my wheel and put the new tub inside, and bring it back to me. No problem!
-A few km before I arrived Aurland on the Hol-Aurland-road suddenly my bike was dead as a dodo. It took me 4 sec to locate the bad cabel shoe, and 30 min to empty my sidecar and find my tools at the bottom of it... -and 3 min to fix the cabel shoe! No problem!
:cool::)

Next weekend I'm off again, but this time only for 3 days.

So this is why I'm not here at ukgser often; -I'm out there having fun! :bounce1

:) Liv.

Back
Top Bottom